My 2020 Moonroof "CRUNCH"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTC-NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve said before and will reiterate: There would be a market fore a “moon roof delete kit” - solid carbon fiber replacement panels you permanently affix in place of the glass panels.
Well...the moonroof is there to be used and enjoy...not to "delete" it and never use.

What FORD needs to do is ensure A REPAIR IS DONE at acceptable rates and not require to replace ENTIRE MOONROOF...especially in a case like this with so many KNOWN PROBLEMS...! Let's not forget this is a vehicle with 26K miles on it ONLY...still in "warranty"...!

I have other vehicles 10+ years old with moonroofs and NONE gave me ANY problems regarding this...but in full disclosure I have to admit: none of them are American made: Porsche, Lexus, Acura...

We make vehicles TO REPAIR all the time!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well...the moonroof is there to be used and enjoy...not to "delete" it and never use.
Lots of people get a moonroof because that's what's on the dealer's lot and they don't want to wait for an order. My wife's last three cars came with moonroofs. We used one once. It was so underwhelming that we now just ignore the damn thing. With all of the known problems with the F150 moonroof, you'd have to really really want one and be willing to do the quarterly maintenance. What really cracks me up are the folks who buy one for resale even though they don't really want it for themselves. Talk about buying trouble. I'd pay extra for a moonroof delete if it was standard.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I have the moon roof and have had zero problems, 45k miles. Also have not had any issues with the truck. So stating that they need repair "all the time" is not a true statement for everyone.

On the other hand, the wife's Range Rover has been plagued with suspension issues.

GTC-NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of people get a moonroof because that's what's on the dealer's lot and they don't want to wait for an order. My wife's last three cars came with moonroofs. We used one once. It was so underwhelming that we now just ignore the damn thing. With all of the known problems with the F150 moonroof, you'd have to really really want one and be willing to do the quarterly maintenance. What really cracks me up are the folks who buy one for resale even though they don't really want it for themselves. Talk about buying trouble. I'd pay extra for a moonroof delete if it was standard.
The only reason I bought this vehicle is because it is a RAPTOR! I placed the order in August 2012 and arrived and picked up in January 2013 so...no...it was not bought from the dealer's lot....like all the other vehicles I own.

I like a moonroof (have it in all the others) and used to use it on the Raptor once in a while...Had no idea at the time of purchase about the "potential problems" on all F-150's with the moonroof and so early and so expensive!

FORD SUCKS BIG TIME !...not because they do not know how to make good vehicles...but BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT !

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
FORD SUCKS BIG TIME !...not because they do not know how to make good vehicles...but BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT !

Then sell it and move on with your life. Bitching about problems on the internet is not going to fix your moon roof. Go back to a vehicle that has crank windows and no power steering, less things to break. I just suggest that you opt out of the 8 track player. Not much new music being released on them at the moment.

GTC-NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then sell it and move on with your life. Bitching about problems on the internet is not going to fix your moon roof. Go back to a vehicle that has crank windows and no power steering, less things to break. I just suggest that you opt out of the 8 track player. Not much new music being released on them at the moment.
YOU ARE AN IDIOT !
Not able to sustain a DECENT CONVERSATION ?
CLEARLY A RED-necker...arse...?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Negative. You are talking in caps and saying how bad Ford sucks at building cars/trucks. I am welcome to debate but that tactic tells me that you are not open to debate.

And there is no reason to start calling people names.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The only reason I bought this vehicle is because it is a RAPTOR! I placed the order in August 2012 and arrived and picked up in January 2013 so...no...it was not bought from the dealer's lot....like all the other vehicles I own.

I like a moonroof (have it in all the others) and used to use it on the Raptor once in a while...Had no idea at the time of purchase about the "potential problems" on all F-150's with the moonroof and so early and so expensive!

I’m going to channel my inner @FordTechOne here.

Peasant car moon roofs aren’t going to get off roaded by knuckleheads like us, so the F150 / F-series use case is quite a bit more demanding than your volvo station wagon. First off, you try doing a Raptor Assault high speed course with your Subaru, all things being equal and you’re going break suspension, and driveline components, and quite possibly the moonroof - which did break on my old S00b. and yeah the tracks aren’t a cheap fix and there’s plastic in there but to paraphrase FTO: ‘do you want the glass to shatter or the cheap plastic piece to break if the pressure exceeds the opening threshold pressure?’

So, while I didn’t want or need a moon roof, when I was in the market, it was cheaper for me to get the MSRP decked out 802a truck than pay ADM on a lesser optioned truck. YMMV.

Yes, I’d definitely seriously consider a delete kit, but, I do have to concede that it’s not like the glass panels have given me concern in my use case.

Lastly, it’s possible to do the repairs DIY. You can source the various parts and hit up youtube. I’d be a bit hesitant but it has been done by hundreds of owners.

Good luck !