CA registering out of state new vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silvertige

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a DMV "surrogate"?

Are there companies/individuals that do this?

Just Yelp DMV services and you can find one close by your area. 75 dollars maybe for a vin check and get your license plates on the spot. You do need to get smogged and the truck needs to be weighed before you head over there. Make sure you have proper docs that the dealer should have provided, just saves time.

fkim119

Reaction score
Anyone have any gouge on purchasing a NEW Raptor out of state and then registering it the state of Kalifornia?

I know there are some restrictions for registering a nearly-new, already registered out of state vehicle.

I want to make sure they won’t give me a hard time at the DMV when I purchase a Raptor from Nebraska and drive it home.

I previously fought with the CA DMV for three months when I had an idiot DMV employee erroneously mark a used car as “gray market” and then proceeded to tell me it couldn’t be registered. It was a MAJOR pain to get that fixed.

I’m picking up a new truck in Nebraska as well and live in SoCal, what dealer?!

Nice! My trucks through Baxter Ford, 801A already built, just awaiting release, hoping to hear any day now that its shipping.
I am going to be doing the same drive from NE to here. Would love some recommendations on what routes you took home and what you routes you should avoid on the return trip!

Pismobound

Reaction score
Like others have said before, the big thing is you will have to pay California sales tax from your county that is in excess of the tax you paid in the state where you bought it. Raporzz broke it down perfectly earlier in this thread.

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Join AAA in California, you don't have to get their insurance, just get a membership, pretty inexpensive. Then register at an AAA Office. They'll even give you your new plates right there.

OP
OP
p0verty

p0verty

Reaction score
Join AAA in California, you don't have to get their insurance, just get a membership, pretty inexpensive. Then register at an AAA Office. They'll even give you your new plates right there.
Thanks. I’m already a AAA member and I was planning on stopping by there before I get the truck to make sure they could process the new-vehicle registration.

Sounds like this is the way.

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like others have said before, the big thing is you will have to pay California sales tax from your county that is in excess of the tax you paid in the state where you bought it. Raporzz broke it down perfectly earlier in this thread.

I paid no sales tax in MO. I only had to show I was a resident of CA

Now CA on the other hand kicked my ass :favorites68:

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
I am going to be doing the same drive from NE to here. Would love some recommendations on what routes you took home and what you routes you should avoid on the return trip!
Nice! Did you end up working with Chip at Baxter? Super nice guy! Will definitely let you know. Im driving up to MN to grab a toy hauler then back down, shouldn't change my route much. Need to stop in Moab for a day or two of R&R.
Unfortunately fully ready to hand AAA about $9k once I get home. So sad.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a DMV "surrogate"?

Are there companies/individuals that do this?
Check with the dealer you are purchasing from. I’m told that many dealerships just use this service now for themselves or their staff knows how to do it. In my case the staff member that was full time knew how to do the CA registration.

OP
OP
p0verty

p0verty

Reaction score
Check with the dealer you are purchasing from. I’m told that many dealerships just use this service now for themselves or their staff knows how to do it. In my case the staff member that was full time knew how to do the CA registration.
That’s a great idea.
I’ll have the salesman check for me.

Unfortunately it might be a while before I see my truck with the way Ford has been delaying 2024 deliveries.