GEN 1 Need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The cut away is on Eaton's website.
I did a quick search on Mustangs 2018 to 2020 they don't show that long ass snout holding the cultch system.
Eaton even stated the problem is rewriting the software for the PCM to even operate it.

It's magnetically controlled using 12 volts so there will be relays involved too.
It's a great idea.

The other two SC that use Eatons TVS 2650 are adding a bypass valve from what I read.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm talking about an engine that Ford prepared for the autoshows. It was the 2020 GT500 engine on a stand with cutaway components.

I'd bet a dollar I saw the clutch on the cutaway blower and it was clearly labeled as such. I remember thinking, "How come nobody has mentioned THAT in any reviews?" Wait, I know, it's because most people doing the reviews don't know jack shit about the actual mechanics of how things work and don't even realize what a massive benefit the clutched drive offers.

I wouldn't worry about the clutch itself, it's pretty much how all the transverse engine AWD systems work. They clutch the rear diff pinion gear to put power to the rear wheels. They can easily hold 100+ HP. I'm saying maintenance of the blower as in the bearings and seals. They go out eventually, but it's only a few hundred to get them rebuilt typically. Then again, if you could de-clutch the blower and not spin it all the time, the bearings and seals would last a lot longer too.

If I can find that pic or vid, I'll link it...

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm talking about an engine that Ford prepared for the autoshows. It was the 2020 GT500 engine on a stand with cutaway components.

I'd bet a dollar I saw the clutch on the cutaway blower and it was clearly labeled as such. I remember thinking, "How come nobody has mentioned THAT in any reviews?" Wait, I know, it's because most people doing the reviews don't know jack shit about the actual mechanics of how things work and don't even realize what a massive benefit the clutched drive offers.

I wouldn't worry about the clutch itself, it's pretty much how all the transverse engine AWD systems work. They clutch the rear diff pinion gear to put power to the rear wheels. They can easily hold 100+ HP. I'm saying maintenance of the blower as in the bearings and seals. They go out eventually, but it's only a few hundred to get them rebuilt typically. Then again, if you could de-clutch the blower and not spin it all the time, the bearings and seals would last a lot longer too.

If I can find that pic or vid, I'll link it...
takemymoney.jpg

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This isn't what I saw, but it calls it out as a "one way clutch"... Seems like a sprag in that case?

GT500-Engine-Infographic-1.jpg

If it's a sprag style, that would allow the blower to continue to freewheel when the engine RPMs are lowered quickly- which would keep the inertia of the blower from twisting the hell out of the crank snout.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That looks like the bypass valve added on like VMP and Magnuson are doing.
I do see something on the front of the SC pulley, it looks like that my be something like how the AC clutch works.
Hard to find info on this new 2020 GT500

BTW, All SC have a one way gearing system.
You don't hear it still spinning when you shut it off?

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Random question/thread hijack since there are a couple knowledgeable people here. This is more of a question for fun than anything else. If I opted to switch from a Roush to a Whipple, how much is involved? Obviously the blower itself, different belt, tune, etc. What other bits and pieces (that probably add up to a lot) would be involved? Can't see myself doing it, but who knows.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BTW, All SC have a one way gearing system.
You don't hear it still spinning when you shut it off?

No- all the Eaton, Whipple and Kenne Bell roots/twins screw blowers I've ever seen have no clutch or one-way gearing whatsoever. I have only seen clutched blowers on a few Mercedes years back.

When you shut it down, the blower is not still spinning. If the pulley is not turning, the blower is not turning.

I'd bet they ran this sprag style 1 way clutch to protect the crank snout. Imagine it's run up to redline, then you bang an 80 ms shift with that fancy trans- the blower is still at redline RPMs and the crank/belt has to slow down those rotors to the now-lower engine RPMs. Guys who ran the big 3.4L blowers on the 03/04 Cobra were breaking off the crank snout due to the massive shock load to the crank from fast RPM changes during shifts.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No- all the Eaton, Whipple and Kenne Bell roots/twins screw blowers I've ever seen have no clutch or one-way gearing whatsoever. I have only seen clutched blowers on a few Mercedes years back.

When you shut it down, the blower is not still spinning. If the pulley is not turning, the blower is not turning.

I'd bet they ran this sprag style 1 way clutch to protect the crank snout. Imagine it's run up to redline, then you bang an 80 ms shift with that fancy trans- the blower is still at redline RPMs and the crank/belt has to slow down those rotors to the now-lower engine RPMs. Guys who ran the big 3.4L blowers on the 03/04 Cobra were breaking off the crank snout due to the massive shock load to the crank from fast RPM changes during shifts.

Really!!!

I'm sorry but you don't much about superchargers my friend.

And the snots were breaking because they were too long.