Keyfob Boosting - Thefts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
let me just say again - I’m saddened you had to go through this. Glad you got the truck back so quickly. Thanks for sharing this info, definitely a helpful tale.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
So, I just did a Forscan mod yesterday that may help this issue. It's called '' Secure Idle Enable''. '' If engine is running but fob is away from vehicle, vehicle cannot be put into any gear. ''
I think mine does this from factory. When my door is open with the keys in the door it will not go into gear and says no key detected. After this thread I’m definitely need to think about alternative protection (like the kill switch idea).

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, it’s not.

so they hacked in by boosting the --initialized-- fob signal. SO, the truck should start with the emergency fob reader from any --initialized-- fob, not a new, uninitialized fob. That is a galactically stupid oversight.

It's been a while since I looked at this but I thought the emergency fob reader required you to take out the key inside the fob, and that's what placed in the slot behind the cup holder? If not, then what's the point of the key inside the fob? Or are we saying that without the fuse in place, the truck can't tell whether a fob is initialized or not and will just open for any fob?

mrblonde

Reaction score
I won’t explain in detail
How it’s done For fear of some scum bag using my post but I can say it is Most definitely a oversight on Ford’s part. Install a kill switch for the fuel pump (kick plate 40 pin connector , yellow wire ) will take 15 mins and cost 40$ max and you will definitely have a little more piece of mind, and get a tracking device there’s many without any monthly service charges. 80k truck and I thought I was good by being vigilant and having ford pass and alarm. That’s a mistake
Do you have a link to the 40 pin instructions?

mp_tx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude I got my car back
Safe and sound today. From what I can tell they basically steal
The signal from the fob to get accès they then remove the kick panel and remove a fuse ( I won’t say which one cause it would only help them) removing that fuse stops the ford pass from transmitting. They then use a key in the cup holder hole to start the car and drive off.

they brought my car to a large hospital parking lot , 2 alert cops ran the plate and realized the car was indeed stolen.

i just got back installing a fuel pump hidden kill switch and a i also got a local tracking company to plant sensors all over the vehicle to help with recovery. Not fool proof but with how easy it is to Jack our cars , I am hoping they will pick someone elses

Police station exteriors have good cameras. Get the video and post it up. Curious how long it takes from start to drive off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I looked at this but I thought the emergency fob reader required you to take out the key inside the fob, and that's what placed in the slot behind the cup holder? If not, then what's the point of the key inside the fob? Or are we saying that without the fuse in place, the truck can't tell whether a fob is initialized or not and will just open for any fob?

Once the fuse is removed it makes no difference

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think mine does this from factory. When my door is open with the keys in the door it will not go into gear and says no key detected. After this thread I’m definitely need to think about alternative protection (like the kill switch idea).

this is no way protection as proven by the theft of my truck. Ford pass is utterly useless when they take the fuse out. Get a kill switch and a tracker...

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let me just say again - I’m saddened you had to go through this. Glad you got the truck back so quickly. Thanks for sharing this info, definitely a helpful tale.

I appreciate the kind word it was super stressful , I have 20k in add ons. This was my dream truck although the idea of having a new one wasn’t a bad one , I really still enjoy driving the one I have.

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the removing of the fuse to disable the ford pass tracking, or is the removal of the fuse required to utilize the FOB in cup holder hack? or both?