Hey Guys - How Important Is the Tailgate Step?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirkw

Reaction score
I find that I use it most of the time. There were some applications, like loading my motorcycle, where it has turned out to be immensely helpful. Was kind of meh when I purchased the truck, but after living with it I wouldn't get one without a step. My truck also loves outside and I have had no issues with guns or other elements. Great feature!

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! Picking up a 2020 this week. I have a few options with the 802A trucks. One has the Tailgate Step. One does not. I'm a tall guy so getting in and out of the bed is not an issue for me. The truck will be sitting outdoors here in Maryland, so I'm just wondering if rain, condensation, or other gunk getting in there can cause issues with the tailgate. I would probably use it 5% of the time---of course I say that now.

Just wondeing form the experts here if this is something that I should REALLY be sure to get. Better to ask now than pay later:)

Regards,
John

Dont know how old you are...BUT..your knees will love you for it...and,no,being outside doesnt effect it in any way,at least not on my 2014,its pretty well protected with the top plate that turns into the step.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very useful! I’m 72 yrs young and crawling up on the knees is not something I would enjoy. Jumping out of the bed is not an option. That step is wonderful!

SMauro

Reaction score
You will appreciate it a lot. I have had my Raptor since 2012. I am now 65 and also 6’1” but it is so nice to be able to climb up in with the help of handle and step.

cooooop_ks

Reaction score
I have it and I use it all the time. If you have it, you will use. Mine is parked outside most of the time, but I have a tonneau cover, but I have had no problems with crap getting into it.

IT8NTEZ

Reaction score
I would definitely get that option again. When I am bored I make my wife go up and down and pretend it's a stripper pole.

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is something you must have! I don't have it and i have difficulties to load my bike. My previous truck was much lower (honda ridjeline). This gives me bad times ... i always need to carry my bike stander to step on it.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a deal breaker for me. I would not have gotten my Raptor without it. Its just way more convenient to have the option. I have read on here some complaints about dragging things out of the bed and catching on the cover when its stowed and ripping it off. So just be aware of that. I dont have that issue with mine since my truck came with factory ramps and there is a lip above the step cover.