MPT or ORA550

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duracell24

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience running the MPT PRX tunes and new ORA550 package (w/tune) back to back? I realize it’s unlikely, but thought it would be worth a shot to the crowd.

I really like the fact that the ORA550 package is adaptive to any octane, but not sure I can justify the extra $2k difference in price. I realize I’m not comparing apples to apples as I’m also getting a CAI and Intercooler. That being said, I’m not racing Baja and the MPT tune puts out nearly identical HP and TQ number differences for $2k less.

I know MPT makes an Any Octane Tune, but that also requires me to flash any time I want/need to throw a lower octane in it.

Any input, thoughts or experiences is greatly appreciated.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@duracell24

The ORA550 is a complete performance package and not just a tune. The hard parts that are included consist of the intercooler, intake, spark plugs and the SCT handheld tuner. If you're just looking for a tune and tuner, we can definitely accomodate that. However the performance numbers referenced in the ORA550 package are attainable with that combination of parts and the tune.

Again, if you're just looking for a tune and tuner, we can definitely do that. And if you continue to upgrade parts down the road, we can upgrade your tune as you go.

As you mentioned, not an apples to apples comparison.

Here's another thread started by a fellow forum member about ORA550:

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/ora550-package-and-tune-review.71723/

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to give us a call at 888-466-8991.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ORA package is some hard parts they picked out to combine w/ a Gearhead tune. They are surely getting a discount on the gearhead tune + SCT tuner, & I'm guessing that their price for tune & tuner alone would be fairly close to what Gearhead would offer direct.

But if you're looking to compare an MPT tune to ORA550 - its not apples to apples. A gearhead tune to an MPT tune generally speaking the consensus is the GH tune will be "safer" more conservative & ultimately produce a bit less power, but w/ much improved shifting characteristics - probably better for a DD type truck or for someone who's not looking to squeeze every last ounce of potential out of their truck. The MPT 93PRX tune seems to be the consensus "most power" & most extreme tune - but may be a little too rough for a DD or for someone who doesn't rank power/performance as their first priority.

Regardless both GH & MPT do tune the tranny along w/ engine, so that's a plus - I wouldn't even bother w/ a tune that doesn't adjust tranny (COBB) - other consensus is that while for simply producing a peak power # on a dyno an upgraded intercooler doesn't seem necessary, however to produce good power CONSISTENTLY w/o falling on its face during hot weather or repeated hard WOT driving conditions an upgraded heavier duty aftermarket intercooler makes that happen. In fact, a CVF intercooler is on my "must do mods" & I'd put it on a stock tuned truck too - just no reason to pull trigger on it yet for me since its late fall & I live in MA - nature will assist my crappy stock intercooler for the time being.