GEN 2 ORA550 Package and Tune Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacK88DO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I’ve been running this package for about 1000 miles and thought I would give a review as I haven’t really seen it discussed. For reference, I had been running a COBB stage 1 package with a Goose Tune for roughly 13,000 miles prior to the switch. My reason for the switch was I couldn’t hold out any longer for the trans tuning from COBB. Winfield puts out a hell of a product and I was trouble free for those 13,000 miles and I would recommend him for a protune hands down. But now on to the topic.

ORA550 Package: The collection of parts put into this package are spot on. The package normally comes with the COBB CAI, COBB FMIC, set of M-12405-35T Spark Plugs pregapped, and the SCT X4 with the custom Gearhead/Off-road Alliance performance and tow tunes. Since I already had the CAI the Off-road Alliance team let me swap in the AMS Boost Tubes instead. After talking with Kino, the tune is optimized for the Boost tubes which bring on peak power 1000 rpm earlier and increases the torque output. So a great swap in there. All of these parts are quality made and installed flawlessly. My only criticism is that I personally prefer the COBB Accessport over the SCT device. I like some of the accessport features and the general overall design better. That being said the SCT device is user friendly and functions well.

ORA550 Tune: First off, this tune feels very refined. Pulls hard all the way through the rev range without a hiccup. And the power is reproducible pull after pull. Really hard to believe how much heat soak I was getting with the stock intercooler on a stage 1 tune. I used to get some spikes in coolant temps and a noticeable loss of performance in the Texas heat but not anymore. Power is always there and the temps are rock steady. Truck also seems to idle better with the new plugs and tune. Power really does hit harder earlier in the rev range and I attribute that to the timing improvements and the AMS Boost Tubes. If you aren’t running the boost tubes you are missing out. Power and smoothness though are incredible and I do think my truck is running the best it ever has.

Trans Tuning: THIS TRUCK NEEDS TRANS TUNING. What a difference! So much smoother. Sport mode is a friggin blast now as I don’t feel like I’m getting kicked by a donkey every time it shifts! Baja mode is great. Even downshifts feel better. Regular mode has been vastly improved as well and is much improved around town. I’m not sure if it’s the engine tuning or the trans tuning but I’ve also had about a 1 mpg increase in economy as well and I have a very heavy foot around town. 0-60 for me went from a best of 4.8 on Goose stage 1 to 4.2 on this setup. So a huge difference there. I think I can improve this further with lighter wheels(Had no idea how heavy the OEM beadlocks were until after I already ticked that box on the order form)

Off-road: I’ve put about 40 miles on this setup in the dirt now. This was hard, Baja 4H/2H, jumps and pushing the truck farther then I ever have. I can officially say I have more motor then the stock suspension will keep up with off-road now. The tune RIPS! But again it was just so smooth in how it did it. Really hats off to the Gearhead team.

Conclusion: This is a great package at a good price that should be at the top of everyone’s consideration that’s going tuned. The off-road alliance guys are great to work with and they test all their products before selling them so they know what they are doing and really can help guide your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul110

Reaction score
This is in my todo list. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
+1
BB.jpg

Dhowell

Reaction score
So, I’ve been running this package for about 1000 miles and thought I would give a review as I haven’t really seen it discussed. For reference, I had been running a COBB stage 1 package with a Goose Tune for roughly 13,000 miles prior to the switch. My reason for the switch was I couldn’t hold out any longer for the trans tuning from COBB. Winfield puts out a hell of a product and I was trouble free for those 13,000 miles and I would recommend him for a protune hands down. But now on to the topic.

ORA550 Package: The collection of parts put into this package are spot on. The package normally comes with the COBB CAI, COBB FMIC, set of M-12405-35T Spark Plugs pregapped, and the SCT X4 with the custom Gearhead/Off-road Alliance performance and tow tunes. Since I already had the CAI the Off-road Alliance team let me swap in the AMS Boost Tubes instead. After talking with Kino, the tune is optimized for the Boost tubes which bring on peak power 1000 rpm earlier and increases the torque output. So a great swap in there. All of these parts are quality made and installed flawlessly. My only criticism is that I personally prefer the COBB Accessport over the SCT device. I like some of the accessport features and the general overall design better. That being said the SCT device is user friendly and functions well.

ORA550 Tune: First off, this tune feels very refined. Pulls hard all the way through the rev range without a hiccup. And the power is reproducible pull after pull. Really hard to believe how much heat soak I was getting with the stock intercooler on a stage 1 tune. I used to get some spikes in coolant temps and a noticeable loss of performance in the Texas heat but not anymore. Power is always there and the temps are rock steady. Truck also seems to idle better with the new plugs and tune. Power really does hit harder earlier in the rev range and I attribute that to the timing improvements and the AMS Boost Tubes. If you aren’t running the boost tubes you are missing out. Power and smoothness though are incredible and I do think my truck is running the best it ever has.

Trans Tuning: THIS TRUCK NEEDS TRANS TUNING. What a difference! So much smoother. Sport mode is a friggin blast now as I don’t feel like I’m getting kicked by a donkey every time it shifts! Baja mode is great. Even downshifts feel better. Regular mode has been vastly improved as well and is much improved around town. I’m not sure if it’s the engine tuning or the trans tuning but I’ve also had about a 1 mpg increase in economy as well and I have a very heavy foot around town. 0-60 for me went from a best of 4.8 on Goose stage 1 to 4.2 on this setup. So a huge difference there. I think I can improve this further with lighter wheels(Had no idea how heavy the OEM beadlocks were until after I already ticked that box on the order form)

Off-road: I’ve put about 40 miles on this setup in the dirt now. This was hard, Baja 4H/2H, jumps and pushing the truck farther then I ever have. I can officially say I have more motor then the stock suspension will keep up with off-road now. The tune RIPS! But again it was just so smooth in how it did it. Really hats off to the Gearhead team.

Conclusion: This is a great package at a good price that should be at the top of everyone’s consideration that’s going tuned. The off-road alliance guys are great to work with and they test all their products before selling them so they know what they are doing and really can help guide your build.

Thanks for the awesome review! Can you share how much the tune was and what the "all-in" cost was?

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have to try this out. I have the MPT and still cant use sport mode or it will cause misfires but runs great in normal mode. Can they just do the plugs and tune?

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing as I've been interested in how this tune handles and it sounds like a really great tune.

OP
OP
M

MacK88DO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome review! Can you share how much the tune was and what the "all-in" cost was?
So the package cost was 2549 shipped. I think if you priced out the parts individually it makes the SCT tuning device and tubes about 750ish. I think that’s a fair price as you get the performance tune, tow tune, and the trans tuning. Again, the Off-road Alliance guys were great to deal with and let me swap the AMS boost tubes for the CAI.

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can they tune if I have an N Gauge from my MPT tune? Already have the ADD IC to fit my winch and bumper.

OP
OP
M

MacK88DO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can they tune if I have an N Gauge from my MPT tune? Already have the ADD IC to fit my winch and bumper.
If I’m not mistaken I think they can. Just message and ask. I know they can’t use the Accessport yet as there is no way to load the trans tuning with that device.