GEN 2 Looking for opinions on airing down for the beach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An IR thermometer is like $12 too. I used mine to set my pressure on my outback with AT tires by checking center and shoulder temps after a highway drive. And to check my fish tank temperatures. And lots of things.

RaptorRnr

Reaction score
We did Oceano Beach recently (Pismo in CA) and got lazy not airing down. We quickly got stuck in the sand. Then I aired down to 24-25 at each tire and easily drove around the rest of the way and then pulled two stuck vehicles out of the sand. You'll definitely want to air down. I don't know that I would want to leave it aired down for an extended period of time. I'd suggest you invest in an air compressor to bring it up to at least 35 for around town driving. Personally very inexperienced myself. To contradict myself, the BFGs are designed to air down so they're probably fine.

Joey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live mostly in the OBX and I air down to 20psi. Not sure where you are driving on the beach but if it is at the ramp across from the fishing center you can use the free (donation) air there. Its not the straight line driving that kills your tires but turning, especially at slow speeds but tightly. The hassle is deflating every time. Buy the JT Brooks tire deflator Pro set (be sure to get the Pro so you can set the psi and your done). This makes deflating super fast. You will be done while other people are still on tire #1. I also have my own air pump that attaches to the battery. Those that use a 12V socket are useless and too slow.

What’s the difference between the JB brooks Pro and Staun deflates, I see Staun mentioned quite frequently & have never seen or heard of JT Brooks before

Staun​

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My opinion is save your money. Just get open deflaters. What I do is put one on each tire and then hook up my air guage (which also deflates) to the first one. If you are doing equal pressure in all tires, when the first one is down to the pressure you want, go to the second and you will find it is within one or two psi of the pressure you want. Then continue around. It takes just a little more time than airing down one tire.

I had the Staun units, and they would constantly go out of settings. More of a pain, and they are expensive.

KBernard

Reaction score
I live in the OBX and I'm on the beach at least 2 times a week. Depends on the ramp on the pressure. Ramp 4 across from the fishing station your fine at 25 psi and I drive back home 25 minute ride and 0 issues.(if its raining if not a air back up to 30 to get home and than top off to correct pressure) If you go out on ramp 2 the sand is alway tore up bad and 20 psi is where you need to be. With our trucks being wider than regular trucks, are truck tend to push the sand back in the tracks making for more laboring of your truck. So softer the sand the lower the pressure. Some ramps are so tore up that even at 20psi you need a little speed to get up them. Your not going to just creep up ramp 2 with 20psi much less 25psi. The deflators are a waste as I have Stans now and they are inconsitent. As well if you are going to ride back on the hwy you need to at least have your tires aired evenly. I wouldn't drive any speeds at 20 mph on the road but 25-28 and a 10 mile trip just creep if you feel you need to but I would recommend a air compressor as your tires will get a goofy wear pattern after a bit. Been there done that.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve driven in OBX exactly where you’re at in my old GMC on 33” nitto terra grapplers - that truck I felt a noticeable improvement airing down to like 25

the raptor I drove around @ 33-35psi & honestly was pretty much fine man

I did try airing it down to 22-26psi too but felt like it wasn’t super necessary

all that being said, why not just buy an air compressor from harbor freight or whatever & keep
In truck? That’ll come in handy filling up pool floats & footballs too lol!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@KBernard is spot on about ramp2, last year I drove it and it was like quicksand for about 100 yards out, then it was normal condition the rest of the beach. It was the only area I needed to pay any attention to, as it were. Was running 21-22 psi.

Incidentally, there was a car stuck at one of the ramps last year too. A front driver with a passed out driver. He didn’t make it more than a few feet into the sand ;-)

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@KBernard is spot on about ramp2, last year I drove it and it was like quicksand for about 100 yards out, then it was normal condition the rest of the beach. It was the only area I needed to pay any attention to, as it were. Was running 21-22 psi.

Incidentally, there was a car stuck at one of the ramps last year too. A front driver with a passed out driver. He didn’t make it more than a few feet into the sand ;-)
I think I posted about this when it happened & w/ a pic....but I pulled a Subaru crosstrek driver out of an imminent total loss situation as the tie was getting up past his rocker panels & coming in fast while he had all 4 tires @ least 6” in the sand lol

Ironwood

Reaction score
Leave it alone. These trucks laugh at sand. Ha Ha sand, take this! *Puts it in Baja mode and floors it.