My gen3 vs trx comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t know, personal opinion at the end of the day I suppose but not sure what you’re trying to say lol. I just know Ford qualtiy has diminished. However, I have 3 friends with tundras and 2 with raptors. The 2 raptors have been in the shop more than a dozen times. Tundras none. I guess it’s not bad if you have warranty and they give you a loaner but loaners seem to be far and few between nowadays. That and your truck sits in the elements for a week or 2 until they can even “look” at it. I like all trucks and would be happy with any of them modded to my taste truth be told.
I was saying Ford and dodge have been down the hill. Seems like tundras get alot of hate in the ford world, but bet your @ss they rarely break. Ever. At least in my experience. Tech in it sucks though. Switching to a raptor, I figured I was sacrificing some reliability for features and tech. My opinion? Ford owners have just come to expect problems, and just deal with them. Very curious how my ownership will go honestly

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was saying Ford and dodge have been down the hill. Seems like tundras get alot of hate in the ford world, but bet your @ss they rarely break. Ever. At least in my experience. Tech in it sucks though. Switching to a raptor, I figured I was sacrificing some reliability for features and tech. My opinion? Ford owners have just come to expect problems, and just deal with them. Very curious how my ownership will go honestly
Based on what data? I’ve owned multiple Ford products and I don’t “expect problems”, nor have I had any outside of the expected recalls/software updates. You’re drawing widespread conclusions based on anecdotal evidence from forums that represent tens of thousandths of 1% of F-150s on the road.

As far as Tundras, they certainly do break lol, you can’t be that naive. The notion that ANY vehicle simply “doesn’t ever break” is ridiculous, go to any Toyota dealer and the shop is full of broken vehicles. Same as any other brand. I have plenty of experience to it’s Tacos and Tundras and what you’re claiming simply doesn’t align with reality. Cam tower oil leaks, starters, AIR injection pumps, steering rack leaks, the list goes on.

Since you’re never owned a Ford or Ram and have preconceived notions, visit the tundra forums and check out all the “never broken no problems” trucks, that way you can you can make an objective comparison.

Attachments

• EC944073-6DEB-40A3-89E9-6468241464A9.png
    EC944073-6DEB-40A3-89E9-6468241464A9.png
    331.1 KB · Views: 25

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don’t know, personal opinion at the end of the day I suppose

I just know Ford qualtiy has diminished.

So it’s your “opinion”, but you make a statement as if it’s a fact? You have no data to support what you’re claiming. In fact, JD Power just came out today and shows the opposite of what you’re claiming to be true.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m at 112,000 on the OD. And the only issue is the chatter on the cams. I’m out of warranty so I am going to let is chatter on startup as it doesn’t seem to cause any harm. So I just do regular maintenance and I’m not even completely up to date. For example, I need(well want) to change my plugs but I keep forgetting to buy the deepweld spark plug socket. Heck the stock brakes made it to 90k. So it’s been a good truck. The company I sold last year, I had a fleet, and I chose F150 and we did okay. Put some serious miles on it and you will have a different opinion.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m at 112,000 on the OD. And the only issue is the chatter on the cams. I’m out of warranty so I am going to let is chatter on startup as it doesn’t seem to cause any harm. So I just do regular maintenance and I’m not even completely up to date. For example, I need(well want) to change my plugs but I keep forgetting to buy the deepweld spark plug socket. Heck the stock brakes made it to 90k. So it’s been a good truck. The company I sold last year, I had a fleet, and I chose F150 and we did okay. Put some serious miles on it and you will have a different opinion.
You give me hope! My work also fleets fords. You should see how many diesel transits break down. It’s nuts.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what data? I’ve owned multiple Ford products and I don’t “expect problems”, nor have I had any outside of the expected recalls/software updates. You’re drawing widespread conclusions based on anecdotal evidence from forums that represent tens of thousandths of 1% of F-150s on the road.

As far as Tundras, they certainly do break lol, you can’t be that naive. The notion that ANY vehicle simply “doesn’t ever break” is ridiculous, go to any Toyota dealer and the shop is full of broken vehicles. Same as any other brand. I have plenty of experience to it’s Tacos and Tundras and what you’re claiming simply doesn’t align with reality. Cam tower oil leaks, starters, AIR injection pumps, steering rack leaks, the list goes on.

Since you’re never owned a Ford or Ram and have preconceived notions, visit the tundra forums and check out all the “never broken no problems” trucks, that way you can you can make an objective comparison.
I should’ve been more clear. I meant the Toyotas I’ve owned. You know how much crap I’m getting for buying a ford from everyone I know who doesn’t own one? Why you think that is? Serious question. You work on them, so your opinion means a hell of a lot more than some GM, dodge and Toy owners

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I should’ve been more clear. I meant the Toyotas I’ve owned. You know how much crap I’m getting for buying a ford from everyone I know who doesn’t own one? Why you think that is? Serious question. You work on them, so your opinion means a hell of a lot more than some GM, dodge and Toy owners
Understood. To the same point, I have had a similar experience with the products I've had, but that certainly doesn't insinuate that said products are all going to be problem free, as that is statistically impossible. Thinking more intrinsically about it, I suppose anyone would be hesitant to change from a brand/product that they'd had a good experience with to another that they're unfamiliar with, especially if that's all one has known. Working in the auto industry, especially automotive repair, exposes you to all brands/products, good or bad, so it's certainly much easier to be confident in a decision. For example, someone might read that people are having an issue with Sync 4, and they celebrate the fact that their Toyota has a cassette player and will never experience said problem. You're dealing with feedback from people who couldn't fix a sandwich, yet in the next minute they're an expert in the automotive industry and engineering. Ford is #1 in every commercial industry, followed by GM and RAM. Those fleets demand maximum uptime, lowest cost of service, and the highest capability and reliability. They look at numbers, not brand loyalty. You're best to base your decision on the data, facts, capability, engineering, and product qualities, not what some fanboy is trying to whisper in your ear.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood. To the same point, I have had a similar experience with the products I've had, but that certainly doesn't insinuate that said products are all going to be problem free, as that is statistically impossible. Thinking more intrinsically about it, I suppose anyone would be hesitant to change from a brand/product that they'd had a good experience with to another that they're unfamiliar with, especially if that's all one has known. Working in the auto industry, especially automotive repair, exposes you to all brands/products, good or bad, so it's certainly much easier to be confident in a decision. For example, someone might read that people are having an issue with Sync 4, and they celebrate the fact that their Toyota has a cassette player and will never experience said problem. You're dealing with feedback from people who couldn't fix a sandwich, yet in the next minute they're an expert in the automotive industry and engineering. Ford is #1 in every commercial industry, followed by GM and RAM. Those fleets demand maximum uptime, lowest cost of service, and the highest capability and reliability. They look at numbers, not brand loyalty. You're best to base your decision on the data, facts, capability, engineering, and product qualities, not what some fanboy is trying to whisper in your ear.
Very well said sir. I stopped being so partial to car brands. You know how it is. Dudes are hard headed when it comes to their car brand it’s kind of comical. Having said all that I respect your expertise, and take what say seriously. Here’s to many many trouble free Raptor miles. I’m freakin stoked for tomorrow and delivery.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very well said sir. I stopped being so partial to car brands. You know how it is. Dudes are hard headed when it comes to their car brand it’s kind of comical. Having said all that I respect your expertise, and take what say seriously. Here’s to many many trouble free Raptor miles. I’m freakin stoked for tomorrow and delivery.
Awesome, looking forward to seeing the pics of your Gen 3!

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have owned a Lexus GX470 for about 5 years. We have really enjoyed its capability and style for the price. It has been super reliable and has almost 180k miles on it. Before my Raptor I had a V8 4Runner. I love the Toyota 4.6 in a mid-size vehicle like the T4R and GX470.

My DD is my 19 Raptor. I also really like it. Wouldn't want any other truck, except maybe a TRX or a Raptor R, because I really do spend most of my time on-road and I really like going 0-60.

We also have an old Jeep LJ that we really like. We take the top off it permanently in the summer and our son loves riding to Starbucks in it. Yes, literally. Starbucks.

I am now prepared to listen to why I am an idiot, *****-waste, and generally a terrible person for these experiences. You may all proceed.