Corsa with MBRP X or Trombone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAS RPTR

Reaction score
I installed the Corsa Sport muffler section on my 18 and I absolutely love the sound. I’m not trying to get a V8 sound out of it. I get that from my obnoxiously loud C7. What I’m trying to get is the smoothest mildly loud tone possible out of the Raptor. Need a little more loud down low before the Corsa opens up. From the videos I’ve seen, the Corsa with the trombone seems too loud. The MBRP X pipe has a very attractive price point but I can’t find any video of the two together. I just know it was used in the function factory exhaust which is hands down the best sounding out there. Any opinions or experiences? Pic for attention

Attachments

• IMG_6798.jpeg
    IMG_6798.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 19

cptnslo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Corsa Sport muffler section on my 18 and I absolutely love the sound. I’m not trying to get a V8 sound out of it. I get that from my obnoxiously loud C7. What I’m trying to get is the smoothest mildly loud tone possible out of the Raptor. Need a little more loud down low before the Corsa opens up. From the videos I’ve seen, the Corsa with the trombone seems too loud. The MBRP X pipe has a very attractive price point but I can’t find any video of the two together. I just know it was used in the function factory exhaust which is hands down the best sounding out there. Any opinions or experiences? Pic for attention
Can the function factory kit even be purchased anymore?

cptnslo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just confused because in this video isn’t the exhaust kit and the downpipes from aFe the same thing? Essentially stating they have 2 sets of downpipes installed. If you go to their website it shows the FFS exhaust kit as the dpsIMG_7831.png

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you don't have aftermarket downpipes, Corsa with the SPD trombone may be tolerable from a loudness perspective. Anything that removes the factory resonator will take the volume level up significantly. Unclear to me if there is much difference (in terms of loudness) in an X-pipe that removes the resonator or a trombone loop with an H-pipe that removes the resonator.

That said, the trombone loop will meaningfully improve the tone, particularly at high RPM. I doubt you will get the same grin factor from an X-pipe.

It is a bummer that the AFE loop downpipe got discontinued. With the loop in the downpipe, you have sufficient real estate ahead of the muffler to run either the stock resonator or add in Vibrant resonators. That would probably be the optimal answer from both a loudness and tone perspective... Maybe someone will come out with tailpipes with resonators like the R has??? I would much prefer that over spending more $$$ to have my own fabricated.

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put a magnaflow on my trombone and high flow downpipes and full race manifolds and i feel it sounds the best out of all my combos.

I found the corsa to make good sound has several h pipes through it's system which makes the rumble like a v8. The trombone also has an h setup.

When i put the magnaflow it smooths it out more since it has an internal x pipe. Up to 3k rpm it sounds closer to stock just a tad louder but after that high rpm it starts to roar as the trombone and downpipes make a ton of noise. With the corsa system it was just loud throughout the power band and especially screamed at high rpms