Messiest oil change yet!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrumReaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez Louise changing the oil in this truck is a mess maker. There has to be an easier way...

I noticed the factory oil filter was larger than the FL-500S...
IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

At any rate, I'll be laying down more oil absorbent mats prior to the next oil change. I'll also be drilling a weephole in the filter prior to ******** off jk).

sp2pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assumed you just changed it the standard way via draining from the drain plug?
I just bought a Mityvac fluid evacuator. Have not used it yet though. Hoping that will keep the mess down some.

Does the oil just flow out of the filter making a huge mess too?

OP
OP
D

DrumReaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It flows out behind where you think it will come out and makes a mess.

And oil coming from the drain plug comes out easy all kinds of ways.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using the Ford performance oil filter will eliminate the mess from the filter.

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filter has a valve in it so the oil won't pour out when you loosen it.

Is this different than any of the other 'anti-drain back valves' on the vast majority of oil filters? I believe the 'race' series are stronger due to trash being thrown up from the track etc. Interesting.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this different than any of the other 'anti-drain back valves' on the vast majority of oil filters? I believe the 'race' series are stronger due to trash being thrown up from the track etc. Interesting.

If definitely is a higher strength material and the valve is a silicone anti drain back valve. I haven't compared it physically but it works great. Similar to the valve on my GTI oil filter.