Help!!! W.O.T. rattle/noise at 5200 rpm, Second Lemon Law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine occassionally sounds like a rattle snack, for about 2 seconds at low RPM.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive wide open throttled the truck in sport mode since day one and use Costco 91. No strange noises except the hard upshift from 3-4, 5-6. Sometimes I get strange clunking noise when slowing down and transmission seems confused that I’m slowing down. I got the flood warranty so will drive it like I stole it until it won’t go anymore. I wouldn’t have bought the truck to baby it.

What is the production date of your Raptor? MIne is an early March, 2018, date, and I occasionally (more often than not, really) had a very hard 3-4 / 5-6 shift issue until I found out there was a TSB out and a reflash for the transmission was available. I took it in to the dealer, referenced this: http://www.tokenradio.net/Radio/SharedFiles/ManualsTfer/9752.pdf I had them flash the transmission (at about 28,000 miles on the vehicle, about 22,000 miles ago now) and the trans has been simply fantastic since then.

The harsh shift was essentially the only complaint I had with the vehicle from day one, and I like the truck so much I was willing to put up with it until I found out how easy the fix was. I should have done it sooner.

(edit) Oh, and per the OPS post and question, I run mine pretty hard, WOT 0 to 75-80 is pretty much a daily thing at some point during the day, and often several times a day. WOT 0 -100 is not uncommon, although not daily. 91 Octane gas is about the best I can get here, and that is what is in it all the time. Other than the harsh shift, now long gone, I have had no issues and no odd noises. I am at just under 50k miles on my 2018 SCREW / 802A.

T!

Last edited:

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is the production date of your Raptor? MIne is an early March, 2018, date, and I occasionally (more often than not, really) had a very hard 3-4 / 5-6 shift issue until I found out there was a TSB out and a reflash for the transmission was available. I took it in to the dealer, referenced this: http://www.tokenradio.net/Radio/SharedFiles/ManualsTfer/9752.pdf I had them flash the transmission (at about 28,000 miles on the vehicle, about 22,000 miles ago now) and the trans has been simply fantastic since then.

The harsh shift was essentially the only complaint I had with the vehicle from day one, and I like the truck so much I was willing to put up with it until I found out how easy the fix was. I should have done it sooner.

(edit) Oh, and per the OPS post and question, I run mine pretty hard, WOT 0 to 75-80 is pretty much a daily thing at some point during the day, and often several times a day. WOT 0 -100 is not uncommon, although not daily. 91 Octane gas is about the best I can get here, and that is what is in it all the time. Other than the harsh shift, now long gone, I have had no issues and no odd noises. I am at just under 50k miles on my 2018 SCREW / 802A.

T!

Can anyone else besides Ford do this flash for the PCM? Or can you just go in and request the flash?

Biggwrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone else besides Ford do this flash for the PCM? Or can you just go in and request the flash?
Depends on your relationship with dealer. If you want it flashed under warranty, they have to “verify” the complaint. I did with mine, they took it for a drive. They said it was word for word what the tsb said. So they performed the flash.

night and day on mine. Much better.

If they cant verify the complaint, it might take a couple visits or they could try to charge you for the time. Tho haven’t heard that happening to anyone yet.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
If you have Forscan, try resetting the trans adaptive shifting, works for me. I would have the dealer re-flash first though and see if it last's like it did for OriginalToken. I did the dealer route and it worked for a good while. After wonky shifting returned, they said nothing they could do. I have reset it with Forscan twice now.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just feel like... I can go in and say hey, your ************* transmission is banging a little harder than I am comfortable with. Here is a potential solution.

How long is a flash ?

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just feel like... I can go in and say hey, your ************* transmission is banging a little harder than I am comfortable with. Here is a potential solution.

How long is a flash ?

That is pretty much what I did, I went in and said "trans is shifting harder than I like, here is a TSB on the subject, I would like it done". At first one of the counter people started talking about diagnostics to confirm the issue, but then the other guy said no, just schedule the work. They scheduled a day, I took it in, and they had the truck less than 2 hours total time. It was a night and day change, especially 3-4 and 5-6 shifts. That was 22k+ miles ago, and it still shifts just fine for me.

T!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter