My 2020 Moonroof "CRUNCH"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding panoramic roof issues:

1. Regardless of manufacturer, they are complex, heavy, and require periodic maintenance. With more moving parts they can fail more often than smaller—and simpler sunroof/moonroofs. Can’t compare the two platforms.

2. On forums such as FRF, we primarily hear of problems (NOT dismissing the frustration by those who experience the issue). The problem is—we don’t know the percentage failure rate. We need that to determine if there is a legitimate design issue that needs addressing—using an incremental approach. In operations, our OEM warranty department processes a number of claims for panoramic roofs, but at least I know to the number—what the rate is per total number for a specific model, year, production cycle, vendor part, etc.

3. Ford manufacturers many fold more panoramic roofs than my OEM—staggeringly so. Given the popularity of the F-series trucks, not to mention the Expedition/Navigator—Ford’s volume likely dwarfs that of most OEMs in this specific category. Unfortunately this volume means we may hear about it more frequently online. Again—impossible for us to speculate if there is a problem—while NOT dismissive of those who have one. Note: This does mean that if 200 roofs by my OEM fail—we have a higher percentage failure rate—which could lead to addressing the issue past a defined threshold.

In summary, I/we can only control the following:

1. Periodic maintenance per OEM specs. Peace of mind in knowing I’m doing my level best.

2. Use of said feature: Periodic use of a mechanism isn’t going to cause, nor prevent a problem if a flaw exists. Using the feature will hopefully allow the flaw to occur while under warranty. My wife and I’ve owned several convertibles and dropped the roofs daily (weather permitting)—because we liked the fresh air. Note: I’ve experienced problems with convertible tops by various OEMs—which were identified due to our frequent use. Pain in the ass—yes, but less of a pain than not enjoying the top down.

3. Buying a vehicle with a mechanically complex roof. If I wanted to eliminate risk—I’d only buy hardtop vehicles (no convertibles, sunroof/moonroof, panoramic roof, or even solid glass roofs). I’m not willing to give up the pleasure of driving top down/roof open as my family lives in a warm climate. If I lived in the Northeast, Midwest, etc—I’d likely lean toward a metal roof.

In humor—while in “college” I owned a used 1986 VW GTI with hand crank windows, hand crank sunroof, and manual everything. Those simple items didn’t break, but I had plenty of other stuff go wrong (including head gaskets, throttle cables, cooling system, and rust). Our modern vehicles are far more complex—platforms, mechanical hardware, software, etc—but I prefer the headaches while enjoying the cool stuff.
Sorry for those who have issues and unfortunately if you do—hope they occur under warranty!

————-
EDIT: I do not work for Ford. I respect the forum and benefit from the professionals who share non proprietary insights—regarding the care/feeding of my Raptor. In return, I choose to share non-proprietary insights from an operations, mechanical engineering, and fellow automotive enthusiast standpoint.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shane361

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Regarding panoramic failures:

1. Regardless of manufacturer, they are complex, heavy, and require periodic maintenance. With more moving parts they can fail more often than smaller—and simpler sunroof/moonroofs. Can’t compare the two platforms.

2. On forums such as FRF, we primarily hear of problems (NOT dismissing the frustration by those who experience the issue). The problem is—we don’t know the percentage failure rate. We need that to determine if there is a legitimate design issue that needs addressing—using an incremental approach. My OEM warranty department processes a number of claims for panoramic roofs, but at least I know what the rate is per total number for a specific model, year, production cycle, etc.

3. Ford manufacturers many fold more panoramic roofs than my OEM—staggeringly so. Given the popularity of the F-series trucks, not to mention the Expedition/Navigator—Ford’s volume likely dwarfs any OEM. Unfortunately this volume means we may hear about it more frequently online. Again—impossible for us to speculate if there is a problem—while NOT dismissive of those who have one. Note: This does mean that if 200 roofs by my OEM fail—we have a higher percentage failure rate—which could lead to addressing the issue past a defined threshold.

In summary, I/we can only control the following:

1. Periodic maintenance per OEM specs. Peace of mind in knowing I’m doing my level best.

2. Use of said feature. Periodic use of a mechanism isn’t going to cause, nor prevent a problem if a flaw exists. Using the feature will hopefully allow the flaw to occur while under warranty. My wife and I’ve owned several convertibles and dropped the roofs daily (weather permitting)—because we liked the fresh air. Note: We’ve experienced problems with convertible tops by various OEMs—which were identified due to our frequent use. Pain in the ass—yes, but less of a pain than not enjoying the top down.

3. Buying a vehicle with a mechanically complex roof. If I wanted to eliminate risk—I’d only buy hardtop vehicles (no convertibles, sunroof/moonroof, panoramic roof, or even solid glass roofs). I’m not willing to give up the pleasure of driving top down/roof open as my family lives in a warm climate. If I lived in the Northeast, Midwest, etc—I’d likely lean toward a metal roof.

In humor—while in “college” I owned a used 1986 VW GTI with hand crank windows, hand crank sunroof, and manual everything. Those simple items didn’t break, but I had plenty of other stuff go wrong (including head gaskets and rust). Our modern vehicles are far more complex—platforms, mechanical hardware, software, etc—but I prefer the headaches while enjoying the cool stuff.

Sorry for those who have issues and unfortunately if you do—hope they occur under warranty!
Luckily for me I did not want the moonroof so I don't have to use the moonroof thus leading to a lesser chance of failure. :)

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't mess with stereos much I see.
The last stereo I added to a vehicle played 8-track tapes ... too much heavy equipment driving and unprotected shooting in my youth to spend money on something I will never appreciate.

OP
OP
Shane361

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The last stereo I added to a vehicle played 8-track tapes ... too much heavy equipment driving and unprotected shooting in my youth to spend money on something I will never appreciate.
Yeah I'm a bass head. Think I have over 10 grand in my stereo currently. But I was a small arms instructor and crew serve weapons instructor in the Navy so guns are my thing as well. :)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
have you ever put a db meter in your truck?

Really, once you get up over 130db in the cabin, all you’re really doing is damaging your hearing long term.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
have you ever put a db meter in your truck?

Really, once you get up over 130db in the cabin, all you’re really doing is damaging your hearing long term.
I can attest to this. When I was younger I had a truck with 2 18’s in a bandpass box in the bed with a blow through that hit 150db, and I definitely have long term hearing loss. I had so much into that system that I never had the heart to go that all in again, and don’t want any more hearing loss.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Exactly. If you look at just how little noise it takes for a few seconds exposure to start negatively impacting your hearing, suddenly a 160db sustained volume isn’t so attractive. There’s a reason why concert staff wear ear plugs and it’s not because they don’t like music.

My truck hits just over 90db in the cabin, windows up, heavy throttle.

Decibel+Chart+2021.png

A suppressed pistol firing subsonic is in the high 90’s to under 110 db. the 100-109 db range is commonly dubbed “hearing safe” meaning you don’t need hearing protection to shoot them. 110 or higher is a bit discomforting.

But it’s context dependent. 105 db on an outside range is quiet. 105 at an indoor range with lane dividers isn’t hearing safe. Try it. Tell me your ears like it.

supersonic rifle rounds hit 140-150db, and that will definitely impact your hearing both short and long term. If you hear ringing afterwards, that’s bad.

back to stereos. My target with my build was
More bass.
can hear the lyrics all windows down at 70mph.

I push 4x75w on the main amp with a 450 watt single 10” sub.
I easily overcome the engine/exhaust sound by about 2/3 volume. I can’t imagine how impactful Shane’s build is.

in high school I had a buddy whose step dad had a Mustang drag racer. tubbed, 351c, pre- stroker, open headers, cage... as we were doing what teens do, he offered to show off his car. He started it up on his carport and it was literally rattling glass all through the house. he goosed the carb a couple times and it was pretty awesome sounding. Then he wound the throttle to the stop and we all just remember hearing a loud ringing sound for several minutes. It was super cool though.

OP
OP
Shane361

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have not metered it yet and still in the end stages of the build. I tink I will hit 150 easy though when it's done. I get unhappy real quick and then the build changes. I think I am where I want to be because any more and I will def start hurting the truck and I've literally wasted enough money on this build. I got my new amp in and took a shot of it this morning...can't wait. 6000 watts should be just right for these subs. Also I when I want to put the seat back in and run my under seat enclosure I can wire them to 2ohms and they will get just enough power or stay at 1ohm and beat on them hard. Think I mentioned my 2nd bank of Lithium is being built now. I had ordered a back wall amp rack but looks like I need to sound deaden the back wall and build a custom one for these amps. No idea if the seat will fit and if it will not I may build a amp rack in the bed where the batteries are. Would be shorter runs of zero gauge and that shit is expensive. This amp takes three runs of power and ground. :)
SALT-6.jpg

OP
OP
Shane361

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. If you look at just how little noise it takes for a few seconds exposure to start negatively impacting your hearing, suddenly a 160db sustained volume isn’t so attractive. There’s a reason why concert staff wear ear plugs and it’s not because they don’t like music.

My truck hits just over 90db in the cabin, windows up, heavy throttle.

View attachment 346830

A suppressed pistol firing subsonic is in the high 90’s to under 110 db. the 100-109 db range is commonly dubbed “hearing safe” meaning you don’t need hearing protection to shoot them. 110 or higher is a bit discomforting.

But it’s context dependent. 105 db on an outside range is quiet. 105 at an indoor range with lane dividers isn’t hearing safe. Try it. Tell me your ears like it.

supersonic rifle rounds hit 140-150db, and that will definitely impact your hearing both short and long term. If you hear ringing afterwards, that’s bad.

back to stereos. My target with my build was
More bass.
can hear the lyrics all windows down at 70mph.

I push 4x75w on the main amp with a 450 watt single 10” sub.
I easily overcome the engine/exhaust sound by about 2/3 volume. I can’t imagine how impactful Shane’s build is.

in high school I had a buddy whose step dad had a Mustang drag racer. tubbed, 351c, pre- stroker, open headers, cage... as we were doing what teens do, he offered to show off his car. He started it up on his carport and it was literally rattling glass all through the house. he goosed the carb a couple times and it was pretty awesome sounding. Then he wound the throttle to the stop and we all just remember hearing a loud ringing sound for several minutes. It was super cool though.

Guns, cars and stereo's! Now we're talking! I've owned 6 Mustangs...all pretty cool for one reason or another. Supercharger on three of them, Mystic Cobra, Mach1, Terminator, few blown GT's.
Mine might sound like alot but I have friends here that make mine look like I have a bluetooth player in the backseat. Not exaggerating when I say I was at a friends house the other day and between his 6 cars/trucks/shed he had about 500K in stereo. Every one of his builds destroyed mine. So with that kind of influence..hahaha. Here is a shot or two of his lower builds.

Attachments

• James1.PNG
    James1.PNG
    495.4 KB · Views: 13
  • james3.PNG
    james3.PNG
    478.9 KB · Views: 13
  • james2.PNG
    james2.PNG
    403.7 KB · Views: 13

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Mine might sound like alot but I have friends here that make mine look like I have a bluetooth player in the backseat. Not exaggerating when I say I was at a friends house the other day and between his 6 cars/trucks/shed he had about 500K in stereo. Every one of his builds destroyed mine. So with that kind of influence..hahaha. Here is a shot or two of his lower builds.

gotta keep up with the Jones’s ;-)

When I was looking online for a db chart, one of them listed “rock concert” at 130 db.

Whoever wrote that never went to a Who concert. Those guys had speaker arrays over 2 stories high. There is loud and there is Who loud. Ironically, loud as it was, they are or were quite musically good. I worked 2 shows in... ’89 IIRC. And that I did without ear plugs at the first show. My ears were still ringing the next night and hell yes I used earplugs that night.

Your stereo clearly has great power. Use it wisely.