GEN 2 Need some good rubber for new Vorsteiner wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Been doing tire research lately also. I've got 37k miles on my truck and its winter here. So they aren't shot but probably will replace them now rather than run them through winter.

I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to the Ridge Grapplers. Unlike most people here I was pretty happy with the factory BFG's. I live in the NE and the tire worked well in both rain and snow. I don't really do any off road stuff so off road traction isn't important either.

My concern with another set of the BFG's is all of the problems people are having getting those tires balanced properly.

The reviews on the RG's are extremely good.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference is between the LT315/70-R17 and the 35/12.50-17? I realize the 35 is .35" larger diameter, .2" skinnier and roughly 4 1/2 #'s heavier.

Also the 35" tire was measured on a 10" wide rim versus the 315 being measured on a 9.5" wide wheel. Any idea how the 35" measurements would change on the 9.5" wheel?

I like the fact the 35' tire comes with 2/32nd more thread depth also. I'm assuming that's the additional height and weight difference??

I'm looking at doing the 35" tire for the additional tread depth and additional height.

The tires seems so similar in specs that it makes me wonder why they build both. I'm thinking maybe I'm missing something in the comparison?

You pretty much nailed it. The weight is a little bit heavier due to the added rubber of the tread depth. You'll most likely get more mileage out of the 35 over the 315. But if weight is of the most concern, go with the 315.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You pretty much nailed it. The weight is a little bit heavier due to the added rubber of the tread depth. You'll most likely get more mileage out of the 35 over the 315. But if weight is of the most concern, go with the 315.

Great. Thanks for the confirmation.

I think the trade off for the additional tread depth and possible longer tire life versus some weight saving would be worth it.

OP
OP
BlazinPond

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post some pics once you get this all done and mounted! I really like the look of this setup!

Sounds good!

Ya, I am pumped because I got the Patina Bronze (aka Triple Bronze) vs. the stock bronze offering Venomrex 601. I prefer the slightly darker shade vs. the Highlander Bronze.

I plan to make my decision in next 24-hours for tires. Still struggling...

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think either way you are in a win/win. People go crazy splitting hairs - I do the same. Pull the trigger and you be the judge!!

I have duratracs on the wife's 4runner, I really like them. Looks good and great in rain and snow. My brother in law has the ridge grapplers - he is a nitto guy and swears by them. The local tire shop does too so I may look that way when it is time.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running Firestone MT2 on 35x12.5xR17 and spare as well. These tires just clear the potential rub points at the front bumper and mudshield by 1/2". I have put the spare back under the bed yet. I had a TPMS installed in the spare for 5 tire rotation. At least we got a matching spare rim for $75k...

The Firestone MT2 Mud Tires are excellent Mud, Rock, Dirt, and Street Tires. Very sticky and long tread wear. 21/32's inch starting tread depth. Aggressive look good. I had these on a 1998 S10 ZR2 4x4 (31x10.5xR15) and they lasted longer than the truck! Truck had 160,000 miles - 80k on the MT's with about 4/32's" left. They ride as smooth and quiet as the stock BFG's and are 1" ltaller, and maybe 1/2" wider. Been runninh them for a month with no issues except the aggressive tread will drop your MPG by about 1 MPG City driving. Highway seems about the same. Any aggressive tread sticky tire will drop your MPG.

You cannot fit a 37" tall tire without at least 2" front lift. If you can find a 35" tall 13.5" wide 17" tire it will probobly fit using stock rims, just barely (35x13.5xR17) if you can find it. 4WD Parts has only one brand in that size Maxxis Razr MT. I didn't find these until after I bought the Firestones. Might the perfect size for stock rims with no lift. See tire on link.

Screenshot_20190110-152309_Chrome.jpg

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a great deal on a set of toyo rt 35 12.5 17, installing in a few days

OP
OP
BlazinPond

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a great deal on a set of toyo rt 35 12.5 17, installing in a few days

Awesome.....

Best I have found for the 20" Toyo RT is $1475 shipped on Tire Crawler (F-rated tires).
They are in my top three choices still...haven't ruled them out yet.

They are heavy tires, but would be great for towing the race trailer.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been driving around on those toyos for a few days now, its like gliding on aladdins carpet in comparison to bfg lol! great look too