Pulley/belt squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 23R has 450 miles and I’ve started to notice a bit of a squeak on cold start. Sounds like a belt/pulley squeak. I can’t tell exactly from where but sounds like it’s somewhat close to the battery.

Anyone have this issue?

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if you can get close enough to determine if its a tensioner or idler pulley. If its an idler, won't lie, easier to replace it yourself than go through the cycle with a dealer. They can randomly have a faulty bearing.

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
See if you can get close enough to determine if its a tensioner or idler pulley. If its an idler, won't lie, easier to replace it yourself than go through the cycle with a dealer. They can randomly have a faulty bearing.
That’s kinda what I suspect. I figured it probably isn’t the belt itself this early. I need to wait until it’s cold so I can start it with the hood open and really locate where it’s coming from.

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you know where I can find a diagram of the accessory layout for the R? I took a quick peek and there’s a lot of pulleys under there haha. How quick is the swap typically on the idler?

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know where I can find a diagram of the accessory layout for the R? I took a quick peek and there’s a lot of pulleys under there haha. How quick is the swap typically on the idler?
Back of your manual should show it. It will be a layout showing you the routing of your belts.

Swapping an idler is quick. You'll need a crowbar to de-tension the tensioner and slip the belt off. Then its a matter of taking the old one off and swapping the new one on, then putting the belt back on and then carefully relaxing the tensioner. ~10 minutes if you have all the parts and the idler is accessible.

Last edited:

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d rather die.

Seriously, for under an hour and $50 if that’s what it is I’d rather just do it myself.
I get that, taking a truck to the dealer for warranty work requires kinda a lot of time and work. Its why i stopped buying extended warranties, they are only good for catastrophic engine or transmission failure assuming you have zero mods.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahhh crap.. this is what I've noticed on mine too.. less than 250 miles and I got that squeak/squeal too.. thought I had ran the pedal to far down too soon.. lol.. was like... as s*&*! did break something? nahh...

is that really the only remedy? swap the idler ? is it not a lube thing in the bearings? if it goes away when warmed up..

although.. think I still hear it on a 'warm' startup too.. after sitting for less than 30-40 mins though.. I too would rather avoid bringing to dealer for this low a mileage.. thing.. arrgggg...