How many more yrs do we have of the Ford Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
LGB - there 'I'm out of reality'. The only person out of reality is old Brandon himself.

Now...I think we have 3-4 more years. And for for those that think, oh let's save the planet and go green--why is China BUILDING coal plants monthly? I'll tell you what, we should make a deal with the globalist freaks, once China goes all green so will we. Until then, I kind like my gas trucks. Electric anything ain't going to be cheap (and they still need coal and natural gas for those electric plants) and the infrustructure ISN'T there and won't be for a decade +++.

Once I find out the Raptor is done being ICE for sure I'll buy another new one and keep it til wheels drop off.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The next republican administration will cancel FJBs executive order when it comes to these mileage mandates. GM and Ford will continue down the woke path bringing to market many new EV cars and trucks that no one will want nor afford. ICE vehicles will continue to be around for the next 20 years at least. I wouldn’t let what you read get your ******* in a twist. The green deal is dead in 18 months.

This. Besides the shift in government pressure on EVs, I just don't see the industry building up the infrastructure, solving the problems with EVs, and convincing a huge volume of consumers that EV is what they want, in a matter of years. EVs make some sense for some applications, but far from all.

EVs make around 5-10% of all sales right now, and you can't find them on any lots to even test drive. That's going to jump to 100% in 3 years? The supply chain is going to completely flip over in 3 years? The battery/weight ratio, range, loss of range under load and acclimate weather...all going to be resolved? All the ICE diehards are going to change their minds and buy an EV?

I wouldn't be too surprised if Ford manages a hybrid Raptor, but they won't do that unless it's an improvement in performance. They could also restrict production some. They will sell more EVs and hybrids overall, so they will have some room under the CAFE standard. I think Ford would rather sell more Raptors than V8 trucks or mustangs, so I think those will go, or reduce sale volume, before the Raptor.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Might be alone in this but I think ford will make a raptor EV fairly soon and it will kick all the other EV off-roading trucks out of the water. The lightning is probably the only EV truck I’d buy since it’s a reasonable price, decent range, and looks the best. Hopefully it lives up to its expectations.

Hate to say it but the way things are looking, EV vehicles are becoming the next big thing and gasoline vehicles will become antiques. It’s for the better long term but it sucks we are starting with consumer vehicles rather than the industrial sector which is far worse than personal vehicles.
EV would be better for rock crawling than airing out. The torque and control would work in your favor. And they have to solve the range problem. Hot or cold temps and range drops in half. Off road in the summer? The spec sheet better list the range as 1000+ miles. So it's going to be a heavy pig. Design it to catch air and now the frame and suspension get way heavy, too. 10,000lb curb weight? It could happen if they do a true Baja EV. Personally, I have no interest. It might make the other EV off road trucks look lame, but any ICE Raptor will blow it out of the water. Except at traffic lights and at the mall. I have zero interest in that. If Ford switches early, I won't be buying a Ford. I'll buy the last of the ICE vehicles and drive it until I'm too old to hike. After that, I won't need range or cargo capacity or offroad ability and would be fine with an EV.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You also have to figure that as EVs become more mainstream, lefties will start recognizing that there are lots of environmental issues with the tech that they can complain about. That, plus a couple collapses of the electric grid do to EVs, or people un able to evacuate a natural disaster due to EVs...and people won't be so eager for them anymore.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
You also have to figure that as EVs become more mainstream, lefties will start recognizing that there are lots of environmental issues with the tech that they can complain about. That, plus a couple collapses of the electric grid do to EVs, or people un able to evacuate a natural disaster due to EVs...and people won't be so eager for them anymore.
Don't count on that. The lefties don't think like that. They will let things collapse and blame something else--not their precious cause of climate change. As a matter of fact they will double down like they do on all of their causes when the smoke screen is exposed. They are not logical thinkers.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't count on that. The lefties don't think like that. They will let things collapse and blame something else--not their precious cause of climate change. As a matter of fact they will double down like they do on all of their causes when the smoke screen is exposed. They are not logical thinkers.

I'm not saying they will exactly turn on EVs entirely, I'm saying they will start to recognize the environmental issues of EVs. For example, they will realize their are issues with mining lithium. Or that power plants are not producing enough power on renewables to meet demand. That's going to slow growth of EVs, even if lefties don't feel that it should.

Lefties, tend to look at issues in isolation, and only at the surface. They don't really consider cause and effect, or that they hold positions that are contradictory. For example, the believe in women's rights, but also support a man's right to become a woman while refusing to define what a woman is...effectively destroying women's rights. I do not put it past them to believe all vehicles should be EVs while protesting the steps required to make that happen.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
EV would be better for rock crawling than airing out. The torque and control would work in your favor. And they have to solve the range problem. Hot or cold temps and range drops in half. Off road in the summer? The spec sheet better list the range as 1000+ miles. So it's going to be a heavy pig. Design it to catch air and now the frame and suspension get way heavy, too. 10,000lb curb weight? It could happen if they do a true Baja EV. Personally, I have no interest. It might make the other EV off road trucks look lame, but any ICE Raptor will blow it out of the water. Except at traffic lights and at the mall. I have zero interest in that. If Ford switches early, I won't be buying a Ford. I'll buy the last of the ICE vehicles and drive it until I'm too old to hike. After that, I won't need range or cargo capacity or offroad ability and would be fine with an EV.
I tend to keep my vehicles for the long haul, if mandates dont cause the ice to go away, then I can always keep my gen 1 operational as is, if ev is mandated then I can retrofit the gen 1 to accommodate that as well. There are already kits out there (mind you too expensive now), but there will be lots of kits in the future I believe for enthusiast. People have been "hot rodding" or as todays term "resto-mod" and will "ev-mod" in the future.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The next republican administration will cancel FJBs executive order when it comes to these mileage mandates.

Besides the shift in government pressure on EVs, I just don't see the industry building up the infrastructure, solving the problems with EVs, and convincing a huge volume of consumers that EV is what they want, in a matter of years. EVs make some sense for some applications, but far from all.
Bingo. I am not seeing the solution for hauling heavy cargo from the train depot to inland ‘ports’ or the shipping yard to distribution center, typically done by tractor trailers.

I like the concept of electrical power, I don’t like the lack of range.
I wouldn't be too surprised if Ford manages a hybrid Raptor, but they won't do that unless it's an improvement in performance.
Well ... I’m kind of with you here, but not entirely. Performance definitely didn’t improve leaving the muscle car era and I do hope that your thought line is correct but I don’t see that being viable. The Lincoln Aviator can give you a glimpse of this. You get some power and a lot of torque, but you gain a whole lot of weight. That’s a redesign from the ground up - different springs with different weights, much need to validate some of the AL components for durability, frame, wheels, tires - all of it.

Now an actual Super Duty, where weight wouldn’t be so much of a concern? maybe. Then you lose crap tons of range.

They are not logical thinkers.
True. The activist and activist class on the left are ‘emotional’ thinkers and arguers. Those on the right are ‘fact based’ thinkers and arguers. Each argue and think to the extreme of this concept to the point of exclusivity and it usually ends in a pretty lofty disagreement that doesn’t get resolved.

Out of the gate, the left’s strategy is more successful. Most people are sympathetic to emotional pleas and arguments. “GTTXRAP, if we can save just ONE LIFE, wouldn’t you want to do that?” - of course, it could be your life after all, but it’s always a loaded question. The right’s strategy is more typically numbers, percentages and ‘fact’ based “GTTXRAP, we can achieve a 30% reduction in crime by ensuring cars aren’t parked on the street and in driveways, so can we count on your support for a law to ban street parking?"
The right’s strategy is a better defensive one, and not good for offense.

EVs, if done smartly, could render OPEC irrelevant. If you’re an American who lived through the early 70’s embargo, you likely want this. I for one definitely want to see us not beholden to OPEC and being able to send them the “Boston Hello” at some point in the future.

BalorGrayJax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure your going to end up with an "out of this world" Baja suspension with that 10k lb curb weight that massive Hummer style battery is going to net you

Tech for batteries will only advance, as solid state becomes readily available and accessible the weight will come down dramatically. Beyond that though, the Lightning is less than a 1000lbs heavier as is with its 130kwh pack. Less than the 200kwh in the Hummer but it's not just the battery contributing to the weight of the new Hummer EV either.

Considering the capabilities of the R1T I'm not concerned with this at all. As the tech advances, we'll see what I want to see, it's almost a forgone conclusion of when vs if.