Humming/vibration/buzzing feeling in steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blaiseam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2014 SCREW with 58k miles on it and I've come to notice an annoyance. When in DEAD center going straight, the steering wheel feels smooth. However, when I turn slightly left or right, I get a buzz/vibration in the steering wheel. It also seems to be worse when the suspension is loaded and almost gone when unloaded.

It doesn't seems to get worse with speed, from 20-80mph it's just kind of there. I searched to forum and it seems like others have had this problem, but I haven't seen many solutions.

Seems like a wheel bearing to me, but this is my first truck and I've seen others propose tie rods or IWE's.

Anyone had this problem, and found a solution? Thanks so much!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
how are the tires? I’d expect if it was a hard part in the suspension it would be constant, not variable. I’d try tire rotation first to see if that makes it better, worse or stays the same.

OP
OP
blaiseam

blaiseam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how are the tires? I’d expect if it was a hard part in the suspension it would be constant, not variable. I’d try tire rotation first to see if that makes it better, worse or stays the same.

Thanks for the input. The tires were just rotated before I picked the truck up, so I don't have a before and after feeling. I'll definitely try that as a first attempt to fix.

Attached pics of the K02's

Attachments

• IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 28

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your powersteering the stock setup? Mine has the Howe pump and reservoir upgrade and the fluid gets old and causes a hum when applying pressure to either side of the rack (turning left or right) that isn't affected by vehicle speed. It's possible that you are experiencing the same thing in which case I would pull the fluid out of the reservoir and replace with new, drive a bit, repeat a couple times and see if that helps at all.

OP
OP
blaiseam

blaiseam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your powersteering the stock setup? Mine has the Howe pump and reservoir upgrade and the fluid gets old and causes a hum when applying pressure to either side of the rack (turning left or right) that isn't affected by vehicle speed. It's possible that you are experiencing the same thing in which case I would pull the fluid out of the reservoir and replace with new, drive a bit, repeat a couple times and see if that helps at all.

Completely stock setup, but this seems plausible regardless. Adding this to the list thank you!

Raptormts

Reaction score
I have a 2018. My previous vehicles were much older. Had similar issue. Turned out it was the "Lane Keeping System". Felt like a real *******! The button is right below the shifter. Technology.

AnamnesisV

Reaction score
Probably tires. I was running 35x12.50R18s and my Gen 1 did the same thing you’re mentioning. Especially in dips when turning.
I thing your tires are too wide. I changed my wheel setup went with methods with a Toyo and it stopped doing that on turns.

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018. My previous vehicles were much older. Had similar issue. Turned out it was the "Lane Keeping System". Felt like a real *******! The button is right below the shifter. Technology.
If I remember correctly the lane keeping system was introduced with the Gen 2 and the electronic assist steering vice hydraulic power steering.

OP
OP
blaiseam

blaiseam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look on youtube to completely flush and fill the PS and add a good fluid to help the seals.
Going to flush the PS system this weeeknd thank you.

Gen 1 with no lane keep, kinda glad haha

Probably tires. I was running 35x12.50R18s and my Gen 1 did the same thing you’re mentioning. Especially in dips when turning.
I thing your tires are too wide. I changed my wheel setup went with methods with a Toyo and it stopped doing that on turns.
I have stock KO2's, wouldn't every Raptor have this problem then?

My hunch is that it's either the power steering or a wheel bearing. I have a 2000 Audi S4 which commonly have wheel bearings go out, and this feels similar, but not nearly as bad. I have a 90 day/4,000 mile warranty from the dealer, so I'm just trying to point these mechanics in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter