New engine being built

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluoval1118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story but the day after I got home from deployment I was driving down one of the main roads in town. Mind you it's monsoon season in AZ. The CAI that Vortech put on my truck was located just behind the splash shield on the drivers side and the plastic splash shield has already been damaged from off road adventures on Fort Huachuca. Well needless to say, water was splashed high enough and with enough quantity that it got sucked into the CAI that the truck turned off. I started it long enough to move it out of the road and to hear parts knocking in the engine. To my surprise all that happened to the engine was a bent rod. A new engine is currently being built and it will be 10X better than the original. Live and learn! I have the engine at a shop up in Tucson being built. No one makes a forged crank for our trucks so I had to have one custom made. I called a few places; Kellogg and Scat but they wanted almost $8K for a custom crank and I thought that was absurd. A few reputable places told me that our trucks came with forged cranks but that is not the case. Everything I read said it was a cast crank and after pulling the engine and getting it to the shop I found out for myself that it is definitely a cast crank. Needless to say I am finally having a billet steel crank made at the moment but it's still a couple months away from being completed. It's also getting forged rods and pistons. The heads are getting port work done and better valves. I know this is over kill for what most of us do with our trucks but it's what this engine needs in order to handle the boost I am going to throw at it. I know the engine in stock trim will out run our suspension in stock trim as well but I will be doing upgrades to the suspension as well as soon as I get her running again. Any input or advice is appreciated. No worries, I have thick skin as well.

Luis

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aha, so you're finally spilling the beans to the board, eh Luis?
Can't wait to see this thing in person on one of your upcoming trips out my way.

OP
OP
Bluoval1118

Bluoval1118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of turbo/supercharger?

I was running a Vortech V3 with an aftercooler but I took it off. It was a great product but the set up was designed wrong. The blower was out of alignment by a fraction of an inch and was causing me to throw belts like crazy. It made the power I wanted it to but wasn't designed properly. The intake was placed down in the fender and led to the demise of my engine. I have talked to a guy in Phoenix that does a lot of turbo kits on other vehicles and he wants to do a kit for the raptor. I also talked to another guy in Austin that does a lot of higher end cars ie; GTRs, Ferraris and Supras that wants to do a kit as well.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Aha, so you're finally spilling the beans to the board, eh Luis?
Can't wait to see this thing in person on one of your upcoming trips out my way.

Yeah, finally decided to spill it. It might give other owners a direction to look should something like my misfortune happen to them.

OP
OP
Bluoval1118

Bluoval1118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see it come together..will be following..So its turbo(s)?

Looks like I will be going the turbo route. It's gonna be down for a while so I will see what other things I can spend my money on. :cough: RPG 4+ :cough: So glad my lady doesn't get on this forum! LOL! Where you at in Texas Keatonskidmore?

keatonskidmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Originally from graham. Right now going to college in Wichita falls but tossing around the idea of transferring to Texas tech.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Bluoval1118

Bluoval1118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally from graham. Right now going to college in Wichita falls but tossing around the idea of transferring to Texas tech.

I'm originally from Odessa and have driven through Wichita Falls a million times.

I might need to go find some puddles to drive through :peace:

Should be a beast when you're done!!

Only advice I can give you forehand is make sure your insurance covers that shit. They paid me for the engine and blower.

keatonskidmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm originally from Odessa and have driven through Wichita Falls a million times.

Only advice I can give you forehand is make sure your insurance covers that shit. They paid me for the engine and blower.

I'll be looking for places to off-road around Lubbock. Hopefully there's some near there