Idler pulley squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my 04 Cobra I replaced my stock horribly made idlers with Metco. Maybe there is an aftermarket pully for us, not sure. But hopefully it's something simpler.
Same. Those didn't have bearing problems though- it was the metal pulley itself failing from high belt loads. The pulley would chunk out or mushroom. The bearings were fine. Kept all of them from my stock pulleys since they were good low mile bearings and can be swapped into other cars with loud idlers down the line.

Metco's current stuff has 2 bearings in it.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same. Those didn't have bearing problems though- it was the metal pulley itself failing from high belt loads. The pulley would chunk out or mushroom. The bearings were fine. Kept all of them from my stock pulleys since they were good low mile bearings and can be swapped into other cars with loud idlers down the line.

Metco's current stuff has 2 bearings in it.
Third gear hit, 500 at the wheel at the time. I still had the ported eaton. Was stationed in Ingleside, Tx at the time and left the car stranded on the road for a few hours till I could get another one. Killed the belt obviously and nicked my 4lb lower. Was on 17lbs of boost at the time. Went KB afterwards. The bearings in the Metco are better though and double I believe. Would stop flex better.

307b.jpg

c17d.jpg

thomasfoxworthy

Reaction score
i just started getting this noise on my '21 recently. cold/wet startup usually, but the noise occurred this morning when i first started the truck and it did not rain overnight. so going to bring it in to the dealership to get it looked at.

OP
OP
K

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a couple spare pulleys and I just received a notification the part number changed. Hopefully that’s acknowledgment of a problem and a fix.

OP
OP
K

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: The new pulleys just arrived directly from Ford Parts in Memphis Tennessee. The one I ordered previously as a spare seems to have slightly more play in the bearing. It spins easier and moves in and out. The new ones are definitely tighter. I’ll have this swapped out with a newer one at some point and see if that does it.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can just replace the bearings too. The bearing number is on the bearing, NAPA sells them all. They pop right out using a socket to drive the bearing out. You could swap the bearing on the side of the road with even just a screwdriver and a rock, assuming you could get the pulley on and off the truck to work on it.

darinz

Reaction score
You can just replace the bearings too. The bearing number is on the bearing, NAPA sells them all. They pop right out using a socket to drive the bearing out. You could swap the bearing on the side of the road with even just a screwdriver and a rock, assuming you could get the pulley on and off the truck to work on it.
Don't suppose you have the bearing numbers? Wouldn't mind getting some so can replace them without having to go to the store after pulling it apart.