My gen3 vs trx comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruin1md

Reaction score
Thanks. The value proposition is where the raptor kind of falls on its face. I don’t care how bad of a gas mileage you are getting there is no way to justify the 25k price difference with having 250 less horsepower. But the market is what it is and as long as it holds it doesn’t matter much. I have been offered 90k for trx by carmax I don’t think they would offer more than rhat on the raptor. So certainly in the eyes of the market they are priced closely. With that said if I’m given a choice of a base raptor at 67 and base trx at 77 with 10k off and I’m choosing one for daily drive for couple years it will be the base raptor.
As I said previously there is absolutel no reason for any of these trucks to compete with Porsche, Audi s , bmw M, and Benz amg in terms of price. Neither Ford or ram dealer provide a rental car for a 90k car, neither both have the feel fit and finish of the German cars. 991.2 base 911s had a 89k starting price.
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here regarding your analogy/comp. I've owned 2 Porsches (997.2 GTS, 987 Cayman S), 2 BMW's (one being a M car) and an Audi S5.
None of those cars you're referring to are engineered trucks that can be beaten up off road and can also literally jump curbs and sand dunes.....and also rock crawl.
It took serious engineering by Ford's racing team to come with the Raptor. I can't speak for the TRX.
I think trucks as a whole are getting to be insanely overpriced, but that's a reflection of that entire market, which in turn is driven by an ever growing demand for trucks coupled with massive improvements in performance and ride quality.
The best analogy if you want to state the case that the TRX and Raptor are overpriced would be to compare them to a Mercedes G wagon...... which is the only comparable luxury vehicle made by any of the Germans that can do what these trucks can do off road.
Talk about overpriced. I would take a Raptor all day long over that douchemobile.

I've driven a GLE AMG 53 and you want to talk about problems with a vehicle that comes out to nearly $90K, and with a horrible depreciation curve? Yes, the fit and finish seem amazing brand new.......but then watch how fast that thing shows its true colors once the warranty wears off.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol-- you and me both. Getting out my bullet proof uber reliable 4runner TRD Pro to get into a Raptor, hoping/praying for comparable reliability.
Just gonna maintain the crap out of it. Not too worried. I see how the fleet of fords at work are taken care of and they last pretty damn good considering the abuse we put on them

bruin1md

Reaction score
Im in the market for a truck and a full size suv. Ordered a gen 3 and put a deposit down for a sequoia trd pro. Second choices were a trx then an upcoming gm truck. For the suv considered a Yukon/Tahoe which are still in the running but liking the Toyota but still need to see in person
The new Sequoia TRD pro with the Tundra engine looks amazing. My only concern is that this is Toyota's first year with the new turbo 6, and I'm hearing of some issues on the new Tundras. Once they work these out, I think it will be hard to beat the Sequoia as a family SUV that can be taken off road (TRD pro)

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here regarding your analogy/comp. I've owned 2 Porsches (997.2 GTS, 987 Cayman S), 2 BMW's (one being a M car) and an Audi S5.
None of those cars you're referring to are engineered trucks that can be beaten up off road and can also literally jump curbs and sand dunes.....and also rock crawl.
It took serious engineering by Ford's racing team to come with the Raptor. I can't speak for the TRX.
I think trucks as a whole are getting to be insanely overpriced, but that's a reflection of that entire market, which in turn is driven by an ever growing demand for trucks coupled with massive improvements in performance and ride quality.
The best analogy if you want to state the case that the TRX and Raptor are overpriced would be to compare them to a Mercedes G wagon...... which is the only comparable luxury vehicle made by any of the Germans that can do what these trucks can do off road.
Talk about overpriced. I would take a Raptor all day long over that douchemobile.

I've driven a GLE AMG 53 and you want to talk about problems with a vehicle that comes out to nearly $90K, and with a horrible depreciation curve? Yes, the fit and finish seem amazing brand new.......but then watch how fast that thing shows its true colors once the warranty wears off.
What kind of travel numbers does the G wagon pull?

Not sure I would say it can do the same things.

bruin1md

Reaction score
What kind of travel numbers does the G wagon pull?

Not sure I would say it can do the same things.
Similar things......in that it's the only truly off road capable vehicle the Germans make wrapped in a luxury package.......and a $160k+ price tag

ironpeddler

Reaction score
Thanks. The value proposition is where the raptor kind of falls on its face. I don’t care how bad of a gas mileage you are getting there is no way to justify the 25k price difference with having 250 less horsepower. But the market is what it is and as long as it holds it doesn’t matter much. I have been offered 90k for trx by carmax I don’t think they would offer more than rhat on the raptor. So certainly in the eyes of the market they are priced closely. With that said if I’m given a choice of a base raptor at 67 and base trx at 77 with 10k off and I’m choosing one for daily drive for couple years it will be the base raptor.
As I said previously there is absolutel no reason for any of these trucks to compete with Porsche, Audi s , bmw M, and Benz amg in terms of price. Neither Ford or ram dealer provide a rental car for a 90k car, neither both have the feel fit and finish of the German cars. 991.2 base 911s had a 89k starting price.

$90k for a TRX from carmax when?? When they absolutely first came out and you couldn't get one??? There is no way you are getting a $90k TRX offer from carmax currently.