My gen3 vs trx comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepSRT8

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
This should be common sense but the shipping weight and curb weight are two different things. If you care enough google the difference and you will see what I mean. The shipping weights are standardized most of the time and do not take into account a few different factors. Your TRX doesn't weigh 625X lbs. driving around, guarantee it. Driving around a delivered TRX you would be closer to curb weight/6400 lbs. than 6200 lbs. Unless you have a pic of your delivered TRX on a scale the weight on the title doesn't really mean much in the real world.

And you have to weigh a car after you take delivery to get a title?? That is news to me. Do they have weigh stations at the DMV or something? California thing? Never had to do that where I am from.
In Cali in order to register a vehicle purchased out of state you must smog, weigh, and have the dmv inspect it. Although I wouldn't 100% trust the scales around here. Most are not maintained properly. I would say they give you a accurate number within +-3%

ironpeddler

Reaction score
Man, cali is crazy. I just have to get it inspected by the DMV and that is all. And at best that is some random person that probably knows nothing about cars and is just recording the miles and vin #. No smog and no weighing. Curb weight in the US means it was weighted with a full tank of fuel. If the car was bought out of state and being driven on an empty tank of gas when weighed that would definitely save some weight. But the Raptor would also be 100+ lbs. lighter than its advertised curb weight if it was on empty. Point being, I would bet there is more than a 400 lb. weight difference between the trucks all things being equal. Not really fair to compare a empty tank TRX to a curb weight Raptor that has a 36 gal. fuel tank. Easiest thing to do is compare curb to curb and there is a 65X lb. weight difference which is a considerable difference. That weight difference is not going to make the Raptor beat a TRX in 0-60 on a paved road, as we have seen in videos, but it would be very valuable when doing some off-roading comparisons.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This should be common sense but the shipping weight and curb weight are two different things. If you care enough google the difference and you will see what I mean. The shipping weights are standardized most of the time and do not take into account a few different factors. Your TRX doesn't weigh 625X lbs. driving around, guarantee it. Driving around a delivered TRX you would be closer to curb weight/6400 lbs. than 6200 lbs. Unless you have a pic of your delivered TRX on a scale the weight on the title doesn't really mean much in the real world.

And you have to weigh a car after you take delivery to get a title?? That is news to me. Do they have weigh stations at the DMV or something? California thing? Never had to do that where I am from.
He doesn’t own one, I think we’ve established that. That’s what’s kinda amusing about the “TRX va Raptor” BS, ANYONE who actually owns a Raptor can afford a TRX, I mean….Raptors are more expensive. It’s not like a mustang owner making claims against a vette or Audi or Aston etc, it’s the opposite. If anyone believed that shit & truly thought a TRC was that special/worth so much….ummm….they’d be that much sought after & worth that much, but they ain’t (ever seen money ball? Lol) this dude is so butt hurt cuz I simply dropped receipts on his ******** while simply made ignorant assertions- now he looks dumb, surprise surprise. Mid 12s in 1/4 all day every day w/ tune only, btw - does moron poster care to consider how much power NOT being able to run in 2wd saps from
The TRX? -2 trans cogs + 650 lbs? Lol

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would shut up and troll somewhere else
Yeah bud….seems To me like you’re the one trolling Sonny boy

Here’s the 2018 (bought brand new w/ cash) & after being totaled by millennial broad, the vettes (dr Jekyll & mr Hyde) & the 2020 “replacement” Rappy, who’s trolling who basement boy?

Attachments

• CD3CCC90-4D8D-4B61-9393-1DAECAA5B389.jpeg
    CD3CCC90-4D8D-4B61-9393-1DAECAA5B389.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 51
  • FAB9D912-2967-4BF7-BA19-700DCD5C4E1D.png
    FAB9D912-2967-4BF7-BA19-700DCD5C4E1D.png
    818 KB · Views: 54
  • C31F3AA0-55A1-4C41-8803-EDE63794F76D.jpeg
    C31F3AA0-55A1-4C41-8803-EDE63794F76D.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 34526DD3-E2EB-40D3-81E1-BA6ADA4FA924.jpeg
    34526DD3-E2EB-40D3-81E1-BA6ADA4FA924.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 4895C1A7-620A-4AB5-8B4B-6E7D1CB0A8B6.jpeg
    4895C1A7-620A-4AB5-8B4B-6E7D1CB0A8B6.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 55

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Other vette & LF 2020…troll? Haha- the wheels im rocking w/ those Nokians I bought off a forum member bahahahaha

Attachments

• C6F5B994-470E-49C4-9661-4A7B38433EFD.png
    C6F5B994-470E-49C4-9661-4A7B38433EFD.png
    818 KB · Views: 23
  • F90042FB-4ED9-4F31-9DAF-65B65855EA64.jpeg
    F90042FB-4ED9-4F31-9DAF-65B65855EA64.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 24

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing people don’t fully realize until they drive some back to back, or maybe what I should say is…raw performance #s don’t tell the whole story. I too have owned/driven a lot of performance vehicles on/off road, on tracks some too, I have a crazy fast/overbuilt C5Z vette 718whp w/ nearly every nut & bolt touched in one way or another on it, but if I was going to add another vehicle to the stable many of my choices are much less powerful/“slower” than the Z & yet provide more enjoyment in other ways.

Civic-R, M2 comp, Cayman-S, Subie Sti, CT4V blackwing manual, Chevy SS 1LE, new upcoming Nissan Z, - there’s more to driving enjoyment than pure straight line acceleration or eye popping braking force. The way a vehicle feels overall, steering feedback, cornering feel, a drivers seat that feels like a cockpit, switch gear that looks like it’s yanked outta a race car, exhaust growl/burble, heel toe rev matching, power shifting, Having An actual transmission w/ gear shifts you can feel (or better yet- perform on your own), intake growl, a mild rocking/shivering @ idle from a slightly lopey factory cam, I could go on & on….sometimes it’s nice to drive a slower car as fast as possible.

If you’ve ever ridden sport or dirt bikes I think the concept of enjoying a “slower” bike that you can actually ring out every gear to screaming redline is more rewarding/satisfying than a liter bike+ that can’t be ridden to its full potential even on a race track unless a) it’s a big friggin track & b) you’re a REALLY good rider. Sure- I enjoy straddling a Busa or a Vmax too, but for entirely different reasons.
Perfectly stated and absolutely on point. I'll just comment on your last sentence as I too would love to ride a Busa. Been watching video reviews of them. If I were young enough, I'd have a hard time deciding between that and the BMW M 1000RR though.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah bud….seems To me like you’re the one trolling Sonny boy

Here’s the 2018 (bought brand new w/ cash) & after being totaled by millennial broad, the vettes (dr Jekyll & mr Hyde) & the 2020 “replacement” Rappy, who’s trolling who basement boy?
a split window vette? Wow, don't see too many of those. If that went on the auction block it'd command a pretty penny.

Baja2K

Reaction score
Spent a week in Baja for the 2021 Baja 1000 Race. I did some pre-running with a close friend in a box stock '21 Raptor with 37pkg ( no glass roof). Road way better than antiapartheid at speed (80+) in Baja setting but using Sport mode . The big take away? Didn't see one TRX. Could be because Raptor has better range on its 36gal tank vs 30 for TRX or maybe the weight dif.? Also quite a few race teams use Raptors for their chase trucks. Don't mean to step on any toes just an observation.

R3G

Reaction score
I’ve had both Gen2 17’ Raptor and currently driving a 21 TRX both loaded. My Raptor was constantly in the shop, replaced the sunroof 2x, cam phasers blew at 31K miles and some other electrical issues that shutdown the entire vehicle-too many times i cant remember. Each time I’d take it in, it’d be gone at least 10 days, cam phaser issue took 2 months. So far I’ve taken in the TRX once at 5K miles for what feels like the slip yoke needing some lube. Anyways, until i take it to at least 36K miles its not really a fair comparison, takes some time to get comfortable with a new vehicle…but it seems like Ram got a lot right with the TRX, competition is good. I loved the Raptor and may eventually buy another one as it drove a bit more refined on-road, my biggest complaint is the power train, Ford should have given it a better name, “eco boost” just sounds wilted and sad and powertrain of a supercharged V8 in a truck is a special experience. The cool thing is it looks like every manufacturer is upping their truck game, bad thing is price…seems all these baja trucks headed to 100K+.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve had both Gen2 17’ Raptor and currently driving a 21 TRX both loaded. My Raptor was constantly in the shop, replaced the sunroof 2x, cam phasers blew at 31K miles and some other electrical issues that shutdown the entire vehicle-too many times i cant remember. Each time I’d take it in, it’d be gone at least 10 days, cam phaser issue took 2 months. So far I’ve taken in the TRX once at 5K miles for what feels like the slip yoke needing some lube. Anyways, until i take it to at least 36K miles its not really a fair comparison, takes some time to get comfortable with a new vehicle…but it seems like Ram got a lot right with the TRX, competition is good. I loved the Raptor and may eventually buy another one as it drove a bit more refined on-road, my biggest complaint is the power train, Ford should have given it a better name, “eco boost” just sounds wilted and sad and powertrain of a supercharged V8 in a truck is a special experience. The cool thing is it looks like every manufacturer is upping their truck game, bad thing is price…seems all these baja trucks headed to 100K+.
I hear ya and I’m not arguing. Your experience is just that, your experience. And the cam phaser has affected many.

No one who is sane can argue 450hp, regardless of the name, against 700 supercharged hp.

That said, I never bought any of my three Gen2s for 0-60. I had a 2020 M5 for that and it got old quick. And my three Gen2s have been reliable, each having about 25k miles before trade. My third is being traded if Ford can ever build my Gen3.

Competition is good for everyone.