Knocking Noise in 4 Wheel Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Now that its trashed, you can finally get some traction with Ford to get it fixed. I was thinking that you would have to tear it up for Ford to get their head out of their ass. Make sure that the give you a loaner as I bet it will be in the shop for awhile since they will standing around scratching their heads.

EDIT: Watched your video, not the best but get the idea. Yeah, that is messed up. I would be pissed how Ford has been treating you, just as you are.

Last edited by a moderator:

starkall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be furious if my brand new truck did that shit also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

srt10viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why bring it to an enthusiast forum? If I have a problem, I try and get it fixed, and if that doesn't work, I take recourse where it will have an effect. An enthusiast forum is exactly the wrong place for it to happen. The only positive I can see is that Crystal is in the loop. I have a feeling that she really can do more than you want to believe.

Just out of curiosity did you realize you were in a Problem with your raptor section of the forums. I wish there were never any problems, but if one does have a problem this IS the section to post something on.

Prime Target

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd be pissed too! Blowing it up probably a blessing in disguise though. Hopefully they'll figure out the root cause of the problem after observing and replacing all the damaged parts. You purchased one of the most expensive Ford products made. They should be treating you like gold. You're not rolling a damaged Focus into the service bay - it's a Rousch Raptor for Christ's sake. Good luck with getting it straightened out.

Rorywg

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with mine, posted elsewhere on tnis forum. It turned out to be the front differential, even though we found no signs of damage in the differential fluid, shavings etc. in the mean time, i trashed I don't know how many IWEs and axles- I thnk because the slipping/impact from the diff transmitted to the other, more fragile parts.

I live in Dubai, and Ford here were utterly useless- in fact, they were criminal. I found another shop who were also at a loss...But we finally replaced the front diff and the truck has been perect since.

Of course, yours may be different, but the noise you are getting is similar to the one I first got with mine. Good luck, PM me if you want any more details on what worked/didnt work.

Rory

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity did you realize you were in a Problem with your raptor section of the forums. I wish there were never any problems, but if one does have a problem this IS the section to post something on.

You weren't trying to solve the problem. You were trying to embarrass Ford into solving the problem. There is a difference.

srt10viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You weren't trying to solve the problem. You were trying to embarrass Ford into solving the problem. There is a difference.

Embarrassing ford with this problem is a no brainer. As you can see from other posts from ENTHUSIST of the forums, they have made suggestions. Ford is well aware of the problem BEFORE this post. SMH...

ditchpanther

Reaction score
I got stuck, high-centered in deep snow and had the knock and grinding sounds occur on my driver's side front wheel while tires were spinning in 4-high (not at a high-speed). I used 4-low for fear of further damage, and after a tractor pulled me out I tried shifting in and out of 4-high at varying speeds and didn't notice any more noise. Should I be worried that I damaged the IWE, or wait and see if something happens later on? I wonder if there is a TSB on this?

Also, when I was cleaning it I noticed that there were tire rub marks on both lower control arms from steering back and forth trying to find traction before I was high-centered. Is this normal?

Mine is a 2013 SCREW, all stock, no perch adjustment.

Here is a related TSB:

Service Bulletin No.: ASI-32235
Component(s): SUSPENSION NHTSA ID Number: 10053410All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin

Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s) FORD F-150 2011-2013
Details
0 Associated Documents
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
SUMMARY:
FORD: ON SOME TRUCKS, WHILE OPERATING IN 4X2 MODE, THERE WILL BE NOISE COMING FROM FRONT HUB INTEGRATED WHEEL END (IWE) AND WILL CEASE ONCE SHIFTED INTO 4X4MODE. MODELS 2011-2013 F-150. *PE

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults