Official power figures: New 3.5 Ecoboost and Powerboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand your question

I'll put it this way, would you prefer a hybrid boat that ran on a combo gas & electric motor but the electric motor was constantly charged by a solar panel on the bimini or a hybrid boat where the electric motor had to be plugged in every day/prior to use or the boat didn't run or didn't function @ full potential? The answer should be easy

I prefer my hybrid "hands free" - something thats there, that helps gas mileage & performance, but doesn't require even an iota of additional thought/concern for me as an owner

Again I'm confused as to why you WOULD want to have to plug in your vehicle every day (especially if its not a full blown EV)
I think it's meant more as in you "can" plug-in for "convenience" but don't necessarily "need" to.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it's meant more as in you "can" plug-in for "convenience" but don't necessarily "need" to.

That is how Ford’s Hybrids (FHEV) and Plug-in Hybrids (PHEV) work today. The PHEV has a larger battery, so that when you charge it externally, it can be driven in full electric mode for as many miles as the charge lasts. Once the charge is depleted, it reverts to operating similarly to the FHEV, except you’re dragging around the extra weight of the larger battery.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that we'll see the 3.5L HO with the more powerful hybrid system for more like 520hp/650lbft and that'll be the only option. Less powerful than the TRX but maintaining a lower price point than the TRX and a big gain over the Gen 2.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is how Ford’s Hybrids (FHEV) and Plug-in Hybrids (PHEV) work today. The PHEV has a larger battery, so that when you charge it externally, it can be driven in full electric mode for as many miles as the charge lasts. Once the charge is depleted, it reverts to operating similarly to the FHEV, except you’re dragging around the extra weight of the larger battery.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. I really don't have a good feel for the sweet spot between power, battery size/weight, and charging ability (whether braking or plug in). And I imagine a part of that is just driver preference and how/where you're driving. For me, with the Raptor being my daily driver, I have a 45 minute commute to work, so I don't think I would need the bigger battery/plug in for that much. However, I only use t for commute every other week (car pool), using it only for short trips around town, so perhaps the bigger battery/plug in would be useful in that case. Again, I'm not claiming to have a good deal for what's the best situation, just didn't see why plug in wasn't desired.

@FordTechOne, to clarify what you said in the last sentence, are you saying that a PHEV will not charge by braking until the battery is depleted form a plug in charge?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne, to clarify what you said in the last sentence, are you saying that a PHEV will not charge by braking until the battery is depleted form a plug in charge?

It will charge using regenerative braking regardless of whether it’s operating in hybrid mode (EV portion of battery discharged) or full EV (electric only) mode.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m thinking more formula 1/ La Ferrari style where the battery is boost of performance with a ICE and KERS for battery charging rather than a Chevy Volt style where they just plug in because they are cheap.

I believe there is a different between a performance hybrid (P1, La Ferrari, etc) and a economy hybrid.

I would never want to plug in my raptor. I would want the ICE and braking to charge the battery.

That would be a game changer over a V8.

adam0311

Reaction score
While disagree that engines suck (nothing better than the soul rending sound of a well tuned n/a v8 or v12)...you make a solid point on the lack of new propulsion tech in the automotive industry. It’s pretty sad that it took the emergence of cell phones to drive battery innovation enough that EVs could become a reality.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While disagree that engines suck (nothing better than the soul rending sound of a well tuned n/a v8 or v12)...you make a solid point on the lack of new propulsion tech in the automotive industry. It’s pretty sad that it took the emergence of cell phones to drive battery innovation enough that EVs could become a reality.

it’s pretty sad that we are putting the cart before the horse w/ EVs essentially “forcing” automakers hand to move in that direction despite the fact they had plenty of room to refine the traditional ICE further along w/ hybrid variants. There’s very little emissions from many standard economy ICE vehicles today. It’s sad that we are jumping on a technology without a ******** CLUE how the grid will support the EV draw, how to make the grid “green” so that the EVs can be touted as green also, or how to charge the ******** things in any reasonable amount of time....or dispose of the hazardous waste generated in the mining, production/refining, & non-closed loop “recycling” phases of the LI ion battery life. Sad.

I’m ride to die on ICE/hybrid vehicles until I can truly believe that when I plug my EV in to charge the energy ain’t coming from coal, burnt trash, or some other polluting electrical source, until i can count on being able to charge my EV anywhere within reason of a 500 mile radius of my home w/o being stranded, until I KNOW the vehicles can be recycled efficiently & in an environmentally sound fashion, or until you Can pry the keys to my gas guzzling muscle car from my cold dead hand lol!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My guess is that we'll see the 3.5L HO with the more powerful hybrid system for more like 520hp/650lbft and that'll be the only option. Less powerful than the TRX but maintaining a lower price point than the TRX and a big gain over the Gen 2.

650TQ is at TRX level. 520HP would be 182HP less however. Raptor even with the PB trans and battery would hopefully still weigh less than a TRX. I’m thinking this could be the magic number to equal the TRX’s V8 in truck performance. Not to mention blow it away in the mileage dept. and offer a 7k generator to boot. No V8 sound, but multi link/coil spring rear, a genny and better performance? Ford may come back with a winner.