How many of you have had to replace the tailgate actuator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had this same thing after the recall. Not sure if they just fudged a wiring splice or actually replaced an actuator.
Same issue here. Button on tailgate didn’t work, but it worked with fob at least. I started by replacing the actuator, which was dumb in retrospect because it still worked with the fob. Still no joy.

Eventually took it to dealer who said I had a chaffed wire and spliced it back for $200.

MNRAPTR

Reaction score
Mine works with the key FOB but not the button on the tailgate. Doesn't seem like it would be the actuator when it works fine with the FOB. What would the issue be? Thanks!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Mine works with the key FOB but not the button on the tailgate. Doesn't seem like it would be the actuator when it works fine with the FOB. What would the issue be? Thanks!

Has the TSB been done on your truck for the unintentional tailgate opening?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you try hitting the tailgate button twice just like the fob?

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that pressure against the tailgate from inside (when loaded up) is too much resistance for the weak actuator. I can hear it click but won’t unlatch and release.

I push-in the tailgate as I hit the release button. This alleviates the pressure on the actuator and gets it to open every time. FWIW…

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the peasant spec truck. Just has the old fashion ( reliable ) handle. Works everytime