My gen3 vs trx comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure haven't. It's an improved truck in most respects for sure, but to make up some BS on how the suspension improves straight line performance when there has been zero tests to show this, is just inaccurate.

I know enough about motor sports to know SOTP is probably the worst way to judge performance.
Didn't Goose have a G2 and G3 on a dyno back to back and show a bunch more power from the g3 vs. g2?...
"Gen 2
Stock HP - 355whp
Stock Torque - 404wtq

Gen 3
Stock HP - 382whp
Stock Torque - 517wtq"
..... Doesn't sound like SOTP to me... buuuut.....

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
a split window vette? Wow, don't see too many of those. If that went on the auction block it'd command a pretty penny.
Was a buy between my dad & uncle they actually bought it @ a Barrett Jackson 15 years ago, they paid $58k for it then lol! my dad passed my uncle still has it & now we sorta “co-own” it together, I have no idea what it’s worth TBH has an LS3 & body work is legit, the auctions are crazy these days. TBH I don’t drive it other than occasional show, I’m too worried bout ******** it up & the roads are awful in the NE. If we lived in AZ or something different story

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve had both Gen2 17’ Raptor and currently driving a 21 TRX both loaded. My Raptor was constantly in the shop, replaced the sunroof 2x, cam phasers blew at 31K miles and some other electrical issues that shutdown the entire vehicle-too many times i cant remember. Each time I’d take it in, it’d be gone at least 10 days, cam phaser issue took 2 months. So far I’ve taken in the TRX once at 5K miles for what feels like the slip yoke needing some lube. Anyways, until i take it to at least 36K miles its not really a fair comparison, takes some time to get comfortable with a new vehicle…but it seems like Ram got a lot right with the TRX, competition is good. I loved the Raptor and may eventually buy another one as it drove a bit more refined on-road, my biggest complaint is the power train, Ford should have given it a better name, “eco boost” just sounds wilted and sad and powertrain of a supercharged V8 in a truck is a special experience. The cool thing is it looks like every manufacturer is upping their truck game, bad thing is price…seems all these baja trucks headed to 100K+.

Well having a first year for new model gen (assume could’ve been an early build too?) will result in higher potential for issues, based on my own experience seems like if you can manage it getting the last model year before a full design change is “usually” the best bet, hence why I wasn’t so mad about replacing my totaled 2018 gen2 w/ a late build 2020 & being too far out to wait for the Gen3s to come out @ the time (esp given the allocation issues & markups) downside doing this is then even though you have a brand new “late model” vehicle it looks identical to one that’s 5-7 years old lol

Good thing about Ford & the F150/Raptor in particular is that they kept the design language very close between the outgoing 2020s & new 2021/2022 trucks. Some may not like that they’re so similar, I say- it’s an attractive truck why mess it up if it’s not “broke” lol

If I could have a TRX and a Raptor- I would

But that would never be possible unless I hit the lotto b/c even if we could “afford” it 0% chance my wife would be down w/ it & divorces are expensive (so I hear) I totally get the attraction to the blown Hemi 6.2 BUT I just really like nature/reliability/efficiency & “tuneability” of the EB3.5, also cool knowing a lot of it is shared w/ the GT version & knowing it sports forged internals gives peace of mind.

Enjoy

04silverL

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother and I both own identical base with no option TRXs and we just picked up a gen3 in SoCal for 10k over for him and I’m still waiting to get mine hopefully at a better price. Got a chance to drive drive it back home for 200 miles or so and here is what it boils down to.
Raptor is a more fun truck while driving slow and the trx definitely shines going fast. I personally hate the hemi engine/v8 sound when cruising below 2k rpm, but it’s a different story at WOT. The supercharger wine combined with the exhaust is intoxicating. The raptor sounds great in Baja mode at 4K plus rpm but it really sounds the same as gen2 at lower RPMs . So if you think the new exhaust is going to mitigate gen2 issues around town you re going to be disappointed.

Gas mileage is about 30% better in the raptor. It’s nothing to sneeze at if you are driving too much but also not a huge deal breaker considering the extra power. I’m averaging 10mpg around town cruising with the trx and getting about 13 in the city. Same goes for hwy driving.
Trx manages about 15 vs raptors 18 as measured in the same route today. You can certainly get to 8mpgs with a very heavy foot on the trx but raptor will also be about 10 in the same scenarios

Cold start. No comparison between the two.
Handling:
Raptor drives a bit smaller and that’s because trx is ~2 inches wider and 1 inch taller. Mine weight 6200 pounds. I know a fully loaded 37 weighs about 5950 so yes it doesn weigh more. Not sure how much this 35 weighs.
Both trucks are very confident in sharp turns and freeway ramps. Very planted with minimal body roll.

Interior design:
I think it’s a wash here with a slight edge to the trx. The CarPlay is full screen. And nicer compare to gen3. Maybe there is a way to fit the CarPlay in the entire screen in the raptor so I’ll play around to see if it’s doable.

Exterior.
This is the area that raptor absolutely shines. No comparison. It absolutely is a better looking truck from side and rear.
The trx bed sits about 4-5 inches higher than the raptor which makes it look awkward and high.

raptor is absolutely a more practical choice. If the truck is a daily driver I’d take the raptor hands down. But this doesn’t mean that it’s the most fun of the two because it certainly isn’t. But if the truck isn’t at wot more than 1% of time I’d be more than happy with the raptor considering the looks and gas savings.

Transmission:
Both trucks are fast shifting in manual mode. This is a definite improvement from gen2 as the lag almost made the paddles useless. I did notice some delay in shifiting at low rpms in sports mode as if the truck did not want to allow a shift at 2k rpm but don’t have enough seat time to figure out what’s going on.

Price:
We got the trxs at 10k below at 65k and the raptor for 10k above at 89 so certainly the price doesn’t play a factor. But both these trucks are took damn expensive for what they are. No reason the gen3 nor the trx should be above 60-70k range when compared with other cars in this price range GLE 63 amg c63 amg, m4, m5, s7.

Steering The damn steeeing wheel needs to be kept 10 degrees off center to go straight with noticeable dead spot in the center. The truck will be dropped off at the dealer to figure out the off center issue but I thing the dead band is something that is designed in. I feel like the trx has a more precise feel with less deadband. Maybe it’s the mode the truck was in.

The only complain on the raptor besides the price is that I just wished it was a bit more different than the gen2. The difference is certainly not night and day as some would like to make you believe. It does ride nicer due to the rear coils. The ride is quite good but I just wish the drivetrain had more to distinguish itself from the previous gen.
Nice comparison. Both trucks are awesome. I saw a TRX up close and personal a few days ago and thought the same thing about the bed.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't Goose have a G2 and G3 on a dyno back to back and show a bunch more power from the g3 vs. g2?...
"Gen 2
Stock HP - 355whp
Stock Torque - 404wtq

Gen 3
Stock HP - 382whp
Stock Torque - 517wtq"
..... Doesn't sound like SOTP to me... buuuut.....
Ahh have you seen other dynos on the Gen3? Strangely it's not even close to that.

And I say again, if it was a better straight like performer, it would be evident in straight line testing. This isn't the case.

It's actually been the opposite.

R3G

Reaction score
Well having a first year for new model gen (assume could’ve been an early build too?) will result in higher potential for issues, based on my own experience seems like if you can manage it getting the last model year before a full design change is “usually” the best bet, hence why I wasn’t so mad about replacing my totaled 2018 gen2 w/ a late build 2020 & being too far out to wait for the Gen3s to come out @ the time (esp given the allocation issues & markups) downside doing this is then even though you have a brand new “late model” vehicle it looks identical to one that’s 5-7 years old lol

Good thing about Ford & the F150/Raptor in particular is that they kept the design language very close between the outgoing 2020s & new 2021/2022 trucks. Some may not like that they’re so similar, I say- it’s an attractive truck why mess it up if it’s not “broke” lol

If I could have a TRX and a Raptor- I would

But that would never be possible unless I hit the lotto b/c even if we could “afford” it 0% chance my wife would be down w/ it & divorces are expensive (so I hear) I totally get the attraction to the blown Hemi 6.2 BUT I just really like nature/reliability/efficiency & “tuneability” of the EB3.5, also cool knowing a lot of it is shared w/ the GT version & knowing it sports forged internals gives peace of mind.

Enjoy
I think i like the exterior look of the raptor better, and interior of the trx better; same boat as you-would be great to have both. Just yesterday i mentioned going to look at raptors and my wife’s response indicated she hasnt mentally recovered from the TRX purchase yet

TonyR0206

Reaction score
I remember dodge also had wild cheap lease offerings on the 6.2 hellcats in ~2017 and 2018. Crazy how these discounts continued to the TRX. I don't remember the 6.2L jeep getting any discount. I'm not sure if its a whole FCA thing, or to certain vehicles with different build efficiencies that can let them do these discounts.

They are probably just very efficient at building their trucks and chargers &
…. and have you looked at the actual sales numbers Ford vs Fiat? Fiat can’t move anything without dropping the price whereas Ford sells everything they can get out the door of production. Just sayin’ Fiat is the same old crap in a new wrapper.
Fiat hasn't owned Dodge/Ram since 2019. It's now owned by "Stellantis". As you said, same old crap in a new wrapper, with a new parent company.

Southocplumber

Reaction score
The hardest part for me deciding between these two trucks is price/value , I won’t be racing any Baja 1000 runs , most guys that do that have totally different trucks for that with wild long travel and cages etc. but I would like to be able to mess around a little , it’s just hard to think about jumping a 100k truck
Price - a new raptor is 84kish msrp, then add the dealer markup of 10-20k or more
The trx loaded is like 95 but can be had for 10k under msrp
That puts the trx 15-20k cheaper than raptor
Value - the raptor I’ve read has had lots of problems with cam phasers etc prob from pushing a small v6 so hard to get those speeds, to get more hp into the trx number you have to chip/tune it and everyone knows that’s gotta be hard on the motor
The trx has over 250hp more and sounds real nice plus I’m sure it’s suspension is more than “most” drivers will ever need pushing these trucks
I am a long time ford owner and do think the raptor looks nicer but 20-30k nicer?
With gas prices the trx mpg and needing 91 would be tough
The trx has a very nice interior , raptor is nicer outside.
The raptor R seems like it’s gonna be 150k or more and if it’s same power as trx seems like most won’t find the value in it.
It really sucks that in this market you can’t order a new raptor to even pay just msrp , your stuck paying 15k+ over
But you can get the fastest production off-road truck around for 10-11k under msrp

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure why you say you can‘t order a Raptor at MSRP. There are quite a few dealers where you can do exactly that. I did As did many others here.

dvm

Reaction score
Not sure why you say you can‘t order a Raptor at MSRP. There are quite a few dealers where you can do exactly that. I did As did many others here.
The reality is very few people are able to get MSRP for a V6 raptor.

Even less than that will be able to get a R at MRSP.

But everyone can get a TRX under MSRP by 9-11k from three different dealers in the US with NO hassle and without making 20-50 phone calls. There is a lot to be said for my time saved.

With all this said I do supposedly have an R for MSRP which I assume will be extremely rare if not impossible. The owner is a personal friend. So I got lucky.

In the mean time I will Enjoy my Rex.