Winter wheel/tire combo thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm open to all options, but not sure about going to a studded tire.
What is the best size option in your opinion?

Almost seems I should just stick with 17" size wheels for winters and add stock size Nokians.

I was updating my post as you posted. Check my last post again. Two solid options on there.

OP
OP
BlazinPond

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was updating my post as you posted. Check my last post again. Two solid options on there.

Thx again.

In another thread, you highlighted the below set and pic. Even though not a dedicated winter, I've read great reviews by some here.

Thoughts on the Duratracs in stock size like below?

IMG_3605.jpg

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thx again.

In another thread, you highlighted the below set and pic. Even though not a dedicated winter, I've read great reviews by some here.

Thoughts on the Duratracs in stock size like below?

View attachment 116601

If you don't want a dedicated winter but a 3 peak rated tire there are a lot of options. Duratrac being one of them. I favor the Falken AT3W over the Duratrac for ice and hard pack though. It's what I run on my truck and we go up to Tahoe all the time. It has more siping and the sipes are full tread depth deep. The Duratrac is better in the deep stuff though. However there are lots of 3 Peak rated tires.
Nitto Exo Grappler
Hankook ATM
General Grabber ATX
Pirelli AT
Toyo CT
Kumho AT51

However this note is on every 3 peak tire

"Note: While non-winter tires featuring the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol provide additional longitudinal snow traction beyond what all-season (M+S) tires not bearing the symbol can deliver, they do not match the capability of a true winter tire in all adverse weather conditions."

Helopilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm open to all options, but not sure about going to a studded tire.
What is the best size option in your opinion?

Almost seems I should just stick with 17" size wheels for winters and add stock size Nokians.

“According to Minnesota State Statute 169.72, Every solid rubber tire on a vehicle must have rubber on its entire traction surface at least one inch thick above the edge of the flange of the entire periphery. No person shall operate or move on any highway any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer, having any metal tire in contact with the roadway, except in case of emergency.”

I’d pass on the studded tire option. Our trucks don’t “blend in” with other traffic, I think it would only be a matter of time before you had a run-in with one or more of our state troopers.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you don't want a dedicated winter but a 3 peak rated tire there are a lot of options. Duratrac being one of them. I favor the Falken AT3W over the Duratrac for ice and hard pack though. It's what I run on my truck and we go up to Tahoe all the time. It has more siping and the sipes are full tread depth deep. The Duratrac is better in the deep stuff though. However there are lots of 3 Peak rated tires.
Nitto Exo Grappler
Hankook ATM
General Grabber ATX
Pirelli AT
Toyo CT
Kumho AT51

However this note is on every 3 peak tire

"Note: While non-winter tires featuring the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol provide additional longitudinal snow traction beyond what all-season (M+S) tires not bearing the symbol can deliver, they do not match the capability of a true winter tire in all adverse weather conditions."

Factory KO2s are also rated with the 3 peak snowflake.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not put the snow tires on your stock wheels and your Summer/3-season tires on the 20” rims? I prefer a lot more sidewall in snow and ice...and hidden potholes.

For the tires you list, Nokkian all the way.

That’s the route I took/am taking. Bought the Vorsteiner 601s when they were on sale last month, waiting for my stock tires to wear a bit more before replacing them though.

Will put on the 20” rubber this spring regardless.

OP
OP
BlazinPond

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not put the snow tires on your stock wheels and your Summer/3-season tires on the 20” rims? I prefer a lot more sidewall in snow and ice...and hidden potholes.

That’s the route I took/am taking. Bought the Vorsteiner 601s when they were on sale last month, waiting for my stock tires to wear a bit more before replacing them though.

Will put on the 20” rubber this spring regardless.

I think you’re right on. Exactly what I have decided to do. Thanks!