JL 8W3v2 or 10W0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
It's time to do some audio upgrades on the truck, the lack of bass is killing me. I have a dilema though, trying to do this without spending too much cash but may end up having to.

I have a pair of 8W3v2's and one 10W3v2 from my old Firehawk. I'd love to use one of them to save some money... but may not be best move and need some opinions...

After some reading, 10w3's are out of the question. After looking on SCS website, looks like I can actually get one of their boxes with an 8" cutout and it'll actually fit a 8W3v2 I already have. I'd much rather use a speaker I already have, but wonder if I'll be disappointed and wished I'd gone 10" instead.

On a side note, the MTX box appears like it'll JUST fit the 10w3... Anyone tried it yet?

Thanks for any input!

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
That's my thought too, but have some 8w3's laying around that would fit makes me second guess myself and save some cash as well...

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its a hard call man. I run 2 10's and I wouldn't mine 2 -8's but I don't really listen to rap. Mostly rock and some country.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
This just dawned on me and don't see a reason it wouldn't work....

Buy the SCS box with the 8" cutout... I can install the 8w3v2 and if I'm not happy, I can easily just buy a 10w0 and enlarge the hole to fit it. I think this solved my problem and can test the 8" out before buying a 10"!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
enlarging the hole is not the best option. the subwoofer needs a certain amount of airspace to function properly. if the airspace is not right, the speaker wont sound good. you can fit a 10w3 in a crewcab, but not the scab. if you are planning to keep the 2/3 side open, then an 8 will probably be your best bet. the 10w0 or w1 will may fit, but again, lack of airspace will be your downfall. unless the box fits perfectly and molds under the seat to maximize airspace. that is the only way to make sure you have enough room.

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
enlarging the hole is not the best option. the subwoofer needs a certain amount of airspace to function properly. if the airspace is not right, the speaker wont sound good. you can fit a 10w3 in a crewcab, but not the scab. if you are planning to keep the 2/3 side open, then an 8 will probably be your best bet. the 10w0 or w1 will may fit, but again, lack of airspace will be your downfall. unless the box fits perfectly and molds under the seat to maximize airspace. that is the only way to make sure you have enough room.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to verify, but from looking on their website, it seems that the only difference between the 10" opening a 8" opening is actually the physical size of the opening itself. Air space should suffice for a 10W0 or 10W1 as well, at that point it'd be identical to Birdman's setup if I chose not to an 8"