Hey Guys - How Important Is the Tailgate Step?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its a deal breaker for me, I would not even consider a truck without one. If your loading the bed with a lot of stuff it saves a bunch of hassle getting in and out, if your loading the bed full of stuff it gives you a place to perch and set up your tie downs, if your parked on a steep hill it puts the bed back in access range... silly to be without.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Forgot to say, I use the step to load my wheels in and out of the bed.

Hand bombing 100lb wheels is not fun.

ROb B

Reaction score
Hey! Picking up a 2020 this week. I have a few options with the 802A trucks. One has the Tailgate Step. One does not. I'm a tall guy so getting in and out of the bed is not an issue for me. The truck will be sitting outdoors here in Maryland, so I'm just wondering if rain, condensation, or other gunk getting in there can cause issues with the tailgate. I would probably use it 5% of the time---of course I say that now.

Just wondeing form the experts here if this is something that I should REALLY be sure to get. Better to ask now than pay later:)

Regards,
John

ROb B

Reaction score
Hey! Picking up a 2020 this week. I have a few options with the 802A trucks. One has the Tailgate Step. One does not. I'm a tall guy so getting in and out of the bed is not an issue for me. The truck will be sitting outdoors here in Maryland, so I'm just wondering if rain, condensation, or other gunk getting in there can cause issues with the tailgate. I would probably use it 5% of the time---of course I say that now.

Just wondeing form the experts here if this is something that I should REALLY be sure to get. Better to ask now than pay later:)

Regards,
John
I live in NJ and have the 2019 since Jan with the step and love it. Been through, snow, salt, mud, etc. and no issues.

GT MAN

Reaction score
I didn't think I would like it but it's really handy. Of course I am only 5'8" and 60 years old, so hell ya it worth it.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only use it when loading my MX bike in the bed. Other that I dont use

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Regards,
John

I have the step and I love it. I ordered my truck to specification and included it because why not when you're already spending the money. It's very handy if you're loading up the bed with heavy stuff. Like if you need to move heavy stuff to the front of the bed (nearest the cab) it's easiest if you can walk into the bed. The step makes that practical without having to climb in and then lift your stuff again. Do you have to have it? Of course not. Is it handy? Definitely.

Also, I'm 6'2". Doesn't really matter if you're tall. Unless you're 8ft tall the step is going to be helpful.

Jraptor78

Reaction score
On my 2018 the step doubles up as a bench to sit on for putting on ski boots, or changing out of muddy shoes. I too thought it could be silly but find myself using it alot. I had a regular 2015 f150 before the raptor that did not have the feature.

zhengyucoo

Reaction score
I don't use it much personally. I'm 6'2" usually I can hop right in without it. I don't use the bed much neither.