Hey Guys - How Important Is the Tailgate Step?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timekeeper

Reaction score
Hey! Picking up a 2020 this week. I have a few options with the 802A trucks. One has the Tailgate Step. One does not. I'm a tall guy so getting in and out of the bed is not an issue for me. The truck will be sitting outdoors here in Maryland, so I'm just wondering if rain, condensation, or other gunk getting in there can cause issues with the tailgate. I would probably use it 5% of the time---of course I say that now.

Just wondeing form the experts here if this is something that I should REALLY be sure to get. Better to ask now than pay later:)

Regards,
John

MORaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! Picking up a 2020 this week. I have a few options with the 802A trucks. One has the Tailgate Step. One does not. I'm a tall guy so getting in and out of the bed is not an issue for me. The truck will be sitting outdoors here in Maryland, so I'm just wondering if rain, condensation, or other gunk getting in there can cause issues with the tailgate. I would probably use it 5% of the time---of course I say that now.

Just wondeing form the experts here if this is something that I should REALLY be sure to get. Better to ask now than pay later:)

Regards,
John

I did not have the step on my 2014 and I got in and out fine, didn't think I needed it on my 2018, but the truck I found had the step. Now, I use it every time I am getting into the bed - I will definitely get it on my next truck. Great feature in my opinion, like everything else on my 2018 (now with 50,000 miles) I have not had a single issue. Good Luck!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Regards,
John

I'm tall as well - but other folks getting into your bed might not be. Previous truck didn't have it - never thought about it. Current truck has it, and I've found it to be convenient at times. It's also a nice foot rest if you are sitting on your tailgate. I could live without it, but I like having it and would choose it in the future.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use mine all the time. Almost every time I get into the bed. I agree that it’s not a deal breaker, but all things being equal, I would choose the truck that has the step. Love it, and I’ve had no problems with it.

D3 SS 3D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it highly useful, but I'm likely shorter than you so it could predominately be due to that. Also, at this value point (aka: over 70K MSRP), what's an extra few hundred $, haha!

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a deal breaker, but I use it everytime i get in and out of the bed. It is hugely convenient! I haven't experienced any issues at all.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use it all the time. Would not purchase another truck with out it!

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
I'm tall as well - but other folks getting into your bed might not be. Previous truck didn't have it - never thought about it. Current truck has it, and I've found it to be convenient at times. It's also a nice foot rest if you are sitting on your tailgate. I could live without it, but I like having it and would choose it in the future.
Ditto...never had it, thought it was a gimmicky option...now l use it all the time and it saves my knees!