How many more yrs do we have of the Ford Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlaynCA

Reaction score
Amazing how the politics is outpacing the engineering, logistics and infrastructure. Per EPA, EV Batteries are currently an unsolved hazardous waste problem, they are not engineered or standardized to be recycled, and methods of reclaiming the cobalt and nickel are neither cost effective nor environmentally low impact. Principal natural sources are in geopolitically unstable areas… yet mandates are driving automakers to accelerate producing EV before solutions are defined and required.
Electrical generation, transmission, and distribution need significant upgrades to handle the additional load, even more so here in CA. Green energy has it’s own problems. Nuclear is interesting, but power plants take decades to build.
So…our leadership has leaped to EV without looking. the WTF moments can’t be too far off, so I suspect that will give ICE more longevity, hybrid even longer. Hydrogen looks to me to be the long term solution, with a short term EV frenzy before pivoting.
My ideal view of a Raptor would be a couple thousand pounds lighter than the current truck, so I view anything EV, hybrid, etc will be less “Raptor like” to me.
The O&G industry isn’t going anywhere, the World is highly dependent on petrochemicals for just about everything in our modern lives, as such oil politics will live long.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until long term sustainable fusion reactors are harnessed then I cant see EV's being a primary source of transportation. The US power grid has poor infrastructure and will need trillions of dollars in upgrades. In Congo a large source of nickel, cobalt, lithium and other elements has been discovered however removing miles of jungle and strip mining is not better for the environment. Several Canadian companies are working on extraction (#stocktip)

Humanity is beyond the tipping point where anything we change now isn't going to radically alter biospheric degradation, overpopulation is a greater threat than vehicle emissions.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Amazing how the politics is outpacing the engineering, logistics and infrastructure. Per EPA, EV Batteries are currently an unsolved hazardous waste problem, they are not engineered or standardized to be recycled, and methods of reclaiming the cobalt and nickel are neither cost effective nor environmentally low impact. Principal natural sources are in geopolitically unstable areas… yet mandates are driving automakers to accelerate producing EV before solutions are defined and required.

But....climate change! If we don't all switch to EVs, the world will end in 12 years!

Electrical generation, transmission, and distribution need significant upgrades to handle the additional load, even more so here in CA. Green energy has it’s own problems. Nuclear is interesting, but power plants take decades to build.
So…our leadership has leaped to EV without looking.

They looked at what mattered to leadership. Votes. What actually happens as a result of their policy is irrelevant.

the WTF moments can’t be too far off, so I suspect that will give ICE more longevity, hybrid even longer. Hydrogen looks to me to be the long term solution, with a short term EV frenzy before pivoting.
My ideal view of a Raptor would be a couple thousand pounds lighter than the current truck, so I view anything EV, hybrid, etc will be less “Raptor like” to me.
The O&G industry isn’t going anywhere, the World is highly dependent on petrochemicals for just about everything in our modern lives, as such oil politics will live long.

I don't think the people who are calling for the end of fossil fuels really understand how massive the industry is, or just how dependent the world is on these fuels. And it's not just a matter of not having a viable replacement right now, but the massive amount of money invested in providing fossil fuels over the next couple decades. Seriously, if a miracle happened, we get cold fusion that totally replaces the need for all fossil fuels in 5 years, abandoning the industry would destroy the economies of most of the planet and throw us into a new dark age.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Humanity is beyond the tipping point where anything we change now isn't going to radically alter biospheric degradation, overpopulation is a greater threat than vehicle emissions.

Disagree regarding overpopulation. More accurately, it may be a threat to the environment, but not exactly to the well being of the human race. Increased population has been a big factor in the massive advancements we've made in the past century, compared to past times. The volume of people working on advancements, rather than just on staying alive, and solved so many issues we don't even think about anymore. It allows us to use massively expensive systems of communication, transportation, etc, that would just make no sense with smaller populations.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Disagree regarding overpopulation. More accurately, it may be a threat to the environment, but not exactly to the well being of the human race. Increased population has been a big factor in the massive advancements we've made in the past century, compared to past times. The volume of people working on advancements, rather than just on staying alive, and solved so many issues we don't even think about anymore. It allows us to use massively expensive systems of communication, transportation, etc, that would just make no sense with smaller populations.
Good example of coins have two sides

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Up here in Granola/tree hugging country in British Columbia, EV sales last year accounted for 15% of all new vehicles sales. The infrastructure is here now to support this amount of EV’s, for the typical commuters, there is rest stops on the highways with charging stations on the popular routes, but for long distance driving, the batteries just don’t last long enough to take an EV across country/countries.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good example of coins have two sides

I actually heard that overpopulation argument from Elon Musk. I think he was talking more about how we're going to run into some serious issues if population decreases though, rather than giving credit to how we got where we are today.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Up here in Granola/tree hugging country in British Columbia, EV sales last year accounted for 15% of all new vehicles sales. The infrastructure is here now to support this amount of EV’s, for the typical commuters, there is rest stops on the highways with charging stations on the popular routes, but for long distance driving, the batteries just don’t last long enough to take an EV across country/countries.

Around here, I think people primarily use them for driving around town. Most of the public chargers are in mall parking lots and similar locations. You rarely see them used, and I think they are even free in many cases. I get the impression that anyone using them is more interested in the parking space closer into the mall/restaurant/etc than actually needing to charge.

I also get the impression that, around here, people aren't getting them to safe the planet, but because it's an interesting toy that makes the commute to work a little more pleasant. I mean, if you're looking for a sedan, your spouse has the vehicle you need for long trips, and you get that nice government rebate, why not? Also, you never see Biden stickers on a Tesla, those are on the Prius, Leaf, or POS cars.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Around here, I think people primarily use them for driving around town. Most of the public chargers are in mall parking lots and similar locations. You rarely see them used, and I think they are even free in many cases. I get the impression that anyone using them is more interested in the parking space closer into the mall/restaurant/etc than actually needing to charge.

I also get the impression that, around here, people aren't getting them to safe the planet, but because it's an interesting toy that makes the commute to work a little more pleasant. I mean, if you're looking for a sedan, your spouse has the vehicle you need for long trips, and you get that nice government rebate, why not? Also, you never see Biden stickers on a Tesla, those are on the Prius, Leaf, or POS cars.
You will see lots of them up here, they can’t keep a Mach-e on the showroom floor, we do pay a lot more for fuel up North here so, you will notice the electric vehicles. There are also very popular on the highways for non-commuters that are making trips averaging 3-4 hours max, possibly stopping at a rest stop for a quick charge while they take in the scenery and drop a load. I have no idea how long it takes these fast charges to put a partial charge into these vehicles but they are being used regularly. I think if more people down south we’re paying what we are for fuel, there might be a bigger push for EV’s, idk, it comes down to a cultural way of thinking as well. I’m personally not there yet but I know if I needed another vehicle and an EV was within my price range it would make a good vehicle for going to Starbucks, dog park or down to the beach, but road trips, no way!

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually heard that overpopulation argument from Elon Musk. I think he was talking more about how we're going to run into some serious issues if population decreases though, rather than giving credit to how we got where we are today.
That sounds like what Ian Malcom said about how the scientists didn’t earn the knowledge, they just ran with it…. Or something.

I picked a hard one to paraphrase

Meaning of population decreases they will have the knowledge but didn’t earn it themselves kind of thing