Idler pulley squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m on my 3rd idler pulley since new, I keep having the same reoccurring issue. When it rains out and the truck sits outside or if I wash the truck, I get a squeaking noise from the idler pulley on start up. The tech that always works on my truck said the bearing on the original was pretty shot, he could see it move and instantly started squeaking when he sprayed water on it.

Anyone else having this issue?

My truck is a 2021 37PP about 27,000 miles.

64.jpeg

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Something else in the loop out of alignment? It fit snug when installed and level? 3rd one is a bit of a coincidence not to think something else is wearing it out prematurely.

stoppard stop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m on my 3rd idler pulley since new, I keep having the same reoccurring issue. When it rains out and the truck sits outside or if I wash the truck, I get a squeaking noise from the idler pulley on start up. The tech that always works on my truck said the bearing on the original was pretty shot, he could see it move and instantly started squeaking when he sprayed water on it.

Anyone else having this issue?

My truck is a 2021 37PP about 27,000 miles.

View attachment 415681
Yes my 2021 800a had this problem. I only used a touchless car wash and sometimes after coming out of the wash the belt would squeal like hell for a minute then stop. But then after that, every rainy cold start it would do it too. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the belt.
Repair lasted and i had no problems for about a year. Then it started doing it again. I took video and showed them and they replaced the belt a second time.

Since then though, i traded it in for a 2023 raptor. I only have 1k miles on it, but im going to the same car wash. Time will tell, but if it starts squealing im thinking its the soap or something that my carwash uses.

OP
OP
K

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes my 2021 800a had this problem. I only used a touchless car wash and sometimes after coming out of the wash the belt would squeal like hell for a minute then stop. But then after that, every rainy cold start it would do it too. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the belt.
Repair lasted and i had no problems for about a year. Then it started doing it again. I took video and showed them and they replaced the belt a second time.

Since then though, i traded it in for a 2023 raptor. I only have 1k miles on it, but im going to the same car wash. Time will tell, but if it starts squealing im thinking its the soap or something that my carwash uses.

I was thinking it might be something out of alignment but who knows. I think I’ll have them replace the belt the next time too. It’s literally a $30 part that makes it sound like a 2003 Maxima with 247,000 miles on it lol

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t help much with the pulley but would love to know what wheels you have in that beast? They look great.

OP
OP
K

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think @Shane361 is on it. Replace the pulley and maybe the pulley arm with quality aftermarket parts.

I may have to look into that as well. I think the bearing is garbage and in a short period of time creates an excessive tolerance. Or it’s not sealed properly and the slightest moisture creates hell.