My gen3 vs trx comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorND

Reaction score
We have owned a Lexus GX470 for about 5 years. We have really enjoyed its capability and style for the price. It has been super reliable and has almost 180k miles on it. Before my Raptor I had a V8 4Runner. I love the Toyota 4.6 in a mid-size vehicle like the T4R and GX470.

My DD is my 19 Raptor. I also really like it. Wouldn't want any other truck, except maybe a TRX or a Raptor R, because I really do spend most of my time on-road and I really like going 0-60.

We also have an old Jeep LJ that we really like. We take the top off it permanently in the summer and our son loves riding to Starbucks in it. Yes, literally. Starbucks.

I am now prepared to listen to why I am an idiot, *****-waste, and generally a terrible person for these experiences. You may all proceed.

Im in the market for a truck and a full size suv. Ordered a gen 3 and put a deposit down for a sequoia trd pro. Second choices were a trx then an upcoming gm truck. For the suv considered a Yukon/Tahoe which are still in the running but liking the Toyota but still need to see in person

perry

Reaction score
Gen 1’s we’re rated 11/14 stock from the factory, and that was on the older EPA cycle that was more lenient. The PCM fuel economy algorithm is not able to compensate for the supercharger/mods; you would need to calculate it by hand to get a realistic reading.
I checked it a couple times in the few months before and years post whipple. It always seems to be pretty close, within tenths of a mile kind of close. I’d assumed the bigger injectors were unaccounted for in the math and and figured if I were towing long distances or spent longer times under WOT the computer and real world would diverge but I never investigated that. Wondering if the tune programming interacts any with the fuel economy? No idea if the two are linked or it’s simply not that sophisticate. Regardless, what the dash says is pretty darned close unlike the ridiculous fuel tank level that runs some sort of average over time and is terribly susceptible to inclination.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im in the market for a truck and a full size suv. Ordered a gen 3 and put a deposit down for a sequoia trd pro. Second choices were a trx then an upcoming gm truck. For the suv considered a Yukon/Tahoe which are still in the running but liking the Toyota but still need to see in person
The new new GM trucks are interesting, their prior gens were junk Mexican built stop-gap BS (I had 3 of em I should know lol), one thing I am curious about w/ the new Toyota trucks/SUVs….do they still offer the full power sliding rear window? The one that drops down like a regular door window, that’s always been one of my fav Toyota quirks

RaptorND

Reaction score
The new new GM trucks are interesting, their prior gens were junk Mexican built stop-gap BS (I had 3 of em I should know lol), one thing I am curious about w/ the new Toyota trucks/SUVs….do they still offer the full power sliding rear window? The one that drops down like a regular door window, that’s always been one of my fav Toyota quirks

No more sliding window

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think if you gave the TRX a fair shake, you may feel differently. You may still prefer the Raptor, but there's a lot to the TRX.
Yeah but…..doesn’t change that it’s a Raptor wannabe.

Personally my takeaway w/ it was such (& last time I was truck shopping it was essentially w/ no limit had a $70k ins check after my 2018 Rappy was totaled) - like the hellcat whine, the interior is great/comfy nice materials- the amount of electronics & electric motors powering the power everything (as I type this my buddy has his 2019 Ram @ dealer getting a 1 of 2 sunroof motors replaced under warranty) made me a lil nervous. It is immediately noticeably heavier & feels a good bit bigger even though it really isn’t. I felt the ride was not as comfy as the Raptor over rough pavement, & I imagine that’s only exacerbated now w/ the gen3. It basically felt like a square peg constantly trying to fit itself into a round hole.

In summary my biggest takeaway was “I’d like a hellcatified something, but this sure as sh*t ain’t it, give me another Raptor” - if I was gonna get a dodge w/ this drivetrain give me a challenger hellcat widebody w/ a stick shift. If it has to have a back seat & an auto give me a Charger widebody hellcat, & if I need 4wd give me a Trackhawk (even tho I’ve heard the Durango version is fastest of all) - the Durango & TRX are silliness. TRX isn’t a true offroad truck cuz it’s too heavy, doesn’t have real 4wd, & the shocks aren’t up to task. It’ll also never go around a track like a Trackhawk or Explorer ST or X5M….or even a Raptor for that matter I’m guessing. Its….a square peg shoved in a round hole for guys who don’t know what they wanna be when they grow up.

If I had unlimited funds- sure, sign me up.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm hoping there's a good reason Ford doesn't do the full drop-down rear glass like the Tundra and 4Runner. Once you've become accustomed to that feature, it boggles your mind how a manufacturer could choose a different design. Maybe it's prone to breaking the glass on tough offroad terrain if the glass is dropped? I hope it's not just "it would cost more" because I would pay for that option.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping there's a good reason Ford doesn't do the full drop-down rear glass like the Tundra and 4Runner. Once you've become accustomed to that feature, it boggles your mind how a manufacturer could choose a different design. Maybe it's prone to breaking the glass on tough offroad terrain if the glass is dropped? I hope it's not just "it would cost more" because I would pay for that option.
I have no data on the quality or durability of that feature, but I have seen that the ne Tundra and Sequoia do not offer it. Toyota is about pilfering sales from the volume leaders, not offering new or innovative features. Hence why both still have no 4WD auto option and offer less capability than the competition, especially in interior space. They can put in a half assed effort and still get enough sales from those who are ignorant/misinformed enough to buy their inferior products to justify their existence. That is their business model.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Excellent writeup. But I'm mad at you and your brother for paying 10k over sticker. That's what enables the stealers to charge that.

OP
OP
T

Teghogh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent writeup. But I'm mad at you and your brother for paying 10k over sticker. That's what enables the stealers to charge that.
I would agree with you generally. I have never personally paid above msrp and don’t settle for deals just because I gotta have one. I have gotten 30k off Audi s6 and 40k off new f type Rs and 10k off trx just as an example. Howerer the raptor market has always been msrp or above even in normal times ( yes you could get 10 percent off back in 2019 from out of state but never here. With that said, the 10k mark up is somewhat more reasonable given the times we live in. For one, you are instantly 5k better that what carmax would offer to buy and would somewhat be on par with gen2 used prices. 2020 fully loaded gen 2 is going to run around 75k Or so below 15k miles, I don’t think it is reasonable to think the 21 gen3 should sell for 79k in the same market. It is just a crazyness we live in that has spread to every corner of the economy lately. Just look at the housing market over the past 2 years. When I was in the market to buy a house last year I was beyond frustrated to see sharp rise in prices and constant overbidding as I kept comparing the current market to Precovid. Why would i pay 300k for a house that was only 800k 2 years ago. Who are these idiots that are paying these prices. So I decided to suck it up and get the best deal I could get relative to the market and now looking back a year I have another 25 percent equity in a deal that I would consider bad 3 years ago.
Kia vans are going for 7k over sticker. Honda CR-V are about 5k over. I can’t believe I’m saying this but even at 10k over a raptor that has always been a msrp and over truck does-not look too terrible at 10k above off the lot granted you are not planning on holding on to it for long. But when it comes to order and the 6-12 months expected wait, I wouldn’t settle for anything but msrp. I supposedly have an order with no vin and have no expectation of getting it this year. I would be willing to pay 5k over right now to drive it as the agony of the wait grows on you as it did on the trx order .

Last edited: