My 2020 Moonroof "CRUNCH"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I rarely use my moonroof and I wish I didn't have it...but here I am. As if they don't have enough issues themselves alone, I'm around a more than average wattage stereo system. Full tilt my vision gets blurry. It's a love hate relationship. I love it but my truck hates it. I knew it was only a matter of time after purchasing this 2020 before I got hit with the moonroof woes. Some of you already know where I'm heading and have been here. Not a total cluster as of yet and maybe just maybe I saved myself further issues. I had given my truck up to a shop for some RPG 1.5 spacers to level it. When I received the truck back the following day I noted some sunlight shining down on me. There was a half inch crack letting in the light, the sunshade would not close. Coincidental I'm sure, but they did pick it up from work and drop it back off to me at work. I simply couldn't drop it off there with my schedule. Was literally on the phone with my wife when I sent it to the rear talking about here it comes....and then it did...CRUNCH. Black pieces of plastic fell in the back. Luckily, the sunshade closed back to the almost closed position where it had been previously. The next step...You Tube. I don't know exactly what assembly this black piece of plastic goes to on the sunshade but currently it is working.

I decided to do some maintenance and inspect for damage. Sent the shade back, sent moonroof to vent. From the outside I cleaned the gasket as much as I could, about 65% is reachable. I then sent the moonroof back and cleaned the remainder of the moonroof. I then applied Krytox 205 grease to the gasket all around the moonroof front glass panel. I also checked for any remaining broken plastic pieces and cleaned what I could reach in the area. I then cleaned and applied Krytox to the rear seal from the outside. I didn't think this would fix the issue with the sunscreen especially after not finding anything that would have prevented full closure. My other hope was to perform the initialization. I was thrilled when this worked. I'll be doing the seal clean and Krytox application semi-annually. It'll probably be the only time I operate the damn thing. Hope this helps someone else...if you have one...clean and lube it.
Krytox by Chemours GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE/PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube (D10170248): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
https://youtu.be/GCj0pIjgT1M

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, if you’re never going to use it, that would be viable. Honestly, if someone could make a “to fit” carbon fiber plate / “F150 moonroof delete kit” and could do it for reasonable money, I’d bet there would be a lot of adopters.

Usually black plastic pieces flying portends broken tracks, and I’m by no means a moonroof expert but I think broken tracks could allow the glass to be misaligned, not a desired result. Hopefully someone with more practical experience can chime in. I mention because when mine broke the thing would get within an inch of closing and bounce back to the rear. After a few retries I was able to help it closed until the repair. The day there’s a flash thunderstorm and you need to close the glass --RFN-- is the day you’ll be using it and it refuse closure.

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you’re never going to use it, that would be viable. Honestly, if someone could make a “to fit” carbon fiber plate / “F150 moonroof delete kit” and could do it for reasonable money, I’d bet there would be a lot of adopters.

Usually black plastic pieces flying portends broken tracks, and I’m by no means a moonroof expert but I think broken tracks could allow the glass to be misaligned, not a desired result. Hopefully someone with more practical experience can chime in. I mention because when mine broke the thing would get within an inch of closing and bounce back to the rear. After a few retries I was able to help it closed until the repair. The day there’s a flash thunderstorm and you need to close the glass --RFN-- is the day you’ll be using it and it refuse closure.
Uhhh, I beg to differ…you are as close to a moonroof expert as we have.

OP
OP
Shane361

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Luckily, whatever broke was affiliated with the sunshade. And it fell dead center of the truck in the back seat area. Everything works great but I'll def be cleaning and lubricating the gaskets around the glass and pray I never have an issue there. I won't be using it however so that will help. It'll get it's exercise every time I do the maintenance.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Uhhh, I beg to differ…you are as close to a moonroof expert as we have.
LOL! that it truly a bad situation :)
Luckily, whatever broke was affiliated with the sunshade. And it fell dead center of the truck in the back seat area. Everything works great but I'll def be cleaning and lubricating the gaskets around the glass and pray I never have an issue there. I won't be using it however so that will help. It'll get it's exercise every time I do the maintenance.
That is really fortunate. I’m hoping the local stealership will pony up for moonroof lube next time in. My old stealership in NoVA did it included in the ‘works’. New locals are a much smaller shop and weren’t as willing to throw that in free - and they weren’t charging as much either.

T-Rex 7

Reaction score
I had the same problem after opening my moonroof, black pieces of plastic fell in the moonroof track and preventing it from closing all the way. It left a half inch gap until I removed the plastic residue.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The giant moonroof is referred to as a BAMR on most Ford forums. Big Ass Moon Roof. Duck that and see the pain that existed for Ford's customers for well over a decade before Ford decided, "You know what, let's put a BAMR in our best selling vehicle!

BAMRs parked outside in the summer are so horrible. The tiny greenhouse between the glass and sunshade superheats everything in the roof area and you can feel the heat radiating at your head when you get in to drive. They are great in the winter though, assuming you don't try to open it while frozen and break parts.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The giant moonroof is referred to as a BAMR on most Ford forums. Big Ass Moon Roof. Duck that and see the pain that existed for Ford's customers for well over a decade before Ford decided, "You know what, let's put a BAMR in our best selling vehicle!

It's the "because we can" school of design. Software is even worse. It would be acceptable if added "features" were reliable or useful. But even poorly thought out and badly implemented features sell, and that's what Ford cares about. Blame the folks who prefer fully loaded over functional.