Help!!! W.O.T. rattle/noise at 5200 rpm, Second Lemon Law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having diagnosed and repaired this issue, partially engaged IWEs (hubs) make a rattle sound. In fact, I have seen technicians misdiagnose the vehicle as having a timing chain rattle when in fact it was the IWEs. One tech even replaced the timing chain, tensioners, and phasers thinking that it was the engine. I drove it and immediately confirmed my suspicions; IWE noise. It was simply a bad check valve.

thanks for the reply and information. I will test it out in 2wd and 4A and report back.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If this IWE isnt corrected, bad hubs will be the next issue correct?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If this IWE isnt corrected, bad hubs will be the next issue correct?

The IWE (Integrated Wheel End) is included as a causal part in the Pinpoint Test. The hub - which is the wheel bearing itself - has nothing to do with the system. So if the engine produces sufficient vacuum and the IWE system can hold it to spec, the Pinpoint Test will have the technician test the IWE. If vacuum can't be built/held in the IWE, the diaphragm is damaged, at which point the IWE needs to be replaced.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first 2018 Raptor was reclaimed by Ford under California's Lemon Law after they could not fix the same wide open throttle, 2WD, 5200-5500 rpm, NOISE/RATTLE that happens while shifting from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th in the 50-75 mph range. Floor the truck allowing the transmission to shift when it wants to in 2WD only, and it makes the noise every time in the 50-75 mph range. Truck does not make the noise in 4WD. It took a year for Ford to build me a 2019 and deliver it. New Truck did not make the noise till 1500 miles. Now my 2019 makes the same exact noise and the local dealership had the truck for 2 weeks with absolutely no luck fixing it. The Area Field Technician has been involved the whole time. I am running 91 Octane Chevron gas and they do not feel that it is an engine detonation. Because the noise only happens in 2WD, The dealership thinks the problem is in the transfer case. The Dealership replaced every single part in the vacuum system that locks up the front wheels in 4WD TWICE in my 2018 and it did not fix it (yes the hubs to). They disconnected the vacuum lines to the hubs on my 2019 and it still makes the noise. 2019 Truck in going to a new dealership today for a fresh set of eyes to look at. They replaced the cheap vacuum lines and check valve twice on my 2018. They checked the wastegate in my 2019 for the rattle, and say it is tight. Any Ideas??? Would somebody please go run their GEN 2 raptor from a stand still to 75 mph in 2WD and reply if it makes the same noise (kinda sounds like engine detonation/ping). Any help would be greatly appreciated before I have to have a SECOND GEN 2 reclaimed under the Lemon Law. A California Raptor with 91 Octane would help when trying to compare apples to apples just in case it is detonation.

Westy737- what ended up happening with this issue? I’m pretty sure my 2019 (8,000mi) has done this in the past.

Biggwrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yall are making me afraid to try wide open throttle.. Never have, but that seems to be where people have issues.

Westy, what bay dealer you go to?

ademarco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive wide open throttled the truck in sport mode since day one and use Costco 91. No strange noises except the hard upshift from 3-4, 5-6. Sometimes I get strange clunking noise when slowing down and transmission seems confused that I’m slowing down. I got the flood warranty so will drive it like I stole it until it won’t go anymore. I wouldn’t have bought the truck to baby it.

Hope your issue gets resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just confirmed mine makes the rattle under WOT in 2wd around the 4th to 5th gear change.

If it only occurs in 2WD and not in 4A, bring it into the dealer to have them perform the Diagnostics I provided previously. It literally could be as simple as a bad check valve, which would be my guess based on the conditions you've described the concern occurring under.