Messiest oil change yet!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If definitely is a higher strength material and the valve is a silicone anti drain back valve. I haven't compared it physically but it works great. Similar to the valve on my GTI oil filter.

O.K., it's what I thought. It's the same anti drain valve that's in most filters now days. The best brands use silicon. I wouldn't count on oil not coming out when unscrewing it though...lol

robbcwz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using the Ford performance oil filter will eliminate the mess from the filter.

No it won't. You have several large holes from the filter (valve is only on the center inlet at the filter) and most of the oil is dripping from the engine block and not the filter.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really shouldn't be that bad though. Are you taking the filter off before the drain plug?

xgardx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez Louise changing the oil in this truck is a mess maker. There has to be an easier way...

I noticed the factory oil filter was larger than the FL-500S...
View attachment 89483

View attachment 89484

At any rate, I'll be laying down more oil absorbent mats prior to the next oil change. I'll also be drilling a weephole in the filter prior to ******** off jk).

ahhhh, what the deuce!!! the ordered 3 of the FL500S filters from Amazon the other day, that was the part number i kept seeing everywhere I checked... from ford's websites to multiple auto parts sites, what part number is the larger/ factory filter??? is the FL500S going to work properly or be to low of a capacity?

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahhhh, what the deuce!!! the ordered 3 of the FL500S filters from Amazon the other day, that was the part number i kept seeing everywhere I checked... from ford's websites to multiple auto parts sites, what part number is the larger/ factory filter??? is the FL500S going to work properly or be to low of a capacity?

FL500S is what I put on mine. It's definitely smaller than the original factory filter, but it fits and seals just fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it be the same size as was the original filter, but there are no problems with it.

One trick I will note, re: Raptor oil change is that because of the angle of the filter as installed, it's impossible to pre-fill it to any significant degree... so once the new filter is installed and the fresh oil is in place, hold the throttle on the floor and press the start button. This will cause the motor to spin over but not fire. You press the start button again to get it to stop turning over. I did this three times for 3-5 seconds each in order to get the new oil pumped into the filter and oil galleries before I started it for real.

OP
OP
D

DrumReaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FL500S is what I put on mine. It's definitely smaller than the original factory filter, but it fits and seals just fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it be the same size as was the original filter, but there are no problems with it.

One trick I will note, re: Raptor oil change is that because of the angle of the filter as installed, it's impossible to pre-fill it to any significant degree... so once the new filter is installed and the fresh oil is in place, hold the throttle on the floor and press the start button. This will cause the motor to spin over but not fire. You press the start button again to get it to stop turning over. I did this three times for 3-5 seconds each in order to get the new oil pumped into the filter and oil galleries before I started it for real.

Thanks. I, too, was concerned with this issue and now I have a solution. Thanks bro.

17lbraptor

Reaction score
One thing I did for my first change that worked well was held a 5 gallon bucket up with one hand to the drain plug. Than with the other hand removed the drain plug and no real mess. Than when removing the oil filter I put the same bucket under the guided plastic drain where the oil filter oil drains.