I think my power steering just took a crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am on about....5 or 6th power steering pump. Last one lasted 1 day in the dirt. What sucks is the fact that it takes a few hours to replace the sumbitch.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I am on about....5 or 6th power steering pump. Last one lasted 1 day in the dirt. What sucks is the fact that it takes a few hours to replace the sumbitch.

Are you still running the stock reservoir?

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I'm not implying that the failure(s) Rick experienced are due to the PS reservoir but if his fluid is aerating then it could cause a failure of the pump. The pump bearings need to be soaked in fluid the entire time or excessive heat and wear will cause failure. The aftermarket reservoirs have internal baffling to keep the fluid from sloshing around and foaming or allowing air in to the system. Their larger capacity also has its benefits. One could further argue the aluminum construction of the aftermarket reservoirs also helps to dissipate heat assuming the ambient temp is lower than that of the fluid.

This is the inside of the RPG reservoir, it basically just has a baffle about half way down with a relatively small opening in the middle. The idea is that all of the fluid will run under that baffle when it's pumped back in to the reservoir from the top. As long as the volume of space below the baffle stays full of fluid and resists it sloshing up and out, you won't get as much aerating if any because it's pulling from the bottom.

This is only the idea behind the design and I'm not advocating for one product or another. Nor am I claiming first hand experience with the product performing as advertised. Icon sells an aftermarket PSR in addition to RPG.

dedava4a.jpg

OP
OP
imdubious

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not implying that the failure(s) Rick experienced are due to the PS reservoir but if his fluid is aerating then it could cause a failure of the pump. The pump bearings need to be soaked in fluid the entire time or excessive heat and wear will cause failure. The aftermarket reservoirs have internal baffling to keep the fluid from sloshing around and foaming or allowing air in to the system. Their larger capacity also has its benefits. One could further argue the aluminum construction of the aftermarket reservoirs also helps to dissipate heat assuming the ambient temp is lower than that of the fluid.

This is the inside of the RPG reservoir, it basically just has a baffle about half way down with a relatively small opening in the middle. The idea is that all of the fluid will run under that baffle when it's pumped back in to the reservoir from the top. As long as the volume of space below the baffle stays full of fluid and resists it sloshing up and out, you won't get as much aerating if any because it's pulling from the bottom.

This is only the idea behind the design and I'm not advocating for one product or another. Nor am I claiming first hand experience with the product performing as advertised. Icon sells an aftermarket PSR in addition to RPG.

dedava4a.jpg

This is what I figured what hppend because it died right after I did some spirited off road driving at a dirt pit. I just thought ford would have done a little better on that front as I was no where near the trucks limits. Just very bounce terrain which probably is the worst thing for getting air int the PS system.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
This is what I figured what hppend because it died right after I did some spirited off road driving at a dirt pit. I just thought ford would have done a little better on that front as I was no where near the trucks limits. Just very bounce terrain which probably is the worst thing for getting air int the PS system.

It could be. Theres several different doodads you can install to prevent problems in the future.

OP
OP
imdubious

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor is back home! I'm glad to get out of the 09 lariat 4x4 they put me in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor is back home! I'm glad to get out of the 09 lariat 4x4 they put me in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is better than the fusion they put me in... I never realized how small those cars feel until a jeep liberty pulls up next to you and your looking up at it!

-Greg