Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Keyfob Boosting - Thefts

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by Scott Holcomb, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Scott Holcomb

Scott Holcomb Member

I saw an article tonight which showed a video of a car thief stealing a Tesla from someone’s driveway. They used two people, one walked up close to the front door holding a wire up high. The second went to the car and unlocked and started it.

Apparently they are using the guy in the middle to pass the signal from the car to the keyfob inside. The keyfob responds and they pass the info to a similar keyfob near the car.

They get in and hit the start button and it does it again. The vehicle can then be driven off.

It will not be able to be started again without the keyfob but it’s already gone.

They are warning people from placing their keys near the front door or driveway where the receiver can boost the signal.

Has anyone looked into a faraday cage type bag to store their keys in when not in use?

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

That's one of the benefits of an 801A package, key required to start, no push button. :driver:

ericburney, donh, Jace21583 and 2 others like this.
  3. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

5.56 or .30 ammo cans work great.

Dirtypope, 500mag, pastorwug and 7 others like this.
  4. BangBang

BangBang Full Access Member

Any metal can works. Even wrapping it in tin foil.

5. Mike cip

Mike cip Member

Stick em in the microwave :specialed:

New Nick at JDM and LeboRaptor like this.
  6. realjones88

realjones88 Full Access Member

I've seen articles on BMWs and Teslas stolen this way, but not a Ford truck. Technology is similar so it should be possible one would think...if the keyfob can also be cloned to appear inside the vehicle once they gain entry (as they key must be inside to put the truck into gear).

Not sure how much of a risk this really is, but I do keep my keys away 15+ feet from the front door. A lot of these cars being stolen I bet the key is hanging on the wall right inside the door.

7. EricM

EricM FRF Addict

I got insurance. I'm not sticking my keys in a fucking ammo can every time I come in the house.

SS308, raisins, FN-2187 and 5 others like this.
  8. pigwet

pigwet Full Access Member

They fixed this problem with a very simple solution, you can setup the car to have require a pin to be typed in prior to driving.

9. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

There's another way they can do it. When you leave your vehicle and lock it using the button on the key fob, you are broadcasting that signal. Anyone in the vicinity with the will and the equipment can record that signal, send it to your vehicle after you've left it, and steal whatever is in it. If the vehicle has push-button start, it'll be gone. Lock your vehicle with the lock button in the vehicle. Make it your habit.

bruce7105 and SilverBolt like this.
  10. Jace21583

Jace21583 Full Access Member

Just one more reason I love my 801 lol