I think my power steering just took a crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Soo raptorsteve did you ever figure out your problem?

Cause i am having the SAME EXACT symptoms. (cold/at night more pronounced whining)

jaylord

Reaction score
Well my 2nd power steering pump just shit the bed. These things are pathetic. Did ford do anything to remedy this? Or is there an aftermarket one that's better? It's all covered by warranty, but The truck only has 30k km. 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, to break this down:

When air gets into the power steering fluid due to the poor design of the reservoir and/or a leak in the system. The bearings in the power steering pump build-up heat and thus fail.

Are there after market power steering pumps available which are built better than the factory pumps, that are not susceptible to this over heating?

I see a lot of people trying to increase fluid amounts, reduce the fluid temps and reduce the amount of air in the fluid system. Why not make a better pump? Sorry if this has already been discussed, just thinking out loud.

FYI, I noticed a leak in my system at Havoc, it's on my to do list.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HOWE has an awesome system that I'll be upgrading to in the near future. $1000 and it comes with a new pump and it's own reservior setup.

G & P Racing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Howe pump with the large tank w spin off filter and an inline cooler is the hot setup IMO. For coolers you can run one of their billet ones or a little Setrab with twin fans, that really helps keep things cool Ran this setup at the last event and it was awesome!

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Contact Connor at Outlaw he has a pretty good Howe system setup.. SDHQ stopped selling them because of problems. I contacted Howe directly and they told me

" Hi Greg,

Outlaw Offroad has made a kit using our Pump, Reservoir, Cooler and Hoses. I am not sure where you are located but they also do the installation!
Let Connor know we sent you.. here is their contact info, 949-581-5001 and email [email protected]"

-Greg (aka Squatting Dog)

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so to cleat things up if your pump is whining on start up when it is around freezing like mine is. Is this a sign of impending failure ?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
so to cleat things up if your pump is whining on start up when it is around freezing like mine is. Is this a sign of impending failure ?

Are you sure it's the power steering pump. There have been other members with a whining at cold start up but it isn't the power steering. Does it whine at high rpms while turning the wheel?

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No whine after the truck heats up for a coupe of min. Haven't really taken the time to narrow down where it's coming from. It's not the belt I have looked under the hood while it was whining. What has the whining been if not the pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc