Neutral tow question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McMillan

Reaction score
When I hook to my motor home will it register miles?
If so is there a kit to stop from registering miles on a flat tow?
The supplement doesn't mention this.

OP
OP
McMillan

McMillan

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm considering trailering it, I can buy a trailer with cheap tires for less than the cost of a set of tires, unlike many on here I really like the KO2's

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally I'd rather trailer it. Too nice a rig to be beating up with tow wear. Downside is having to manage the trailer after you unload - but I'd still trailer it. At least you can use the truck to go park the trailer somewhere if you want. As you said, trailer tires are cheap.

As stated above, it's not going to register tow miles. Gone are the days of the physically driven odometer. Even my 2003 TJ doesn't register miles when I'm flat towing it.

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flat towing is so much easier. Really though, how much “wear and tear” happens when flat towing? Yes the rubbers get worn down but there is no force being applied through them to get the truck moving. It’s just rolling resistance.

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume it also uses braking force of truck??

Yes. But if you have a big diesel pusher, you will use your Jake/engine brake most of the time to slow anyways. If you have an inertia driven braking system, you can set the sensitivity. If you have air brake system like Air Force 1, the amount of pressure That gets applied to the towed vehicle is minimal at best and won't engage the brakes.

Over the years, I've come to learn that the braking system in a towed is for a total disconnect and emergency use only. Relying or using the braking system on your towed vehicle to slow or stop a 50k lb vehicle isn't wise. There is enough stopping power in the engine brake and the air brakes to stop the motorhome and the towed safely.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have trailered before, and I prefer flat towing. Some campgrounds are not big enough for a trailer, so you have to disconnect and park it, which is a pain. Trailer tires may be cheap, but they are not rated to go that fast. Also, when you consider the cost of the trailer and depreciation, you can buy new tires for the truck a couple of times. Then you have to store the trailer when you are not using it. The really only good thing about a trailer, is if you are doing some serious off roading and you break something, a trailer is nice to get it back home. But for normal use, flat towing is way easier, and cheaper.