I think my power steering just took a crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What they end up sayin Raptorsteve?

Well here's what the service notes say...

A CUSTOMER REPORTS WHINE NOISE FROM POWER STEERING SYSTEM. WORSE WHEN ACCEL WHILE TURNING.

CAUSE: 3595 CHECK POWER-STEERING SYSTEM-SOUNDS NORMAL & NO LEAKS. TEST SOUNDS & WORKS NORMAL AT THIS TIME. RAN OASIS-NO TEST SSM, TSBS OR RECALL AT

Anyone know what OASIS is? SSM, TSBS?

The service manager told me that his tech drove it and didn't hear anything unusual. I'm finding that I hear the whine mostly at night after leaving work. I'm not sure what conclusions I can draw from that though.

AdkRaptor150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video it ... mine is always there on start up so they should be able to hear it when I bring it in. If these tards dont do anything bout it I'm thinking that rpg aftermarket reservoir. The last thing I want is the pump failing offroading this winter 20 miles out from civilization.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Well here's what the service notes say...

A CUSTOMER REPORTS WHINE NOISE FROM POWER STEERING SYSTEM. WORSE WHEN ACCEL WHILE TURNING.

CAUSE: 3595 CHECK POWER-STEERING SYSTEM-SOUNDS NORMAL & NO LEAKS. TEST SOUNDS & WORKS NORMAL AT THIS TIME. RAN OASIS-NO TEST SSM, TSBS OR RECALL AT

Anyone know what OASIS is? SSM, TSBS?

The service manager told me that his tech drove it and didn't hear anything unusual. I'm finding that I hear the whine mostly at night after leaving work. I'm not sure what conclusions I can draw from that though.

Online Automotive Service Information System

Special Service Message

Technical Service Bulletin

jaylord

Reaction score
My pump stopped working completely a couple days ago. It's hell to steer in low speeds or dry steering. I removed the small cover on the skid plate where you access the oil filter and where I assume the steering pump is located. There is power steering fluid stained into the snow that has also accumilated there. I have 8000km and I haven't done any major offloading. Just plowing through snow drifts. I have an appointment this Thursday at ford to see what the problem is. The fluid in the reservoir is still above minimum. Mines a 2012 screw. I hope my bakflip tonneau cover doesn't void my warranty! Its the only aftermarket thing I have! ;)

Just because I've read a lot about this issue I ordered an RPG aftermarket reservoir to install afterwards.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
My pump stopped working completely a couple days ago. It's hell to steer in low speeds or dry steering. I removed the small cover on the skid plate where you access the oil filter and where I assume the steering pump is located. There is power steering fluid stained into the snow that has also accumilated there. I have 8000km and I haven't done any major offloading. Just plowing through snow drifts. I have an appointment this Thursday at ford to see what the problem is. The fluid in the reservoir is still above minimum. Mines a 2012 screw. I hope my bakflip tonneau cover doesn't void my warranty! Its the only aftermarket thing I have! ;)

Just because I've read a lot about this issue I ordered an RPG aftermarket reservoir to install afterwards.

there have been many reports of loose hose clamps. follow your power steering hoses around and check for leaks at connections. could be a simple fix.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But do you think it would be worth mixing? I plan on doing a PSR but just not right now. When i do I will do something like amsoil for that but will try and flush out the old.

jaylord

Reaction score
Turns out I need a new pump. Should be replaced by tomorrow. The gentlemen at the front said the seals were leaking. Got me a fresh new courtesy car! Ford focus. I hope it can even make it down the road I live on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD