GEN 2 Gen2 gearbox oil change interval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only way to be 100% sure how long any of the fluids can go for a particular vehicle and scenario is oil analysis.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only way to be 100% sure how long any of the fluids can go for a particular vehicle and scenario is oil analysis.
I think this option is the most suitable to find out the degree of wear of the oil and how often to change it. It would be interesting if someone on this forum analyzed the oil before changing it. If more laboratory analyzes were posted, it would be a guideline for everyone.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure fluids are better than they were 30 years ago. But power output of engines and also towing capacity have risen as well. And as you have stated the intended use of a Raptor is not easy on things. Why not over maintain some what.

This is a Tranmission Temp chart, it is a few years old but still applies. Heat breaks the fluid down faster than anything.

View attachment 397420
Good this information.
In this case, an enlarged cooler and a gearbox housing would be needed for a larger volume of oil.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most popular testing labs likely already have tested samples on file of unused oil for the commonly used OEM fluids especially since F150s are popular fleet vehicles.

Even basic visual inspection can be useful as most fluids predictably darken based on age and condition.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure fluids are better than they were 30 years ago. But power output of engines and also towing capacity have risen as well. And as you have stated the intended use of a Raptor is not easy on things. Why not over maintain some what.

This is a Tranmission Temp chart, it is a few years old but still applies. Heat breaks the fluid down faster than anything.

View attachment 397420
Yup, my trans fluid on my lightning usually stays around 150, but if i sit for a while in traffic it can hit 200
Afterwards itll be like 165-170, fluid will look ok, but it never cools the same. Now this is mercon V so dunno if the LV/ULV stuff is better since

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand anything anymore...the car manufacturer recommends changing the oil at 150K miles, the Dexron-ULV oil manufacturer also at 150K miles.
Car owners recommend 30...50K miles from their own experience. But I would really like to know the theory of the creators of lubricants/car ... or maybe I will never be able to find out. Anyway, the wisest way to go is prevention before discovering the disaster.

Right.

If we change our damn oil in the engine every 5k... why would we not change the fluid in the transmission or diff every 30/50k as it does the same thing as engine oil... LUBRICATE.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How difficult is doing the trans in your driveway?
may be a little tricky being underneath it, but doesnt seem impossible. Lucky for us it seems we just need to remove only the heatshield and none of the other extra steps he lists (he goes through all of them)

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How difficult is doing the trans in your driveway?
Hey, it's not at all difficult to change the oil in your own garage, but the big curiosity is ... why the Ford Performance division put the limit at 150K miles knowing that the F-150 Raptor is a rally car. Not all raptor owners know the technical subtleties, and it could create confusion that could lead to the destruction of the gearbox. Most probably changing the oil at 150K can be considered a mistake in the technical manual. Maybe he wanted to write 50K and not 150K?!