I was "that guy" today driving "too fast" in the snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoeacr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you live in an area where it’s allowed I’d even consider having them studded....I had studs in em @ first (& had studded blizzaks on previous GM trucks too) & I’ll tell ya man the raptor pretty much defies logic/physics running them studded lol!

I only took em out b/c I was chewing up my concrete driveway too much....can avoid it by not turning the wheels much when stopped or moving slow, but it was a pita to be mindful of.

if I had a cheap asphalt or gravel driveway for sure would have left them studded

they’re def no aggressive AT....but I actually think they look decent on the Raptor- sporty look to the tread in a way

bought the wheels off a FRF member while on a road trip for work, ‘18 base wheels I think- reasonably priced for sure $400 range I think

and YES if you stomp on the brakes on ice/black ice/hard pack snow w/ these tires you’ll stop, in a straight line, & probably 1/4 the distance you’d stop w/o em esp when studded

View attachment 162264

View attachment 162265

View attachment 162266

What size are those? Been looking for something narrow that doesn't look too small.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I had to go to a lunch meeting and was late. roads were still packed snow covered, but I could go the speed limit.

Most of the people were still not on the road, but every now and then I came across people in their camrey or accords who didnt know how to drive and were doing 15-25 when i wanted to go 45. 2 lane state higway.

I got flipped off several times when they finally pulled to the side so i could pass.

What is a guy to do. I have good tires, a great truck and I actually know how to drive in the snow. Should I just resign myself to drive as slow as the others around me?

Even in my Raptor, I will be that guy that drives 15-20 in the snow. I live in AZ so that should tell you how much I drive in the snow. I'm 0 for 5 in driving in the snow.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hazards and moving slowly in the rain is very common down here. Commonly stupid at that.

It’s been dry down on the south end for weeks. We had a day or two or horrendous downpours and think many had to relearn how to drive in the rain.

Every single time it rains

Again, that is what makes the Raptor special. It is so balanced and composed. It warns the driver well ahead of time when it is coming un glued from the road, and when it does....it is no violent whip. It is very controllable to an individual with the correct skills.

Now, be a noob who throws on the brakes at the 1st sign of trouble....yeah...you are going to spin and hit a tree or worse. But controll the throttle and steering inputs and you can drive right out of it.

Exactly. I'm not hooning it out there in rain or snow, but my first car was a 1968 Mustang that I drove through some hellacious thunderstorms so I'm pretty familiar with having no traction. The experience I gained with that car, and then the 1998 and 2005 Mustangs that followed (all before Ford finally decided to put in independent rear suspension) turned me into a pretty good driver in hazardous conditions.

This assessment is spot on. The Raptor doesn't really snap on you. I mean, I'm sure you can make it happen, but it's way more forgiving than most of the vehicles I've owned. It's easy to control. And if you use the weather modes, it's even better. When I first got it, I used the wet mode in the rain and I tried out 4A for that too, but it's so composed that I use it in normal 2A in the rain, and it'd probably be fine in sport too.

Obviously don't go crazy, but I don't think passing a plow in a snow-covered lane would be a big deal. I suppose you could lose it in the transition if you went nuts, but I don't think these guys were drifting out into the other lane and gunning it past the plow, but maybe that's me.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I learned to drive in Chicago snow at 16 in a 80 pinto with bald tires rusted floor boards. Shoveled enough snow and cut enough grass before moved to AZ 32 years ago. Now I have neither. At least when it's 120 here you don't have to shovel sunshine.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I learned to drive in Chicago snow at 16 in a 80 pinto with bald tires rusted floor boards. Shoveled enough snow and cut enough grass before moved to AZ 32 years ago. Now I have neither. At least when it's 120 here you don't have to shovel sunshine.

Smart guy moving here to AZ. Screw shoveling snow....

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been "that guy" from time to time, unfortunately. This truck has a tendency to inspire confidence. Living in the u.p. of Michigan all my life, driving in poor weather conditions is a given and this truck shines when the weather gets nasty. Over confident? Maybe at times. Passing a state trooper on snow covered and slippery roads was probably one of those times. But he was going below the poster speed limit and he never pulled me over. I suppose if i ended up in the ditch afterwards I would expect a ticket for too fast for conditions, lol. Fact is, everyone has a different comfort level when driving in poor weather conditions.