High Mileage Concerns on Gen1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supra

Reaction score
Keep an eye out for a set of used shocks, whatever you get will most likely need them.

I got a used set of fronts and rears in great condition on here for $100 total. Rebuilt them for $800 (upgraded seals, etc) from Texas Shock Works.
How’s the ride now? I have one leaking shock, I assume they are all pretty old so I’ll likely be doing all 4

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How’s the ride now? I have one leaking shock, I assume they are all pretty old so I’ll likely be doing all 4

I haven’t put them on yet. I was going to wait out the IL winter to save them from the salt, but I am really interested in finding out what the difference is in ride quality compared to my nearly 100k mi current ones.

I’ll let you know once I get them on here in a few weeks hopefully.

OP
OP
yubayogi

yubayogi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So instead of rebuilding if it wasn’t super expensive would you guys put on the 2019 version of the Fox shocks? I don’t know the price difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you found a truck yet? There are several in your range here in TX.
As for the "can I run Gen 2 shocks" This topic has been beat to death.
Can you? Yes.. rears easy, front requires a different spring etc.
Should you? No

Are you going to use the truck just on the street, or do you plan to play off road?
If you intend to actually use the truck off road, I would save your money and look for a 3.0 shock set up. Great investment

BTW, if you can settle for a 12, I have a friend with a 2012 white for sale with complete Icon 3.0 set up, with bumps . He is asking $34000

OP
OP
yubayogi

yubayogi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey @Canuck714, thanks for the reply! Not looking to swap the shocks but I was just thinking if I had to rebuild an old pair on a truck I purchase what would it take to run the 3.0's. I don't plan on going off-road much now but I do go to the snow a lot and sometimes hunting out here in Ca. when I can find a spot.

As for year, yeah I really want a 2014 first choice, and 2013. I have an opportunity to grab a 2013 for $30k 98k miles but I don't entirely trust the history of the truck it went through a dealer in Florida and there are no service records at all. Also there are a few guys that have reached out directly and I am waiting for more info. I am in no hurry so if you have info/links to those other Texas trucks please send them over I would appreciate it.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only one I personally know is the 12 I mentioned. Autotrader TX has a bunch.

As for the 3.0'.. If you are not doing anything severe, then a rebuild through Forged would be perfect. You may even have an offroad shop close to you that can rebuild your 2.5's. Add a flutter stack and use good seals and you will be happy on the street and light off-road.

I dont have personal experience with Milo, but a buddy in NorCal with a built Taco had him rebuild his Kings at a reasonable price. look up @milogenfabrications on instagram.
Any race shop that does King or Icon, can usually do FOX

DONDO965

Reaction score
Be patient!! I finally found the one I was looking for....2013 Blue Flame Metallic with blue interior SCAB I picked up last may for $25k. it did have 132k miles on it but it was only 1 owner and thoroughly documented service history. Bought and serviced at same dealership throughout. All stock. I put on an exhaust, CAI, and tune as soon as I got it home. I also had the shocks rebuilt. I wouldnt hesitate to drive it back to NY or anywhere tomorrow. So far no problems at all...(knock on wood) :).

I found it on Autotrader. Im from TX and it was in NY. I had them take to a dealership and do pre inspection. All turned out great and flew up to NY and drove it back down to TX. 1814 miles Glad I did because I got to learn so much about the truck and how awesome it is!! I love it!!

OP
OP
yubayogi

yubayogi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am being super patient and I have my price point and desired colors.

I am going to avoid salt states so unfortunately I think NY NJ are salt states. Have you seen any issues with rust or effects on your truck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DONDO965

Reaction score
Negative. No rust issues...there was some on shocks but took care of that when I had them rebuilt. i got it ceramic coated/paint correction when i brought it home and sprayed the hell outta the undercarriage and put some rust inhibitor on everything just to make sure...so far so good.