GEN 2 Gen2 gearbox oil change interval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I browsed discussions on the forum, but I did not find the information about what I want to know. So, using exclusively the specific oil and filter, why is it recommended to replace it at 150,000 miles as recommended by the manufacturer? Considering that this car is designed for rough driving! If I follow the manufacturer's recommendations, am I at risk of prematurely wearing out the gearbox? An opinion from FordTechOne would be interesting.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In principle, the manufacturer could recommend changing the oil long before the risk limit, but 150,000 miles seems like a limit that scares any user... it would be interesting to have an explanation on everyone's understanding why such a long change interval was reached ... maybe it is due to the physical-chemical performance of the oil or other factors?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
150k is best case scenario.

There is a constant battle with "cost of ownership " and maintenance.

I am a huge Ford fan boy, but I also understand business/politics.

The manufacturer has no vested interest in your vehicle lasting much past 150k miles.

Every business MUST answer to 3 entities
1-the government (nothing happens without their approval)
2- the stock holders
3- the customer

How often do you think you come first??

Personally I try and not go over 30k on transmission fluid change.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The manufacturer has no vested interest in your vehicle lasting much past 150k miles.

2- the stock holders
3- the customer

Well, this is a theory or one of the conspiracy theories... but wouldn't you like to understand the real engineering theory behind this decision to change the gearbox oil at 150K miles?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, this is a theory or one of the conspiracy theories... but wouldn't you like to understand the real engineering theory behind this decision to change the gearbox oil at 150K miles?
He’s correct, there are “cost of ownership” metrics figured in by every vehicle manufacturer. 150k is the maximum interval under ideal conditions. If you run the truck hard, use it off road, tow or haul, or do mainly city driving you’re going to want to change it sooner.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well that is ...good news.

I will start looking at getting the truck in the shop for tranny fluid swap. Should I also do the diffs? 138k now.. got a long road trip coming up.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2- the stock holders
3- the customer

yup i do 20k on these guys, no issue. Dad does the same with his jeep and hes at 100k no problemo

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Well that is ...good news.

I will start looking at getting the truck in the shop for tranny fluid swap. Should I also do the diffs? 138k now.. got a long road trip coming up.

Yes. Diff, transmission and t-case. Coolant and brake fluid if it has been a minute also.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s correct, there are “cost of ownership” metrics figured in by every vehicle manufacturer. 150k is the maximum interval under ideal conditions. If you run the truck hard, use it off road, tow or haul, or do mainly city driving you’re going to want to change it sooner.
And yet ... this car is built for use in heavy operating conditions, the designers should have indicated the oil change in a short period of use, maybe 60-80K miles maximum, the margin that would be good for both extremes ( light or heavy use), without risking premature wear of the gearbox.
My question at the beginning of the post was about "why did they set the limit so high, i.e. 150K miles" considering a car made for rallying? What ideal conditions exist in a rally race? That the car is built just for this kind of thing.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2- the stock holders
3- the customer

Considering what you say, it is very sad. Does this mean that I, the user of the car, should not trust the advice of the Ford manufacturer? Doesn't he want to enjoy the longevity of an F150 that runs without gearbox repairs for over 1,000,000 miles?