Humming/vibration/buzzing feeling in steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnamnesisV

Reaction score
Got ya! Yeah mine was the tire rubbing onto something. I thought it was the steering too and was gonna replace it but I did Gen 2 suspension all around and changed to a Toyo and vibration in wheel when turning is gone. Mine was bad especially turning left. Hope your front shocks are good as well.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you can see it in your picture 2061....the treads are cupping.....every other outside tread is higher then the next. so any off center angle is going to induce vibration. just part of dealing with big off road tires

OP
OP
blaiseam

blaiseam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can see it in your picture 2061....the treads are cupping.....every other outside tread is higher then the next. so any off center angle is going to induce vibration. just part of dealing with big off road tires
So in theory, brand new tires should not vibrate correct?

It truly feels more mechanical than tire vibrations, its almost crunchy if that makes sense.

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I've been through 3 sets of tires, each of made noises as they wore down. Buzzing from the steering wheel area at highway speed, can feel the cupped treads in parking lots, etc. I don't rotate them often either. My bet is tires.

OP
OP
blaiseam

blaiseam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been through 3 sets of tires, each of made noises as they wore down. Buzzing from the steering wheel area at highway speed, can feel the cupped treads in parking lots, etc. I don't rotate them often either. My bet is tires.
Well shit, seems like new wheels + tires have been moved up on the priority list.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This ^^ it was the first thing I saw as well. I suspect the alignment has been off a while and once the tires get cupped you either deal with it or replace. I guess you could hot knife them even, but who really does that? You could try rotating them if the backs aren’t cupped to see if that helps?

OP
OP
blaiseam

blaiseam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This ^^ it was the first thing I saw as well. I suspect the alignment has been off a while and once the tires get cupped you either deal with it or replace. I guess you could hot knife them even, but who really does that? You could try rotating them if the backs aren’t cupped to see if that helps?
I come from the car world, I have a lot to learn about trucks haha. This is on the priority list for the weekend. I will update the thread so that if some other uneducated owner comes along they'll can learn from my trials.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

I don’t that picture tells the whole story. This happens to the inside of Raptor tires frequently. I’ve not seen it on the outside but - if you look at the treads, the larger blocks on the KO2 tend to be the taller, less worn. The next block is scalloped, and appears lower.

there’s a subset of this issue incident to lack of rotation - the rear of the inside block wears more than the front.

Honestly, my tires were wearing like this from about 24k ? I checked for it when someone posted here. I rocked this wear for another 20k and did not have vibration, humming, or other odd behavior.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my tires looked like the OP at 45,000 miles. even with constant rotations. they were load and vibrated.

new tires corrected all my vibration and loudness issues.

OP
OP
blaiseam

blaiseam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictures from the side, it definitely looks like some uneven wear

Attachments

• IMG_2097.jpg
    IMG_2097.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2098.jpg