I think my power steering just took a crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think mine just took a shit, did some spirited romping in yesterdays snow, got no whining or abnormal noises, she sat in the garage over night, now steering is tough at a stop or slow speeds.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No whine after the truck heats up for a coupe of min. Haven't really taken the time to narrow down where it's coming from. It's not the belt I have looked under the hood while it was whining. What has the whining been if not the pump.

I don't believe the issue has been resolved yet. I'll find the thread.

I think mine just took a shit, did some spirited romping in yesterdays snow, got no whining or abnormal noises, she sat in the garage over night, now steering is tough at a stop or slow speeds.

There she goes.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?t=20624

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Looks like mine shit the bed too...did some spirited driving yesterday for maybe 20mins max and at the end of the fun I heard a nice whining...
Drove to kids to school this morning and once briefly lost power steering in slow speed corner...tonight I look at the truck to assess what all broke last night and find a nice puddle of red fluid underneath my truck...

The irony is that I was expecting a steering reservoir and cooler to arrive last Friday...unfortunately it didn't arrive until today, Monday....Murphy's law...

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, get the dealer to warranty the pump, replace the high side hose as well, and then install your goodies this weekend.

Don't know why, but been hearing about the hoses going as well. Mine did.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least it's there now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True that!!! But first I need to figure out what went poop...

Here's how I killed mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCdUHJdosSg

at ~7:25 you can hear that beautiful whine...was a bad day...

Yeah, get the dealer to warranty the pump, replace the high side hose as well, and then install your goodies this weekend.

Don't know why, but been hearing about the hoses going as well. Mine did.

Yukon Joe
GREAT LAKES RAPTOR EXCURSIONS

Haven't looked at the truck yet - still a bit peed off. But if it was just a hose that would be great news!

Just considering just switching out to a better pump altogether and not have to worry about putting back stock exhaust, tires etc. in order to avoid getting warranty voided...kinda my bad anyways. Just didn't expect the system to be that fragile

Last edited:

G & P Racing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hear ya Glo, it should not be that fragile, but it is.

Burned out the stock setup on a barstow to vegas run, replaced under warranty.

Lost the next pump and went to a Howe modified Ford pump, ported for better flow, and a small aftermarket tank.

This seemed to work for awhile and we no longer had the "burned" oil smell as bad but heavy offroading was still cooking the oil.

Switched to a larger Howe tank, with spin off filter and inline billet cooler. This was better I think because of the increase in oil volume.

We ran last years NORRA 1000 with this setup and lost the pump. This is of course a real bitch when you slow down for any tight turns etc etc.

Next we switched to the Howe TC pump. This took a little while to get this setup correct. The first round of brackets that came with the kit where not right. Not Howe's fault, they came from an outside source. Marvin over at Outlaw took a stock mount and the new pump, created a jig and made up a very clean custom mount that has perfect alignment. This all got tested on RSV1.

I wanted this new setup on my rig for the upcoming NORRA 500 so Connor had the bracket pullled off RSV1 ( his personal truck ) and mounted on mine. Very cool support from Outlaw.

We ran this setup for the race and it held up fine. Since then we have added a larger twin fan Setrab cooler, part number FP920M221, with dual fans. The reason I went this route is that our next event is the NORRA 1000 in May. The temps are much higher at that time of year than during the 500 and its a much longer event. I want to keep the oil as cool as we can to save the pump. This setup gets some extra heavy skid plates not seen in photo.

We also carry a spare Howe pump just in case.

It may be overkill for some, but we run alot of offroad miles in tough conditions and this evolution of setups seems to work. Holding up for the 500 was the acid test, it was a damn rough course.

Here are some photos of the setup.

7236-howe-tank-w-filter-cooler.jpg

7237-howe-pump.jpg

8917-ps-oil-cooler-plumbed.jpeg

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The worst part about changing the pump is the long wait time for a replacement part. It's not a difficult job with the right tools. I did mine pretty quickly but now that I've burned one pump I'm doing a cooler and reservoir combo. There are some decent threads on here for normal trucks that'll work. I think the Howe appears to be a good system but is overkill for an average raptor owner.