Official power figures: New 3.5 Ecoboost and Powerboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it’s pretty sad that we are putting the cart before the horse w/ EVs essentially “forcing” automakers hand to move in that direction despite the fact they had plenty of room to refine the traditional ICE further along w/ hybrid variants. There’s very little emissions from many standard economy ICE vehicles today. It’s sad that we are jumping on a technology without a ******** CLUE how the grid will support the EV draw, how to make the grid “green” so that the EVs can be touted as green also, or how to charge the ******** things in any reasonable amount of time....or dispose of the hazardous waste generated in the mining, production/refining, & non-closed loop “recycling” phases of the LI ion battery life. Sad.

I’m ride to die on ICE/hybrid vehicles until I can truly believe that when I plug my EV in to charge the energy ain’t coming from coal, burnt trash, or some other polluting electrical source, until i can count on being able to charge my EV anywhere within reason of a 500 mile radius of my home w/o being stranded, until I KNOW the vehicles can be recycled efficiently & in an environmentally sound fashion, or until you Can pry the keys to my gas guzzling muscle car from my cold dead hand lol!

Charlton? Lmao

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While disagree that engines suck (nothing better than the soul rending sound of a well tuned n/a v8 or v12)...you make a solid point on the lack of new propulsion tech in the automotive industry. It’s pretty sad that it took the emergence of cell phones to drive battery innovation enough that EVs could become a reality.

I can't express how tired I am of hearing about how an engine sounds. Yes, I like a good sounding engine. But when it comes to my list of wants in an engine, how it sounds comes in pretty much dead last behind power, torque, fuel economy, where the torque peaks, weight, etc.

You guys are like when a husband coming home with a new corvette and you're the wife that says, "I don't like the color"

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't express how tired I am of hearing about how an engine sounds. Yes, I like a good sounding engine. But when it comes to my list of wants in an engine, how it sounds comes in pretty much dead last behind power, torque, fuel economy, where the torque peaks, weight, etc.

You guys are like when a husband coming home with a new corvette and you're the wife that says, "I don't like the color"

Me personally, I’m looking at all the good things. I make mention of the exhaust note as I know a lot of old timers and people general want or miss the V8 notes. I have grown to deal with or like the eco boost tone. It’s more “car” sounding, but once I know I hear that high pitched weed whacker sound, I know I’m flying! A can live without the V8 sound.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While disagree that engines suck (nothing better than the soul rending sound of a well tuned n/a v8 or v12)...you make a solid point on the lack of new propulsion tech in the automotive industry. It’s pretty sad that it took the emergence of cell phones to drive battery innovation enough that EVs could become a reality.

EVs are not new propulsion really. Both EVs and ICE are using power to turn the wheels mechanically. New fuel perhaps. New propulsion would be putting on tank tracks, using a propeller, or jet engine on the back. All of which you could do, but would really be crappy for a daily driver. And although I think phone batteries did add some help to EVs, I think government subsidies, fuel prices at times, and environmental concerns had a much bigger impact in moving EV tech forward. You remove those things and there's no way Musk gets the backing to start making Teslas.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Me personally, I’m looking at all the good things. I make mention of the exhaust note as I know a lot of old timers and people general want or miss the V8 notes. I have grown to deal with or like the eco boost tone. It’s more “car” sounding, but once I know I hear that high pitched weed whacker sound, I know I’m flying! A can live without the V8 sound.

It ain’t more “car sounding” it’s more V6tt sounding lol!

I’d probably argue most cars you can “hear” are either a turbo 4 or a V8 these days- most of the N/A V4/V6s I hear are whisper quiet. Then again....the only other “car” w/ the same engine as the Raptor is a Le Mans runner, so I’ll take it lol!

I def enjoy the sound of a throaty burbly V8....but “miss” it? Much like people will Eventually realize the music of the 90s > 60s They will also come to grips w/ the fact that The current period & 10 or so years leading up to it has been THE era for V8/performance/gearhead type vehicles in general. It’s just bitterSweet....b/c it may be the end!

ironic that this could even be a question considering we’re literally discussing it on a forum dedicated to a Baja off-roading dune jumping truck w/ 4 doors that tows 8k lbs can run in AWD & make 500bhp 600tq @ the crank w/ relative ease while getting your ass AC’d !!!

mopar putting out a 6.2 L blown 707hp ******** jeep!

a challenger that wheelies from the factory!

a mustang that can compete w/ true exotics!

I don’t miss em- I just wanna enjoy it while it lasts- b/c it def won’t last forever

Last edited:

adam0311

Reaction score
And although I think phone batteries did add some help to EVs, I think government subsidies, fuel prices at times, and environmental concerns had a much bigger impact in moving EV tech forward. You remove those things and there's no way Musk gets the backing to start making Teslas.

No doubt all those conditions were factors, but many of those factors had been in play for years and no viable EVs. Fine tuning the lithium ion battery, reducing processing cost, increasing efficiency was a important factor and it was initially driven by demand for hand held devices.

Smokyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting for certain. My take is reliability. History is littered with high output, small engines that disintegrate after a short lifespan. I too could care less about how it sounds, more how my butt feels when I put the pedal to the floor. The 3.5 in my 18' is faster and more reliable than my old 69 Mach One and even handles better. Technology big thumbs up!

I for one am excited about the new Raptor and engine possibilities.
One not discussed is the Electric F150 and Mach E. My guess is once the all electric F150 hits the market competing against the Rivian, Cybertruck and maybe the Badger, can a full electric Raptor be far behind?

Think Ford has already considered it an option?

I say yes...:)
V/R
Smokey

adam0311

Reaction score
it’s pretty sad that we are putting the cart before the horse w/ EVs essentially “forcing” automakers hand to move in that direction despite the fact they had plenty of room to refine the traditional ICE further along w/ hybrid variants. There’s very little emissions from many standard economy ICE vehicles today. It’s sad that we are jumping on a technology without a ******** CLUE how the grid will support the EV draw, how to make the grid “green” so that the EVs can be touted as green also, or how to charge the ******** things in any reasonable amount of time....or dispose of the hazardous waste generated in the mining, production/refining, & non-closed loop “recycling” phases of the LI ion battery life. Sad.

I’m ride to die on ICE/hybrid vehicles until I can truly believe that when I plug my EV in to charge the energy ain’t coming from coal, burnt trash, or some other polluting electrical source, until i can count on being able to charge my EV anywhere within reason of a 500 mile radius of my home w/o being stranded, until I KNOW the vehicles can be recycled efficiently & in an environmentally sound fashion, or until you Can pry the keys to my gas guzzling muscle car from my cold dead hand lol!

I share many of your concerns on long term implications of EVs, especially battery recycling as lithium ion is toxic and potentially volatile.

In my mind this isn’t a zero sum game. I’m excited about the future of EVs, but I’ll also never sell my 1969 Chevelle SS.

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to rock a 1g with a 6.2 and whipple a forged engine when I move to a no test state.

I've had turbo cars, from a DSM stock to when it had a forged block and 40 psi boost on E85, also a lincoln with the boosted 2.3L and AWD.

The hybrid variant is a step in the right direction.

I'll probably have a chevy volt or a Natural Gas Civic as the main car after I move. When electric trucks and hybrid raptors are on the used market then I'll change. No car payment is a good place to be.