Knocking Noise in 4 Wheel Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

locktech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had heavy rain today so I tried the 4x4 for the first time. I hear this loud knocking noise every few seconds. Sounds like it's coming from the rear. Anyone have this issue or know what it is. Truck is a 2014 Screw with 1500 miles on it.

Plan B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you accidentally lock the diff when you turned the 4x4 on?

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We had heavy rain today so I tried the 4x4 for the first time. I hear this loud knocking noise every few seconds. Sounds like it's coming from the rear. Anyone have this issue or know what it is. Truck is a 2014 Screw with 1500 miles on it.

Hi locktech,

I responded to your PM but wanted to reach out to you here, too. I'll be happy to loop in your regional customer service manger so they can help; just PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership so I can get the ball rolling. :)

Crystal

OP
OP
locktech

locktech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi locktech,

I responded to your PM but wanted to reach out to you here, too. I'll be happy to loop in your regional customer service manger so they can help; just PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership so I can get the ball rolling. :)

Crystal

Thanks Crystal. I just sent you back a PM. I appreciate the help!

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engaged 4WD and a knocking noise started from the rear of the truck?

First off, you would not be the first person to have the locker engaged and not know it. Check that first to be absolutely sure. Just push in on the knob and check the display to make sure.

Only time I have heard of something like this, it turned out to be a faulty transfer case.

You are at 1500 miles, so just go to your dealer and have them diagnose it.

If you wanted to diagnose it yourself, a good first step would be to check if both front and rear drive shafts are rotating in 4WD,

OP
OP
locktech

locktech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Differentials not locked. I'm pretty sure they won't stay locked over 25 MPH anyway. This is when I'm in 4x4 High. Thanks though!

srt10viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GOOD LUCK with this BS. I had my raptor in now TWICE and 30 days later "FORD" said that sound is normal. Crystal tried to help me also...NOTHING!!! I have a service rep from Ford who called me over a week ago and said I would hear back from her soon...NOTHING!!! This is NON-SENSE. EVERYONE I take out in my truck hears/feels this knocking/popping noise says I'm a fool for not lemon law this truck. I am going to wait until the end of the week and see if Ford will bring out a REAL engineer to go out in the truck WITH ME NOT the tech. If not I have the lemon law papers filled out and my contact at the better business bureau.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
GOOD LUCK with this BS. I had my raptor in now TWICE and 30 days later "FORD" said that sound is normal. Crystal tried to help me also...NOTHING!!! I have a service rep from Ford who called me over a week ago and said I would hear back from her soon...NOTHING!!! This is NON-SENSE. EVERYONE I take out in my truck hears/feels this knocking/popping noise says I'm a fool for not lemon law this truck. I am going to wait until the end of the week and see if Ford will bring out a REAL engineer to go out in the truck WITH ME NOT the tech. If not I have the lemon law papers filled out and my contact at the better business bureau.

Pardon me as I don't know your exact situation, but are you shifting into 4x4 on the fly or have you tried shifting at a dead stop and waiting 30-45 seconds to make sure the shift is complete?

Might help, might not.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

WTF dude. Chilly out. When are you using the 4 wheel drive? It's summer. Roads are clear.

Sounds like you stripped your IWE. It's an easy fix covered under warranty
But if you want to lemon your truck. Get the flick out.

Did you trade a dodge in on it?

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com