Tailgate Stuck!!! 2022 Electronic Tailgate Not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

This is something that has been happening consistently lately and for an extended period of time. I'm not sure what allows it to work, maybe sitting for a couple days it'll work randomly. However, my tailgate button on the back, inside the truck, and on the key fob will produce a beeping sound any time it is pressed but the tailgate will remain closed. There is no warning or alert that pops up when this beep occurs, the sound is at the rear by the tailgate as well as inside the truck. I keep thinking that it has to do with rear occupancy or seat belt alert but that doesn't seem right. I believe the times that it has worked has been when the truck is unlocked and me and my key are not around it. For example, my wife would go to open it and put something in the bed of the truck before I come outside to start up the truck and leave. But then once we get to where we are going I won't be able to open it so I have to open my tonneau and climb up and grab the stuff out of the bed. Shutting the truck off even for a couple hours and coming back to it the beeping will still occur, so the issue remains even it has been shut off. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. I have barely seen anything on this, maybe an option would be to pull the tailgate fuse or try to reseat it.

shank_guru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the battery good? I’d get it tested.
Maybe disconnect the battery for 30 minutes then try again?

If not, possible the module is bad? If the above doesn’t help, dealer time.

OP
OP
BIZZnice

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Battery should be brand new…less than 10k miles. It’s started acting up after these recent Ford sync updates….

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score

Didn't someone here have the wiring getting rubbed where it passes through the tailgate or something? Sounds familiar.

OP
OP
BIZZnice

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember. Seems like a grommet had fallen out and the wire insulation got rubbed through and grounded something.
I pushed the cable around a bit to see if that could help but no luck….

I did get a confirmation though on what happened last, my wife said the button was used last to open the tailgate, when the button was pressed to close it it beeped and wouldn’t close, so she manually lifted it up and closed it. It’s been stuck closed beeping ever since….

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2 things about this

If you have a bed cover, that could be the issue but....I had the same issue and it was diagnosed as a bad module in the tailgate. It was swapped and repaired and have had no issues since.