GEN 1 Need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with that, but I'd clarify that we are talking about discharge temps while under boost only.

During the 99% of time you are NOT in boost, the twin screw runs hotter. He tries to poo-poo that early on in the wall of text, but the roots style blowers have the same high flow bypass, plus they do not compress the air being bypassed like the twin screw does.

I have a Whipple twin screw blower on my Cobra so I have nothing against Whipple or twin screw compressors, but the roots style blowers do have some advantages in some situations, just like the twin screw do in some situations. Again, there's a good reason Ford (or any OEM that I know of) typically only use roots style superchargers on OEM vehicles. I know Ford ran a twin screw on the first Gen GTs with the S/C 5.4L, but other than that, I've only seen roots blowers on production vehicles.
And the best way to make more power on production roots vehicles..... is to swap it out for a whipple

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's only your opinion, while it's a big debate on the web.
I'll stick to my opinion.

Cheers

It's not opinion, it's facts based in physics. If there is a debate, it's because they are uneducated on how the two types of superchargers operate in boost and in non-boosted conditions.

I'm guessing those same people do not understand what pressure ratio means for these compressors and how it affects efficiency or why you'd want one vs another.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And the best way to make more power on production roots vehicles..... is to swap it out for a whipple

Why is that? Because people pull off a 1.8L Eaton roots blower and put on a 2.3L twin screw. Just like I did on my Cobra.

Guess how else you can make more power? Take off a 2.3L Whipple screw blower and put on a 2.9L TVS roots blower.

Again, I OWN a Whipple twin screw. I'm not against them at all or some cheerleader for roots blowers.

I'm simply trying to help educate someone about positive dispalcement superchargers before they drop $8K on one. While you guys OTOH are simply regurgitating a bunch of Whipple advertising BS and stating opinions like they are facts.

Last edited:

Anthony k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skip the throttle body. Not worth the headache. Stock isn’t really a restriction.

Canned tunes absolutely blow.
Don’t waste your money.

dyno tune is the only way to go. Email tuning is a best guess scenario.
I have a 2011, that’s been whippled since it was new. Had a 3.25 pulley on it with the whipple tune. it sucked.
Livernois Motorsports dyno tuned it with a stock size 3.50 pulley. 10x better all around. Made 527rwhp on 87 octane....with a whipple blower from 2011. Not the newest and greatest version.

Eaton blowers are on factory vehicles because they are cheap and meet noise standards etc. not because they are the best.
Awesome upgrade for a 03/04 cobra???
Swapping on a whipple.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome upgrade for a 03/04 cobra???
Swapping on a whipple.

Yeah I know, I got one.

What's a better upgrade than that on a Cobra? A 2.3L TVS which is, wait for it- a roots blower.

They both have advantages, you guys acting like a TS is vastly superior and way more expensive compared to a roots blower are simply wrong. They are 95% the same- case, rotors, bearings- there's really no reason one is notably more or less expensive than the other.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who do you think makes Roush's TVS2300?

The TVS is Eaton's latest roots style supercharger. The TVS2650 is used on the 2020 GT500. Surely they picked it soley because it's cheaper than a twin screw. It's clutched BTW!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read somewhere about Eaton offering a clutch system option for applications using Turbos+SC.
I just have heard anything about it being standard.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure the new GT500 has the clutched blower. I saw it on a cutaway of the GT500 engine, and it's shown on Eaton's site when you look up the model number they used on the GT500.

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/products/engine-solutions/superchargers/tvs-overview.html They talk about it's use in compound setups, but the GT500 is obviously all supercharger.

That clutched drive is awesome. No amount of bypass valves will make a supercharger as efficient as one that is 100% disengaged with a clutch. Imagine how much cooler it'll stay not spinning those rotors like mad for no reason. It's really the holy grail of power IMO. Instant, maximum boost across the entire RPM range, yet it can be de-coupled from the accessory drive and consume no power and generate no heat while it's not in boost. What's not to like other than the added weight and any potential maintenance of the blower itself.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure the new GT500 has the clutched blower. I saw it on a cutaway of the GT500 engine, and it's shown on Eaton's site when you look up the model number they used on the GT500.

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/products/engine-solutions/superchargers/tvs-overview.html They talk about it's use in compound setups, but the GT500 is obviously all supercharger.

That clutched drive is awesome. No amount of bypass valves will make a supercharger as efficient as one that is 100% disengaged with a clutch. Imagine how much cooler it'll stay not spinning those rotors like mad for no reason. It's really the holy grail of power IMO. Instant, maximum boost across the entire RPM range, yet it can be de-coupled from the accessory drive and consume no power and generate no heat while it's not in boost. What's not to like other than the added weight and any potential maintenance of the blower itself.
That's pretty slick. I've been wondering when a setup like that would come out. My only real concern (maintenance, as you said) would be the longevity of the clutch and the difficulty of replacement. I would imagine that as soon as that clutch starts slipping, your vehicle is going to run very poorly.